Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Diesel Superhawk

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 09:22 AM
Squid

gimpy
Diesel Superhawk

I have tried to figure this out myself but I cannot seem to locate the source of this noise. It sounds like diesel engine and the noise is coming from the right crankcase cover. I thought it was a defective clutch basket but the one I put on didnt make a difference. It kinda sounds like something is knocking in there. I put it to you guys since you've probably heard it all. Is that the dreaded CCT noise? NEED HELP with this I'm goin nutz!!
Old 08-03-2007, 09:25 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Does the noise change when you pull in the clutch?
Old 08-03-2007, 09:28 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Darn, I was hoping this was about someone actually making a Diesel SH. That'd be sweet!
Old 08-03-2007, 09:43 AM
Squid

gimpy
No the noise does not change if you pull the clutch. Did the old screwdriver to the ear and its loud at that cover. Only thing there is the clutch right? Oddly when I took the clutch basket off the area behind the basket looked torn up. I cant tell where it came from but it looks like the back of the basket was rubbing against it. No damage on the back of the basket though. Thats what i get for buying a used bike.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:41 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
I messed up the ignition advance unit and I believe it drives the water pump - a black component iirc (to the right of the clutch basket and I believe its spring loaded and that was my problem, it moved - this was over 2 years ago so memory may be off a little) when I installed the factory pro detent arm/spring and it had a noticeable knock after that. I pulled it apart again and got it back to where it should have been and was fine ever since... could be someone played in there at one time and didn't get it back together right.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:52 PM
Back Marker

Tonyizcool1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lazn
Darn, I was hoping this was about someone actually making a Diesel SH. That'd be sweet!
That is what I thought of when I read the title as well.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:13 PM
Superstock

redman is on a distinguished road
Better pull the cover and check.....
Did you really find carnage behind the clutch and not figure out what caused it and put it back together again?
All due respect etc....
Old 08-03-2007, 07:32 PM
Back Marker

Besucher98
Got me too! LOL
Old 08-03-2007, 08:58 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hijack. This isn’t a SH, but it is diesel.http://www.hydraulicinnovations.com/more%20pictures.htm
Old 08-04-2007, 01:24 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Gregw
Sorry to hijack. This isn’t a SH, but it is diesel.http://www.hydraulicinnovations.com/more%20pictures.htm
Naw man, this is the cool one: http://www.dieselmotorcycle.co.uk/
Old 08-04-2007, 04:47 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Yeah, there was a race mod when the bike first came out that removed the quieting gear, the spring loaded one on top of the actual gear over the timing pawl. It has springs in it that connect it to the other one. Check to see that it's there and that it works properly.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:59 AM
Squid

gimpy
I know what ur thinkin Redman and its not what u think. I got this bike on the side from a dealer...aka no paper trail. I knew whowever had it beat it up some but it didnt look like it was trashed. A few cosmetics aside and it looks good. The noise started shortly after getting it. I purchased a clutch basket from some poor dudes wrecked hawk. When I put it on last week I noticed the rub marks behind the basket. I can only guess what happened there but here goes.
1. the bearings on the clutch were replaced before I got to it and did my own repair.
2. the oil pump chain broke and continued to spin whiplashing any metal piece in the area.
Its hard to tell what happened and i'll take some pics and post them to see what you guys think.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:11 AM
Squid

gimpy
Yeah, there was a race mod when the bike first came out that removed the quieting gear, the spring loaded one on top of the actual gear over the timing pawl. It has springs in it that connect it to the other one. Check to see that it's there and that it works properly.

Is that under the ignition rotor? I wanted to replace that and get the factory pro but there back ordered till october.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:32 AM
Back Marker

MisterMohawk
Originally Posted by lazn
Naw man, this is the cool one: http://www.dieselmotorcycle.co.uk/
Even got a SSS!
Old 08-04-2007, 11:38 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Originally Posted by gimpy
Is that under the ignition rotor? I wanted to replace that and get the factory pro but there back ordered till october.
Actually, it's the gear ON TOP OF the ignition rotor. You should see a large gear and a thinner one on top of it, with springs in between, all bolted together in the middle. The thinner one is the quieting gear.