Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Rattle when you rev the engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 06:58 PM
Back Marker

midijunky is on a distinguished road
Rattle when you rev the engine

Hello all, I've noticed a rattle that sounds like it's coming from my top end when I rev my engine and then let the rpm's drop. I've done the ghetto mechanics stethoscope trick and it sounds like it's coming from the timing cover. Is this what failing CCT's sound like?
Old 08-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Superstock

redman is on a distinguished road
I'm fairly new to Shawks but I would say YES. Did it start all of a sudden? Rattley sounds from the top end mean you shouldn't ride it until you take the covers off and look around.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:18 PM
Back Marker

it's been there for a little bit, was a little quieter than it is now. It seems to be intermittent. From a cold start it will start doing it, once it reaches operating temperature if I turn the engine off and then restart it the rattle goes away.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:29 PM
Superstock

Don't be foolish/lazy.....check compression, yank covers and take a very careful peek at cams, lifters, chain. Reach around and try and rattle things. Maybe if you're really lucky it'll be the chain cover came loose or something like that. A good flashlight, a long screw driver, some tools, and a weekend.
Swap for CCTs, stock or APEs just out of love for your bike if you don't find anything amiss.
If you just ride it until something breaks.....you'll regret it...badly.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:20 AM
Back Marker

I'm not being foolish and/or lazy, I just dont have the luxury of another mode of transportation, so i cant just up and put the bike out of commission. I'm trying my best to shuffle everything but eh... i need to find someone to lend me a ride for a few days i suppose. in the meantime, all i can do is pray it doesn't fall apart.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:03 AM
Superstock

My prayers are with you too...good luck!
Old 08-04-2007, 12:21 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by midijunky
I'm not being foolish and/or lazy, I just dont have the luxury of another mode of transportation, so i cant just up and put the bike out of commission. I'm trying my best to shuffle everything but eh... i need to find someone to lend me a ride for a few days i suppose. in the meantime, all i can do is pray it doesn't fall apart.
All the more reason to open it up and look at it. If your CCT's give out and it's the only transpo you have that would suck a big one. Best of luck to you.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:27 PM
Back Marker

hell of a situation, thanks for the well wishes guys. I hope everything holds together til I can tear it apart.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:59 AM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
That sounds exactly like your CCT. I had an F4i that had a bad CCT. One day I started to notice a loud high pitched meshing sound around 4-5k rpm and when I started it cold. Supposedly you can ride for a while with a bad CCT but it's a ticking time bomb. The rear cyclinder CCT looks pretty easy to get out, I haven't seen the front cylinders yet. It took me a about 3 hours to do the F4i's with a lot of cussing, some strange socket extensions, and I think I had a beer or two towards the end, or maybe I did that before I started. lol Good luck.