SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Crankcase Gasket Replacement (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/crankcase-gasket-replacement-31261/)

superrst 10-14-2013 08:24 PM

Crankcase Gasket Replacement

Is it possible to replace the crankcase gasket without removing the engine from the frame? It seems like a have a small leak, or rather a weep, back be the shock linkage. If the gasket can be replaced be dropping the oil pan and lower half of the crankcase without disturbing the crank or transmission, that would be great. Otherwise I think I will live with it.

CruxGNZ 10-14-2013 09:46 PM

Another Wisconsin fellow. Where abouts are ya?

As to your question, if you're not exactly sure where it's leaking from, then you can get a dye that you put in the oil and use a black light to see where it's truely leaking from.

7moore7 10-15-2013 04:50 AM

To answer the question, it cannot be split without taking it out of the frame.

E.Marquez 10-15-2013 06:57 AM

IN response to both responses..... :lol:
First:
An option other then trace dye and a special light source is to degrease the engine, then use a spay can of dry type foot powder, spray the entire suspect area, and HIGHER.
Go for a short ride.. your oil leak will reveal itself at the source.
Second:
Agreed, you can not do what your contemplating... engine has to come out.

superrst 10-16-2013 08:05 AM

I kind of figured the engine would have to come out, just thought I would ask anyway.
It's not that big of a leak, there is a little residue on the back of the case. It's not dripping out or anything like that. I think I'll just leave it, not worth pulling the engine. I will try the foot-powder or dye trick just so I can pin-point it.

CruxGNZ - Right down the road from you in Muskego.

7moore7 10-16-2013 08:10 AM

Maybe it's coming from the CCT?

CruxGNZ 10-16-2013 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by superrst (Post 364019)
CruxGNZ - Right down the road from you in Muskego.

Yeah, just a few minutes south of me. I ride through your city quite often actually. If you need any help with anything, or if you want to go for a ride before this season ends, just drop me a PM (Private Message).

E's foot powder idea is cheaper and easier than using dye and a blacklight, so with such a small amount leaking, I would use his method.

jagg1174 10-16-2013 08:56 PM

Nice to see im not the only hawk owner in se WI, im in Kenosha just south of Milwaukee, maybe next season we will have to set up some riding time, love the looks I get when people hear my hawk with the 2 bros titanium pipes.

CruxGNZ 10-16-2013 09:32 PM

If we could get all the Superhawks from this forum for a ride, that would be cool. By my count, there is at least a dozen in S.E. Wisconsin now.

Yeah, the sound! :) My family just brought that up the other day. They all own Harley's and each one of them said they can tell when I pull up in the driveway or even driving past thier house, because it's a totally different sound. I tried explaining to them why that is, but I couldn't word it well enough (we had a few drinks at the end of the night) and needed to draw it on paper and promptly lost thier attention haha

superrst 10-21-2013 07:18 AM

I did the foot powder trick and took a short ride(it started to rain just as I was warming the bike up). Pretty cool idea.

Yeah, we all should do a ride. I think time has run out this year though. I think Indian summer has come and gone.

John

JamieDaugherty 10-21-2013 09:44 AM

Ok, I got a little confused when reading this thread:

- The original post was referring to replacing a crankcase gasket. No such gasket exists.
- There was some discussion of removing the engine from the frame. The only gaskets that can be replaced are possible with the engine in place.

I think it would be really helpful to clarify where the leak is originating because the conclusions above are making a lot of assumptions. Just my 2 cents!

superrst 10-22-2013 07:57 AM

To clarify:

I have some oil on the bottom-rear of my engine and a small spot in the belly pan (after-market). It looks like it could be the crank-case gasket, but I'm not sure. Are you saying where the combination crank-case transmission splits, their is no gasket?

E.Marquez 10-22-2013 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by superrst (Post 364331)
To clarify:

I have some oil on the bottom-rear of my engine and a small spot in the belly pan (after-market). It looks like it could be the crank-case gasket, but I'm not sure. Are you saying where the combination crank-case transmission splits, their is no gasket?

There is a gasket, but not a die cut paper or other preformed materiel one.
(and that is what I think Jamie is referring to, though he would have to confirm)
Sealant is used at the case halves.
gas·ket noun \ˈgas-kət\
: a piece of rubber or some other material that is used to make a tight seal between two parts that are joined together.

So yes, Case sealant (what ever brand and style you prefer ThreeBond 1104, Yamabond 4, Honda Bond 4 or HT, or what ever) is the method of forming a gasket at the case halves.

Wicky 10-22-2013 11:09 AM

Before you dismantle the engine - have you checked sprocket area for leaky clutch fluid?

JamieDaugherty 10-23-2013 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by superrst (Post 364331)
Are you saying where the combination crank-case transmission splits, their is no gasket?

Correct, there is no gasket there. I would keep searching because it is VERY unlikely it is coming from the case split. I think with a little investigation will uncover the source. It should be an easy fix.

skokievtr 10-23-2013 04:38 PM

Since this thread has already been hyjacked...

Originally Posted by jagg1174 (Post 364074)
Nice to see im not the only hawk owner in se WI, im in Kenosha just south of Milwaukee, maybe next season we will have to set up some riding time, love the looks I get when people hear my hawk with the 2 bros titanium pipes.

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ (Post 364075)
If we could get all the Superhawks from this forum for a ride, that would be cool. By my count, there is at least a dozen in S.E. Wisconsin now.

Yeah, the sound! :) My family just brought that up the other day. They all own Harley's and each one of them said they can tell when I pull up in the driveway or even driving past thier house, because it's a totally different sound. I tried explaining to them why that is, but I couldn't word it well enough (we had a few drinks at the end of the night) and needed to draw it on paper and promptly lost thier attention haha

Originally Posted by superrst (Post 364267)
I did the foot powder trick and took a short ride(it started to rain just as I was warming the bike up). Pretty cool idea.

Yeah, we all should do a ride. I think time has run out this year though. I think Indian summer has come and gone.

John

I've been trying to organize regular SE WI / NE IL VTR rides for years. I'm open for a ride anytime unless its forecast to definitely rain significantly or there is ice and/or snow (or a lot of salt on the road as a result).

I'm 45 minutes south of Kenosha and ride SE & EW WI every weekend I can.

PM me, I'm riding one day this weekend depending on which day is better.