Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

C'mon guys-fess up-anyone use delo400?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 02:24 AM
Squid

ericaa is on a distinguished road
C'mon guys-fess up-anyone use delo400?

Re my previous post--Aussie wants help.
Thanks to the forum members for the tips and advice(and humour) so far,but does anyone actually use delo400+in their Superhawk????????????
A positive confirmation is all I need to give it a try!
Hope someone can comment!

Thanks again---
Cheers-Eric
Old 04-27-2008, 03:04 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Per your previous post, CI-4+ Delo is still available in Oz. Not here. With the exception of Walmart/Super Tech 15w40 (which I currently have in my VTR's crankcase), all 15w40 mineral oil available in the U.S. is rated CJ, with reduced Zinc, Phos and detergent. I'm not aware of anyone on this forum using Delo. The two most popular "non motorcycle specific" oils used by folks here would be Mobil 1 15w50 and Shell Rotella 15w40 (Rimula 15w40 CI4+ down under). My personal opinion?-- any CI4+ rated 15w40 is an excellent oil for the VTR, or any other motorcycle. The jury is still out on the CJ 15w40. If you don't wish to waste your money on "motorcycle" oil, I'd stock up on whatever CI4+ 15w40 I could get the best price on.

Last edited by RK1; 04-27-2008 at 03:20 AM.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:32 AM
Squid

ericaa is on a distinguished road
KK1-Thanks again for the reply--Yep I understand this time,and thanks for the advice.Just to let you know,I contacted Shell techs in Oz and they told me no Rotella product is availible here and do not use Rimula.Its damn hard getting the right info----If your sure Rotella is actually Rimula ------please confirm?
A big thank you, to you(and the other guys)for your help.
I think my bike is starting to smell like a garbage truck---phew!
Cheers--eric
Old 04-27-2008, 07:00 AM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
I run Delo 400 - 15w40
Old 04-27-2008, 08:11 AM
RK1
MotoGP

Originally Posted by ericaa
KK1-Thanks again for the reply--Yep I understand this time,and thanks for the advice.Just to let you know,I contacted Shell techs in Oz and they told me no Rotella product is availible here and do not use Rimula.Its damn hard getting the right info----If your sure Rotella is actually Rimula ------please confirm?
A big thank you, to you(and the other guys)for your help.
I think my bike is starting to smell like a garbage truck---phew!
Cheers--eric
I can't confirm that Rimula Super is the same as Rotella, but since it's 15w40 and CI4+ I wouldn't feel I needed to. I'll bet it is though. Shell doesn't market a "motorcycle oil" here in the U.S., and has a portion of the Rotella forum dedicated to motorcycle use. Shell Au does market motorcycle specific oil, so they wouldn't admit that Rimula Super is Rotella and in any case would insist you buy the more expensive "specially formulated for motorcycles" product.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:21 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I've used it before in a pinch, and just to see how it would do. I had no problems but shifting wasn't as smooth as with the Mobil1 15-50.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:20 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
Chevron doesn't make a "motorcycle oil" and Delo is what they recommend for motorcycle use. I haven't had any problems with it so far, I'm using it because I can buy it from work at cost and one gallon is an almost perfect fill for the VTR.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:50 AM
Back Marker

TheRezyReb is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
I've used it before in a pinch, and just to see how it would do. I had no problems but shifting wasn't as smooth as with the Mobil1 15-50.
+1 on the shifting with the mobil 1. Previous owner was using Silkolene 20w50. After reading this forum, I tried the mobil 1, wow feels like a whole different bike. Just me being me, I still wanna try the rotella for comparison.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:10 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
I used Quaker State 15-40 Diesel this season, running good, I heard that pretty much all Diesel formulas are good for motorcycles
Old 04-28-2008, 01:48 PM
Back Marker

Hammer7205 is on a distinguished road
While we're on this oil "thing", (by the way, I buy the Honda GN 4), the dealer's Parts Guy said that Honda is now "recommending" 10w 30 - main reason? EPA. Pretty poss poor when the manufacturers are changing they're oil specs because of emmissions. I don't even want to get into all the different 55 Gallon barrells of oil blends I have for all my Ford Diesel service trucks. (Now remember, This is a SH forum, so no wisecracks about owning Ford's....)
Old 04-28-2008, 02:27 PM
RK1
MotoGP

There's another angle to Honda recommending 10w30. Since all passenger car 10w30 is energy conserving, your choice is limited to Honda oil, or another high dollar boutique motorcycle oil.

There's another reason to avoid PCMO, even if it isn't energy conserving. The current ones, even the 10w40 and 20w50 have greatly reduced levels of zinc and phosphorous, below the minimum level set by JASO.

There are exceptions, like M1 15w50 marketed mostly for older and high performance V8s, which still has plenty of zinc and phos.

I think if you don't want to pay the premium for "motorcycle" oil, or even M1 15w50, the best oil is one of the 15w40 universals. Even the new "CJ" rated ones have plenty of zinc and phos for bike engines. And they aren't "energy conserving" either.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:32 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Energy saving is evil,very evil
Old 04-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Squid

MotorToad is on a distinguished road
I've been using Delo for years in my FZR, at least 20,000 miles. It seems fine.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:22 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
Hey all,

Just changed my oil to Delo 400LE (CJ-4/SM CI-4 plus) from costco for the first time.......coming from castrol 4T moto 10w40. first run seems like ive lost a decent amount of engine braking and maybe some take off power? is my clutch slipping? or is my mind playing tricks on me? Is this something anyone else has experienced? does the fact alone that im using a heavier oil cause this? any comment guys?

thanks....
Old 11-30-2012, 07:06 PM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Out here in Oz I have used a diesel oil in my last 4 bikes without any adverse effects.

