Crankcase cover makeover!!! woohoo

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 09:16 AM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble
Crankcase cover makeover!!! woohoo

:P

hey guys...(maybe gals here too?)...

the previous owner laid my bike down in his garage and there is like a 1" scratch on the round black crankcase cover on the right sid by your right foot.... you know, the round thing. anyways..... its stock matte black but you can see the silverish color where the scratch is. doe snayone know of a paint for this so it will match perfectly with the matte black used from the factory? ive seen some bikes on ebay who paint it red or yellow... and thats just downright nasty lookin IMHO . any suggestions? im goin paint crazy lately.... ordered the color rite clearcoat last night for my lower fairing. figured ide knock off this as well. ... thanks in advance.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:08 AM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble
Re: Crankcase cover makeover!!! woohoo

http://www.rustoleum.com/Product.asp...ct_id=22&SBL=1

its called "black night metallic" . i think this is what you mean.... heres the rustoleum link with the metallic colors. keep me posted... ill buy asap if this is the color your talkin about. thanks again.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:33 PM
Back Marker

Rollingalong

Something that works well to fill the scratches in side covers before you paint and can take the heat is plain old JB Weld . JB Weld is really easy to dry sand down and just a couple of very light coats over the worked area before painting the entire part covers nicely w/o priming .

The JB Weld needs 24 hours to cure before painting .
Old 03-15-2005, 08:06 PM
Squid

blight

Hi-ya...I masked off the area around the clutch cover (circular area) and painted it with semi-flat "wrinkle" paint. This stuff is pretty cool, a lot of manufacturers use it for valve and engine covers. It goes on like normal aerosol spray paint, and then as it dries it shinks up and wrinkles uniformly. You can accelarate drying/wrinkling with a hair-dryer. (Fills in scratches really well too cuz it's so thick)

Most automotive parts stores have it or you can order it easily on the world-wide web. Eastwood has it for sure if you can't find it locally. One or two of my pics show it pretty clearly on the ol'scooter. I had originally painted it, umm, gold and 'hated' it, so the black wrinkle looks perfect to me now. (Pleeeease don't ask for the gold paint photo!!)

By the way, I used that Krylon metallic black mentioned in the other posts on my rear wheel...it matches the front OEM wheel color perfectly! Highly recommended.

http://home.comcast.net/~blight1/VTR.zip

BTW I can go out and snap a close-up photo of the wrinkled clutch cover and post it if anyone wants...

Cheers,
Brian Light