Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

damage around countershaft ultimatley damaging oil seal

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 10:38 AM
AZ RIDER
Superstock

lynchie is on a distinguished road
damage around countershaft ultimatley damaging oil seal

Well if anyone has seen or repaired thier own counter shaft oil seal take a look at this.. The previous owner had a bolt go astray off the header and bounce between the front sprocket and the case.. the seal was half ripped out and i didnt see this till after i bought it.. regardless i think its salvagable for a new seal .. the shaft and case where the seal sits is in fine condition.. as you can see the surrounding are got beat to hell..thank god it didnt crack the case or penetrate it.. i have ordered a new seal..has anyone looked at thier countershaft seal area? SHould it have this concave look to it? chaeck it out, give me some feedback.. im also wondering where the spring goes that comes on the seal .. its a circuler spring around the seal. Inside or outside the case? Should i use thread lock or gasket maker to insure my seal to the case? Help Skokievtr has been great help with this so far but none of you have seen this ugly picture yet!! thanks guys
Attached Thumbnails damage around countershaft ultimatley damaging oil seal-img_0161.jpg  
Old 08-07-2008, 11:57 AM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
Countershaft Seal Installation

The concave look is from the previous owner trying to pound a lipped seal back into place.
And here is where I may have to rain on your parade........
I believe that the seal is a "lipped" seal, this will require splitting the cases to properly install it.
The service manual doesn't mention it, but the photo on page 11-9 clearly shows the groove that the lip fits into.
The spring goes towards the inside.

Kai Ju
Old 08-07-2008, 12:45 PM
AZ RIDER
Superstock

Kai ju

i already know th rubber seal does not require i split the case.. i have already purchased the oil seal and spoken with many mechanics, i have installed this rubber seal on my honda XR600.. no case spliting necessary for this part as per many mechanics
Old 08-07-2008, 12:52 PM
AZ RIDER
Superstock

by the way this is the outer seal near the front sprocket. the seal around the output shaft, visible to the eye...
Old 08-07-2008, 01:48 PM
AZ RIDER
Superstock

in this picture the seal has already been removed FYI...
Old 08-07-2008, 01:52 PM
Shredding Asphalt
Superstock

MisfitToy is on a distinguished road
I think its fine the edge has alot of nicks that may mess with your seal worst case senerio take some hi temp black RTV on your finger and run it around the edge to ensure your seal. not like anyone can see it
Old 08-07-2008, 02:03 PM
AZ RIDER
Superstock

that what i will surely do.. thanks misfit

anything i should clean the metal with before hand?? Carb cleaner, alchohol? soap and water...
Old 08-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Shredding Asphalt
Superstock

MisfitToy is on a distinguished road
brake cleaner or carb cleaner should be good brake cleaner leaves no residue carb cleaner I think should do the same. If you have mabey a small peice of emory cloth or sand paper fold it and try to slide it around the outer line a few times too knock down some of those larger burs and you should be golden.