I have recommended this oil to many friends and they now swear by it too.

I used it in my TRX850, my FZR1000 my Aprilia Shiver and now the VTR.

I have never experienced any problems with slipping clutch and usually change my oil and filter every 3,000KLMs or there abouts.

The oil I use here is called Nulon Premium 15W-40 High Performance Diesel oil.

I can't remember the ratings although when I researched it about 6 years ago it fitted the requirements for an oil bath clutch.

I remember the trepidation that went along with the first oil change with this product, and also remember the satisfaction that I felt when I took that first ride and the gear change was soo much better.

I was also impressed with how the oil stayed clean looking between changes.

Previous to this oil I always used Motul, and paid through the nose for it.

I believe that there is some truth in the statement that a lot of oil companies use scare tactics when it comes to pitching their products at various segments of the automotive, motorcycle and marine markets.

I have covered approx 100,000Klms combined using diesel oil under a wide range of conditions and will continue to do so.

I urge anyone contemplating a switch to a diesel oil to research it thoroughly before deciding and make sure that it does not have any friction modifying addatives in it, as these are the ones that will give you clutch problems.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:56 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
Update. Went on a few more runs and definitely noticed clutch slipping. So i changed oil again, this time to rotella 15w-40. great results. smooth shifting and a good bite on the clutch. happy so far. I'll update my experience after i put some miles on.

DO NOT use DELO400LE
Old 12-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
I ran the Rotella T 5w40 synthetic this year after a few years on the Rotella 15w40 conventional. Cold startup is improved a little bit (I ride down to mid 30sf). Shift action feels about the same.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:32 PM
Squid

ceck is on a distinguished road
Noticed a couple of other Aussies on the thread. I've used Castrol Power 1 GPS and had no issues with performance. The oil is nice and dirty, not filthy black, at changing (5-6,000 km) which as i understand is doing its job holding contaminates in suspension. But i have thought of going for something cheaper and so researched Penrite an Oz company, emailed the tech support and they advised their LPG or Diesel bias oils are suitable, and when the auto chains have specials they are relatively cheap.

Extract of Tech advice-
"In the meantime, given the similarity between the 10W-50 product and our LPG oil (HPR Gas 10, semi-synthetic, SAE 10W-50) this may happily substitute for the bike oil. Oils for motorbikes need to be able to handle wet clutches and having something of an LPG or diesel bias allows them to handle the heat better"

I'm at oil change time now and plan to give the Gas 10 a go over the Christmas break!
Old 12-10-2012, 01:52 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by davidka
I ran the Rotella T 5w40 synthetic this year after a few years on the Rotella 15w40 conventional. Cold startup is improved a little bit (I ride down to mid 30sf). Shift action feels about the same.
+1 Good enough choice, use it my self... No slipping clutch and last longer. Also, yes... cold start up a bit easier. I actually run it on all my bikes with great records so far.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:08 AM
SuperBike

Just what I said, be scared into buying bike specific oils and pay the price.

100,000Klms plus and no probs so far.

Go the diesel oil I am a convert and happily preach to the unconverted at every opportunity.

The savings allow for more regular changes.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:25 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hammer7205
(by the way, I buy the Honda GN 4)
'Tis what I use as well. 10w40 during the summer and 10w30 at the begining and end of season when it is colder. I will also use Spectro non-synthetic (read: the cheapest) from time to time as well, also good stuff.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:50 PM
Superstock

RobertLever is on a distinguished road
It's great to hear from Aussie VTR owners on the website. Remember to send all your old 19 liter VTR tanks to us riders in the ' states...
Old 09-02-2013, 03:44 AM
SuperBike

No way cobber, we need everyone that we can get here in Oz!

Interesting thread this, still using diesel oil and have now extended the changes to 5,000klms with no adverse effects.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:05 PM
Deals Gap is a Hoot!
Back Marker

SIRR1 is on a distinguished road
I love the smell of Castrol Bean oil in the old green and white checkered pint metal can!

Good stuff, back in the late 80's we would mix it 3oz. to a gallon of fuel for our 2 strokes and pour the rest in the crank case to lube the tranny and we would never seize a piston or fry a clutch, the oil was magical!

On the track everyone knew who was running Castrol Oil it had the smell of victory and it was not cheap either, like 8 bucks a pint over the counter at the local Suzuki / Yamaha shop rat bastards!

One year up at the local Honda shop a friends Mom owned at the time 10 of us running the AMA "P" Junior region short track series all pitched in and purchased a 35 gallon drum of the stuff out of St. Louis, we had bean oil for like 3 years!

I would take a clean gallon jug up to the shop and pump out a gallon, pick up some B9EV plugs and go racing the CR's that weekend!

We ran that oil in everything, weed eater, leaf blower, dirt bikes what ever, I think I still have a gallon in the shop some where for a special occasion like maybe a seniors vintage race in the future!

Oh the good old days!

SIRR1

Last edited by SIRR1; 09-23-2013 at 08:10 PM.