Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

?? leaky brake bleed nipple?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
?? leaky brake bleed nipple?

Hi All just a quick question....after installing brake lines and bleeding my brakes...I noticed at the weekend when installing my fork springs that one of the bleed nipples on the brake caliper has a slight leak..(more of a kinda misting)..
Anyway I have had this issues before (sv650) and normally I just drain the brakes remove the nipple place a few wraps of ptfe tape (plumbers tape) around the nipple and re-install the nipple and all is good.
Just curious if there is any kinda of other product I should be using?....I plan on buying some of those speedbleeder nipples this week and installing them...as I always seem to have to bleed my brakes after every trackday anyway...thanks
Old 12-04-2007, 11:18 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
I had the speedbleeders.... if you have a hand held mighty vac, I found that it works better, faster, plus you can use it on any bike, or item that needs vacuum. (Clutch, rear brake, petcock)

The speed bleeders seem like a great idea, but they have a thread sealing paste on the bottom (just like loctite)... not sure how many times you can bleed them before that wears out and gives you the same problem you have now... you need to crack the bleeder open to bleed them...

J.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:33 AM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
As the bleeder is hollow, taping the threads (in theory) shouldn't help at all in sealing the bleader. Its where the tapered point meets the sub diameter hole that the sealing takes place. If there is a problem, its either the bleeder or that hole, and hope really hard that its not the hole. Its damn near impossible to get a good fix on the hole, as you need a special tap and there is very little material
Old 12-04-2007, 12:26 PM
Superstock

hmmm

Ok....it's definetly leaking from around the base of the threads?.....not from the hollow of the bleeder.....i.e if you was to remove the little rubber cap covering the actual hole from where brake fluid would come out from?
I always dry out the the bleed nipple hollow...with a some tissue ...ie: take the corner of a tissue roll it up and dip it into the hollow to remove the little bit of excess brake fluid...so it does not come out when the wheel is spinning at 100mph......
I always thought that maybe the thread in the caliper being aluminum and the bleeder bolt being steel that the threads got slighty stretched out from lots of bleeding!....thus causing the slight weeping of fluid.....maybe?.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:29 PM
Superstock

mity vc thingy

Yea I have used one of those vac things...to honest I always have gotten the best results with my 2ft long length of hose and a glass jar....I know it's shade tree but just seems to work best for me.
I have installed quite a few brake lines now....and find it does not take that long to do it that way...and just ride for a day or two bleed again and all it good.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:51 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
It's stripped. Get another one, don't tighten it so much. If the caliper is stripped, the solution is a larger nipple and rethreading.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:10 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Mine did that last time I bled them before a trackday. I wiped it off a few times & it kept coming back. So I just put a small amount to blue thread-lock at the point where it was leaking and that stopped it.
Will probably happen next bleed too. Oh well...