General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

How Cold is too Cold?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 11:34 AM
Squid

Cheesedrug
How Cold is too Cold?

This is my first winter with the SH, got her last March, and was wondering...How cold is too cold to ride your SH? It is about 37 F here in Atlanta today. Second question is...What do you wear for gear to stay warm in the coldest weather you ride in? And lastly, Is there anything you do differently while riding in the cold weather? Thanks for your 2 cents.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
It doesn't get that cold here in SoCal, but I used to wear textile pants (how are the ones you bought?) and textile jacket. If it gets real cold, then I put on a few layers underneath. Also, an oversized sweater and sweatpants over my MC gear helps keep the warmth in.

Insulated gloves help. And one of those neck-scarves that make you look like a western cowboy keeps the wind off your neck and mouth.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:40 AM
Superstock

VTRDarren
I turn these on...

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/...Category_Code=

Best thirty bucks I've spent on the bike. I also just wear anything gore-tex and a head sock (balaclava) that covers my face and neck. I'll ride in the 40ish weather, but prefer to be on a dual-sport bike since it just feels more normal when black ice is a possibility.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:51 AM
Squid

Cheesedrug
I like the textile pants that I bought from you alot and are an awesome pant in that they are easy on and off. I like to wear them on the short jaunt to the gym. I also found some Alpinestar Leather Track Pants for $200 at the local Cycle Gear (they are 2006 model closeout) and wear them when just going out for a ride. With the temp dropping, I hope to hear what others are doing in this cold weather so that I can continue to enjoy my SH comfortably this winter.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Squid

98vtr1000 is on a distinguished road
I'm also here in atl and today was , for me, too cold! I might get out on sunday though once it warms up a bit. I like the ballistic pants and meteor jacket from joe rocket. They are both great, I wear a baclava around my neck and I'm good to go - gloves of course.
later
Old 12-08-2006, 12:00 PM
Superstock

VTRDarren
I have this alpinestars gore-tex textile that helps a lot.. I live in Buffalo btw!

It's on sale right now for 99bucks..and for a 3/4 goretex that's a bargain!
http://www.ridegear.com/rg/item/F-57...l?source=email
Old 12-08-2006, 12:28 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
In cold weather I prefer leathers. Now this does not work well if you have to go to the office or change in and out. I even have some of my leathers taped off so they don't breathe as much. I also wear a balaclava. I bought a Fieldsheer set of long underwear ($80) but it doesn't work well. Frank Thomas has a set that they guarantee windproof for two years. But they have to be imported from the UK - I have not found a stateside source. Boots and gloves are a major element because you use them to drive and they are extremities. I do not like insultated gloves because I don't like the loss of touch but at 40F you don't have a choice. The most important thing (new information to me) was from our Moderator Greg Nemish. He wrote recently that our modern tires actually become crystaline when cold. This makes our tires very slippery when they are fresh off the lot and I think in one week this fall, we had five forum members go down due to circumstances that could have all included cold-tire culprits. I think it's very important to be comfortable when riding in the winter (especially here before the holidays) because distraction is never a good thing and the cold is more than a distraction. People are stressed for time, they're impatient trying to beat the darkness and keep up with a busy social schedule. If I know I'm going out during the business day I wear long johns and knee/shin armour with my jacket and boots. Which jacket depends on how cold it is because different vendors have difference vents. I've got a cheap pair of boots ($60 - no more than regular hikers) that have the meta-plates, ankle plates, and heal protection. I also move the bike into a semi-heated area of the office the night before so it can warm up to at least 50-60F before I move it outside. Watch the weather and use your head. Being rained on is a real PIA. And my Yogi the last time we were on the subject: Don't push it - there's lots more time later! :-D
Old 12-08-2006, 01:34 PM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
Me and my riding buddiies were just talking about this. ( We are in GA also) We came up with this ... 65 degrees & above- Were riding its mandatory ! 50 to 65 degrees - some of us will ride short loops close to the house. 50 degrees and below-- HELL NO ! Its just not fun to us when its that cold! I know, I know Were spoiled down south with having basically 9 months a year of good riding weather! Also to Cheesedrug & 98vtr I never noticed you guys were from ATL . Maybe we can get ride planned one weekend. WHEN IT WARMS BACK UP! LOL I got few that will ride ! Even though they are not on SUPERHAWKs they are still fun to ride with. LOL!
Old 12-08-2006, 01:53 PM
Back Marker

bkelsey
The coldest I've seen this year (Central PA) is 18, and that was just do-able. If it's 30 or above and dry, I'll take the Hawk to work (35 miles). Extra pair of heavy sox, long underwear, Draggin jeans, fleece vest, textile jacket with liner, balaclava, MSR Cold Pro gloves, and the key for me is heated grips. I hate frozen fingers.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:18 PM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
Coldest I've ever ridden in was 25 Degrees. With enough layers it was doable, but damn cold.

I'll ride in any weather the Southwestern USA has to offer. I've got an aerostich suit (red of course) and for the really cold days, an insulated lined fleece jacket I wear under it. I've yet to use insulated gloves in any temp, i just don't like the lack of "feel". The 'stich' suit keeps me warm enough for 90% of the days, and the insulated fleece takes care of the other 10%.

