Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Crankcase Gasket Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 08:24 PM
Squid

superrst is on a distinguished road
Crankcase Gasket Replacement

Is it possible to replace the crankcase gasket without removing the engine from the frame? It seems like a have a small leak, or rather a weep, back be the shock linkage. If the gasket can be replaced be dropping the oil pan and lower half of the crankcase without disturbing the crank or transmission, that would be great. Otherwise I think I will live with it.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:46 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Another Wisconsin fellow. Where abouts are ya?

As to your question, if you're not exactly sure where it's leaking from, then you can get a dye that you put in the oil and use a black light to see where it's truely leaking from.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:50 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
To answer the question, it cannot be split without taking it out of the frame.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:57 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
IN response to both responses.....
First:
An option other then trace dye and a special light source is to degrease the engine, then use a spay can of dry type foot powder, spray the entire suspect area, and HIGHER.
Go for a short ride.. your oil leak will reveal itself at the source.
Second:
Agreed, you can not do what your contemplating... engine has to come out.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:05 AM
Squid

I kind of figured the engine would have to come out, just thought I would ask anyway.
It's not that big of a leak, there is a little residue on the back of the case. It's not dripping out or anything like that. I think I'll just leave it, not worth pulling the engine. I will try the foot-powder or dye trick just so I can pin-point it.

CruxGNZ - Right down the road from you in Muskego.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:10 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Maybe it's coming from the CCT?
Old 10-16-2013, 03:04 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by superrst
CruxGNZ - Right down the road from you in Muskego.
Yeah, just a few minutes south of me. I ride through your city quite often actually. If you need any help with anything, or if you want to go for a ride before this season ends, just drop me a PM (Private Message).

E's foot powder idea is cheaper and easier than using dye and a blacklight, so with such a small amount leaking, I would use his method.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:56 PM
Squid

jagg1174 is on a distinguished road
Nice to see im not the only hawk owner in se WI, im in Kenosha just south of Milwaukee, maybe next season we will have to set up some riding time, love the looks I get when people hear my hawk with the 2 bros titanium pipes.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:32 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

If we could get all the Superhawks from this forum for a ride, that would be cool. By my count, there is at least a dozen in S.E. Wisconsin now.

Yeah, the sound! My family just brought that up the other day. They all own Harley's and each one of them said they can tell when I pull up in the driveway or even driving past thier house, because it's a totally different sound. I tried explaining to them why that is, but I couldn't word it well enough (we had a few drinks at the end of the night) and needed to draw it on paper and promptly lost thier attention haha
Old 10-21-2013, 07:18 AM
Squid

I did the foot powder trick and took a short ride(it started to rain just as I was warming the bike up). Pretty cool idea.

Yeah, we all should do a ride. I think time has run out this year though. I think Indian summer has come and gone.

John
Old 10-21-2013, 09:44 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Ok, I got a little confused when reading this thread:

- The original post was referring to replacing a crankcase gasket. No such gasket exists.
- There was some discussion of removing the engine from the frame. The only gaskets that can be replaced are possible with the engine in place.

I think it would be really helpful to clarify where the leak is originating because the conclusions above are making a lot of assumptions. Just my 2 cents!
Old 10-22-2013, 07:57 AM
Squid

To clarify:

I have some oil on the bottom-rear of my engine and a small spot in the belly pan (after-market). It looks like it could be the crank-case gasket, but I'm not sure. Are you saying where the combination crank-case transmission splits, their is no gasket?
Old 10-22-2013, 08:24 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
To clarify:

I have some oil on the bottom-rear of my engine and a small spot in the belly pan (after-market). It looks like it could be the crank-case gasket, but I'm not sure. Are you saying where the combination crank-case transmission splits, their is no gasket?
There is a gasket, but not a die cut paper or other preformed materiel one.
(and that is what I think Jamie is referring to, though he would have to confirm)
Sealant is used at the case halves.
gas·ket noun \ˈgas-kət\
: a piece of rubber or some other material that is used to make a tight seal between two parts that are joined together.

So yes, Case sealant (what ever brand and style you prefer ThreeBond 1104, Yamabond 4, Honda Bond 4 or HT, or what ever) is the method of forming a gasket at the case halves.

Last edited by E.Marquez; 10-22-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:09 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Before you dismantle the engine - have you checked sprocket area for leaky clutch fluid?
Old 10-23-2013, 02:50 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Are you saying where the combination crank-case transmission splits, their is no gasket?
Correct, there is no gasket there. I would keep searching because it is VERY unlikely it is coming from the case split. I think with a little investigation will uncover the source. It should be an easy fix.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:38 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Since this thread has already been hyjacked...

Originally Posted by jagg1174
Nice to see im not the only hawk owner in se WI, im in Kenosha just south of Milwaukee, maybe next season we will have to set up some riding time, love the looks I get when people hear my hawk with the 2 bros titanium pipes.
Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
If we could get all the Superhawks from this forum for a ride, that would be cool. By my count, there is at least a dozen in S.E. Wisconsin now.

Yeah, the sound! My family just brought that up the other day. They all own Harley's and each one of them said they can tell when I pull up in the driveway or even driving past thier house, because it's a totally different sound. I tried explaining to them why that is, but I couldn't word it well enough (we had a few drinks at the end of the night) and needed to draw it on paper and promptly lost thier attention haha
I did the foot powder trick and took a short ride(it started to rain just as I was warming the bike up). Pretty cool idea.

Yeah, we all should do a ride. I think time has run out this year though. I think Indian summer has come and gone.

John
I've been trying to organize regular SE WI / NE IL VTR rides for years. I'm open for a ride anytime unless its forecast to definitely rain significantly or there is ice and/or snow (or a lot of salt on the road as a result).

I'm 45 minutes south of Kenosha and ride SE & EW WI every weekend I can.

PM me, I'm riding one day this weekend depending on which day is better.