Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Coolant leak from engine mount...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 09:28 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
Coolant leak from engine mount...

I have a leak coming from my engine mount on the left side. Any ideas why? Any good solutions for how to fix?
Attached Thumbnails Coolant leak from engine mount...-weap.jpg  
Old 04-07-2009, 10:00 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd suggest looking at the coolant reservior and the hoses from it... it's located just to the right of that bolt between the heads... and it may be leaking while on the side stand and just running down to that location.

J.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:03 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
check the water pump seal & hoses... they are all on the left side. your probably ( hopefully ) just seeing where it ended up.

tim
Old 04-07-2009, 10:11 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
+1
It's leaking from somewhere above that location and traveling to where it is visible. You may need to remove the airbox to locate.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:12 AM
SuperBike

so I looked a little closer and it seems the line that is leaking is the one that connects to the front cylinder under the carbs. Its about an inch od. It looks as though the clamp is tight so I am assuming then its time to order a new hose. And to think I knew I smelled coolant for a while, but could never find why. The only pain now is I am going to have to remove the carbs, "son of a..." But thank goodness not a crack or something in the case, which was my initial thought. I guess those ideas are what happen after working on my mazda truck, where hoses last longer than intake manifolds and among other things. Thanks for the help reassurances.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Squid

Starbucks Fueled is on a distinguished road
Once you've had the carbs off a few times, it goes pretty quick. You pick up the flow of things and it comes pretty easy. Of course if it had been one of the radiator hoses, it would have been a hell of alot easier.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:47 AM
SuperBike

I have removed carbs more than 10 times and can do it in my sleep, but it still doesn't make it any less of a pain in ***. Oh well I guess coulda been worse.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:01 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cornandp
I have removed carbs more than 10 times and can do it in my sleep, but it still doesn't make it any less of a pain in ***. Oh well I guess coulda been worse.
agree ! i would be a lot easier if it wasn't for the front breather hose... & those plastic choke bolts ! removing my steering damper... etc.

tim
Old 04-07-2009, 11:08 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
cornandp, hope you get it back on the road soon. Just for reference, what year is your bike? Good to know for future hose replacement schedule.

Sometimes you get lucky, but sometimes Murphy's Law kicks in and it's the hardest hose to get to that leaks. Some of todays cars are much worse though.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:19 AM
ff
Banned
Back Marker

ff is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by cornandp
so I looked a little closer and it seems the line that is leaking is the one that connects to the front cylinder under the carbs. Its about an inch od. It looks as though the clamp is tight so I am assuming then its time to order a new hose. And to think I knew I smelled coolant for a while, but could never find why. The only pain now is I am going to have to remove the carbs, "son of a..." But thank goodness not a crack or something in the case, which was my initial thought. I guess those ideas are what happen after working on my mazda truck, where hoses last longer than intake manifolds and among other things. Thanks for the help reassurances.

since you're in there, i would check and replace the o-ring that seals the metal hose mount to the front cylinder too. i had one go out on me that caused a slow leak. the hose might be okay and it's just the seal that's leaking. the o-ring is cheap and i replaced both of them(one on the front head and one on the rear head)

#18 in the diagram:

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/...oup/WATER_PIPE

Last edited by ff; 04-07-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:24 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by ff
since you're in there, i would check and replace the o-ring that seals the metal hose mount to the front cylinder too. i had one go out on me that caused a slow leak. the hose might be okay and it's just the seal that's leaking. the o-ring is cheap and i replaced both of them(one on the front head and one on the rear head)

#18 in the diagram:

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/...oup/WATER_PIPE
thanks I should replace those too, my bike is a 2000 with 45k.