I spent way too many winters in Minnesota for the "cold" of SoCal to bother me. If I can survive -40, I can ride in 20F.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:24 PM
SuperBike

EngineNoO9 is an unknown quantity at this point
wow there's some wimps on here. 40 and above I'll ride. I've done 30's with sleet coming down and was miserable....
Old 12-08-2006, 04:43 PM
Squid

barkmagnet is on a distinguished road
Ok don't laugh at me..............
It was 32 this morning in Central Fl. and down in the 20's tonight with a hard freeze warning !: shock:
I wear a Tourmaster Jett jacket with liner,some kid of cheap snow gloves with 3M Thinsulate and a bandana around the neck. I need to get one of those balaclavas, Isn't that a desert? Oh, thats baklava. The gloves do a pretty good job, but just dont have any protection. What would you all recommend for a decent cold weather glove and textile over the pant,pants?
Thanks.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:08 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by hrcvf1000r
Me and my riding buddiies were just talking about this. ( We are in GA also) We came up with this ... 65 degrees & above- Were riding its mandatory ! 50 to 65 degrees - some of us will ride short loops close to the house. 50 degrees and below-- HELL NO ! Its just not fun to us when its that cold! I know, I know Were spoiled down south with having basically 9 months a year of good riding weather! Also to Cheesedrug & 98vtr I never noticed you guys were from ATL . Maybe we can get ride planned one weekend. WHEN IT WARMS BACK UP! LOL I got few that will ride ! Even though they are not on SUPERHAWKs they are still fun to ride with. LOL!
Much like you I had a 50 degree rule, luckily I haven't had to use that rule in about 17 years!
Old 12-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Superstock

Speed_Demon is an unknown quantity at this point
I think riding in cold weather is good. Sort of like driving crazy on the back streets to improve your driving skills. I used to ride my MX bikes though the winter and got to the point I could find a balance point and ride/corner fast on snow and ice. Just be careful though, cold tires suck.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:14 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Speed_Demon
I think riding in cold weather is good. Sort of like driving crazy on the back streets to improve your driving skills. I used to ride my MX bikes though the winter and got to the point I could find a balance point and ride/corner fast on snow and ice. Just be careful though, cold tires suck.
Yeah dirt bikes are a little different, not like you're going as fast. I used to ride my YZ in the snow just to see how long I could ride down the road sideways!!
Old 12-08-2006, 07:25 PM
Back Marker

05xman is on a distinguished road
it was about 30 out when I left the house today. But I only work 8 miles from my house. so not to bad
Old 12-08-2006, 08:30 PM
v-twin4tmfw
Back Marker

996 is on a distinguished road
Cold Weather Gloves

I bought a pair of tourmaster coldfront carbon gloves http://www.amazon.com/Master-Carbon-.../dp/B000GSIOAE and they are great. They have the added protection of carbon on all of the knuckles but also have thinsulate and hipora on the inside for warmth, waterproof, and breathability. I also use a tourmaster 3/4 jacket that keeps me very warm. I've driven for over an hour at slightly under 30ºF and wasn't uncomfortable at all.

Originally Posted by barkmagnet
Ok don't laugh at me..............
It was 32 this morning in Central Fl. and down in the 20's tonight with a hard freeze warning !: shock:
I wear a Tourmaster Jett jacket with liner,some kid of cheap snow gloves with 3M Thinsulate and a bandana around the neck. I need to get one of those balaclavas, Isn't that a desert? Oh, thats baklava. The gloves do a pretty good job, but just dont have any protection. What would you all recommend for a decent cold weather glove and textile over the pant,pants?
Thanks.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:46 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
One "trick" I've done when a long cold bout sets in but the roads are still rideable is too block off the rads so the bike runs warmer. Works good around town or at low speeds but at higher speeds it usually comes back down.

An electric vest is consider the best thing to do. Warms your central interior which allows the body's thermal regulator to send more warm blood to the rest of the body.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:06 PM
Superstock

VTRDarren
oooh.. just remembered another good trick to help the hands. Pick up some silk glove liners, I've seen them in white or black silk at army/navy surplus for a few bucks. I stuff those in the pocket of my tank bag in case I find myself with a cold ride home. They will fit nicely under any glove and give you an added layer to warm the hands if you're in a pinch.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:38 PM
Superstock

Scumbag is an unknown quantity at this point
if stuff is not falling from the sky....I ride....I think the coldest I have seen thus far this winter has been 25...I rode this evening...good stuff
Old 12-08-2006, 11:42 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superhawk22
Much like you I had a 50 degree rule, luckily I haven't had to use that rule in about 17 years!
For long rides I too have a 50 degree rule. For short rides around town, however, my rule is 35 degrees. Today here in (not) Hotlanta was not doable.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:18 AM
Squid

RedHotFireStorm is on a distinguished road
One rule of thumb to remember:
Our very smart bodies restrict warm blood circulation to our extremities when our core (near the heart) temperature drops. Basic built-in protection.

So you can use every trick in the book for your hands, feet and legs but you MUST start by keeping your core WARM (warm jacket/layers/polar fleece vest) whatever

The rest will follow.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:24 PM
Squid

Str8away Hater
I ride year round, and even with temperatures into the teen's. As long as there isn't any precipitation I'll go for a ride. My rides are rarely shorter than 2.5 hours, so it can be hard to stay warm. I use fleece glove liners (minimal help), my boots are gortex leather (they stay warm enough), and I either layer up under my leathers (45 or above) or wear a Firstgear Thermo 1-piece textile suit.

I just picked up a Gerbing heated jacket liner this year. I have yet to see its full advantage, but we've been really warm here lately. I can thus far, I think it will make a HUGE difference!!
Old 12-22-2006, 05:07 PM
Back Marker

azhawk1 is on a distinguished road
Ive been riding here in noraz in the thirtys and the fleece neck warmers are very helpful and I just purchased some underarmour and it works great ,other than that just be safe!