Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Did anyone bleed the brake himself?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 06:58 PM
Squid

someonehappy
I see...

Since there is almost no stray dog here in the city, I have to raise a dog before I can change my Superhawk's brake fluid.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:58 AM
Superstock

BirdofParadise is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Did anyone bleed the brake himself?

Off topic:
Happy can you post a close up picture of your bike side and front. The track pics are to far to appreciate, but it looks very nice.

Back on topic:
You are better off with out the stray dogs.
They will try to pee on your tires when you park.

In absence of thirsty animals you could...(looks around for eaves droppers), flush it down the toilet. If any one complains tell them you had really spicy Thai food the night before. :wink:
Old 02-22-2006, 06:04 AM
Squid

xcooper
Re: Did anyone bleed the brake himself?

Just a little trick. After all is said and done and you have bled the brakes to the best of your ability, leave the resevoir cap open and crack open the bleed cap. Completely pull the brake lever to the throttle grip and zip tie it to the throttle. Close the bleeder cap. Leave it over night. This leaves the cylinder open and allows all the little bubbles that are left to float up through into the resevoir. I didn't believe it till I tried it. Never had squishy brakes since.

Happy Stopping.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:16 PM
Squid

someonehappy
Originally Posted by BirdofParadise";p=&quot
Off topic
Happy can you post a close up picture of your bike side and front. The track pics are to far to appreciate, but it looks very nice.
It's not mine, it's my friend's 929, and I only took these action pics, but I will get some larger ones here.

Originally Posted by xcooper";p=&quot
Just a little trick. After all is said and done and you have bled the brakes to the best of your ability, leave the resevoir cap open and crack open the bleed cap. Completely pull the brake lever to the throttle grip and zip tie it to the throttle. Close the bleeder cap. Leave it over night. This leaves the cylinder open and allows all the little bubbles that are left to float up through into the resevoir. I didn't believe it till I tried it. Never had squishy brakes since.

Happy Stopping.
Thanks for the tip, I will try it.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:00 AM
Squid

Peeb is on a distinguished road
Just bough a low miles '98 in desperate need of service. I have had bad results using a brake bleeder (like a Mighty Vac brand) for anything other than sucking the old fluid out of the reservoir BEFORE BLEEDING. I see better results pressing a clear tube to the nipple fitting then going up hill to a drain bottle. Just keep the res full and pump the brake lever or pedal till the fluid runs clean and bubble free. To eliminate any possibility of air entering around the threads, do the last couple pumps (after clean and bubble free) with the nipple cracked open the smallest amount possible to still get full travel and shut the nipple with the brake lever in mid stroke. This takes care of the small amount of fluid (and possibly air) that back flows when the lever is released. After tightening, release the lever and you will have a solid brake with no sponge. I too was concerned about clearing lines of bubbles going down hill but they do seem to all get out, it just takes some extra fluid.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:05 PM
Squid

Norh8822@yahoo.com is on a distinguished road
I gravity bleed every motorcycle and vehicle brake/clutch fluid ive ever done, after turkey baster-ing out the reservoirs. Gives the best pedal feel by far and no need for any helpers to screw things up Takes longer to do but results are worth it in my opinion.