Cold start issues for about 1.5 years :( Even in summer

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 02:55 PM
Josh
Superstock

viperkillertt
Cold start issues for about 1.5 years :( Even in summer

Hi,
I have been dealing with issues on my superhawk for over a year now. I cant get it to consistently start in the morning.
Here is the post i made last year.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=19292

Nothing has changed much since then. Some days she starts up on the first try. Other days, nothing. The worst day it took me 5 recharges of the battery, almost 3 hours to get her to start over. That was on a day that it was around 60-65 degrees out.

I am so sick of it.
I have replaced the starter relay, starter switch and starter. The battery is fine. It has usually about 13.3-13.5 volts. It was tested on a tester and was above the normal range for our bikes battery.

The rectifier was changed also. I have tried 3 different ones, i use a R1 rectifier.

This problem did start around the time that i put in my manual CCT. I am not sure if there is a correlation.

Today i am replacing the spark plugs, cleaning the air filter and cleaning the carbs. The jets are sitting in carb cleaning solution as i write this. The jets didn't look too bad. I cleaned the carbs 4 years ago last. I have ridden about 8k miles since then.

So i need some advice on what to do next. Is it possible that the CCT is too tight and causing the starting motor too much stress? I have ridden since april of 2009 with the manual ccts. The bike runs excellent. I believe i had the correct tension on the cct.

Well, if anyone can jump in and assist, i would greatly appreciate it.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:15 PM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
my bike did not want to start, I then adjusted the TPS to 500ohms, and now it starts immediately. Did you try that? JB
Old 06-28-2010, 03:17 PM
Josh
Superstock

viperkillertt
Originally Posted by residentg
my bike did not want to start, I then adjusted the TPS to 500ohms, and now it starts immediately. Did you try that? JB
Nope, i dont think recently, i will try that in a second. The AC in my room feels nice
Old 06-28-2010, 03:17 PM
Josh
Superstock

viperkillertt
I am looking into the CBR Coil Mod, i have the feeling my coils suck. For 50 bucks, it might be worth it.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=22773
Old 06-28-2010, 03:42 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
cct too tight?
Old 06-28-2010, 04:05 PM
Josh
Superstock

viperkillertt
Originally Posted by jay956
cct too tight?
I thought i had set it properly, but i know that the problem started around the time i did my valve job. I reset the CCTs then.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:30 PM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by viperkillertt
I thought i had set it properly, but i know that the problem started around the time i did my valve job. I reset the CCTs then.
If it were not for the fact that you said that it runs well once started, I would suggest a skipped cam sprocket.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:52 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Have you checked the cables for the enrichment circuit (choke) to make sure the needles are moving properly? Also when you cleaned your carbs, did you check those passages to make sure they were clear?
Old 06-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Josh
Superstock

viperkillertt
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Have you checked the cables for the enrichment circuit (choke) to make sure the needles are moving properly? Also when you cleaned your carbs, did you check those passages to make sure they were clear?
The choke seems to function fine. It pulls out fine and i could hear it pulling in and out before I put it back together.
How often do the bikes have bad spark issues. I am almost thinking she just doesn't have a strong enough spark when starting.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:10 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well, it's probably not a bad idea to re-check the tension on the CCT's... So do the procedure...

Start the bike (Yeah, yeah... In your case that's the biggest part of the work... ) warm it up to full operating temperature, take a ride around the neighbourhood or something... Then adjust the CCT's carefully with small movements until they are as quiet as they are going to be... Note that they have no relation to each other what so ever...

If you are questioning your spark, start by having a look at the plugs, how are the gaps? The VTR tends to blow the gap out after some miles, so checking that is a good idea... Also a multimeter tells you a lot of things about your current coils if used correctly... Introducing new variables right now, probably isn't the right way of solving the problem...