Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Cush Driver Interchange-ability??

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Squid

VTRBandit is on a distinguished road
Cush Driver Interchange-ability??

Hey Guys,

After tearing my bike down the first time, I saw that the cush drive had all of its plastic inserts pretty much torn in half, and a warped sprocket. So I figure I should replace them. But then I purchased an additional rear wheel that didnt come with one, so now I figure i will buy an entire set (cush drive, plastic inserts, sprocket). Aren't any for a SHawk on eBay right now, but I was wondering if anyone knew which ones were interchangeable with the SHawk. Theres a crap ton of CBR 600 setups for real cheap, but they look to be a little different than the SHawks. I could just take info on the plastic inserts and interchangeable stock sprocket from another bike...

Anyone got any info on this? TIA!
Old 03-05-2007, 08:15 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
My kid recently "borrowed" a spare rear that I have for the Superhawk and slipped his cush straight into the wheel. His CBR is a 1999 f4.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:35 PM
MotoGP

The part numbers for the cush drives do NOT match. They are very close but they are the same between the two bikes. I saw the fit when they did it and it looked like interchangeable parts to me. One is designated MBW the other is MBB. Just so you're following me. He took the sprocket with cush drive from the f4 rear and dropped it into a Superhawk rear and mounted it up on his f4.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:39 PM
MotoGP

The plot thickens!! The part numbers for the wheels are the same. I don't know what the difference would be in the cush drive but it can't be much. Only thing I could think of would be the power difference between the 600 and the 996. Maybe the one for the 'Hawk is a little tougher. The new part is about $40.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Squid

VTRBandit is on a distinguished road
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-HO...QQcmdZViewItem

So its that one right? It appears to at least be the same sprocket type as the SHawk. All the other cush drives I saw were for 2001+ and they are a bit different, but if you are right with this older one bolting right up, then Ill get it. Just wanted to make sure first.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:05 PM
MotoGP

For $24 it's not much of a risk. The kid caught a nasty nail in his and needed a quick change to meet his buddies for bike night. He took the sprocket/hub and the cush out of his f4 rim and put them into the spare VTR wheel and tightened everything up. We spun it and lubed the chain while we had it up and everything felt fine to me. The stock one in the VTR wheel just fell apart when we opened up the wheel so we didn't have a choice. I would probably order the right part number just to have it in the future. It's not one of those things that going to go like a flat tire. Once you're aware of the problem you could probably limp home 40 to 60 miles before it outright shredded.