Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Clutch Adjustment

Old 12-06-2007, 07:13 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Finally had a minute to spend on the bike and when we bled the slave I thought we got way to much air out of it to be just purging the tube. I went out for a good little ride after that, took multiple stops and it held all the way.

Is is possible that the seal between the slave and the actuator rod is leaking? Like I said before I got no puddles but could it be leaking air into the sytem?
Old 12-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Doug, even with air in the system it will not hold the slave in a position. The clutch springs will push the rod and slave cylinder back out, and the associated fluid will rise to the reservoir. The tiny hole in the master cylinder keeps the hydraulic system vented to the res until the lever is pulled. Then the vent port is covered and the system is allowed to be pressurized.

I think that your clutch is worn...or you have weak/broken clutch springs which will allow it to slip as well.

The ONLY other possibility is that you have some sort of foreign matter, bad seal, or corrosion in the slave which will not allow the slave to return to it's normal at-rest position.

Hope this helps. ****, I never called you back. Just remembered....
Old 12-10-2007, 06:37 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I think the "foriegn matter" is a good call. I am going to flush this thing until it fails. Like you said, if it is junk it's going to fall to the slave and then repeated bleeds will flush it out. I could believe the PO was a bit of a cowboy but I doubt that had much to do with clutched up wheelies. I just want to get through the winter riding season and then I can tear it apart next summer. I am surprised to hear to you tell of a Honda clutch that is trash at 20k miles. You put most of those miles on your Superhawk didn't you? Still surprises me!
Old 12-11-2007, 06:33 AM
Back Marker

Slim is on a distinguished road
Clutch life is more dependant on useage characteristics and habits, not operation lifespan.

I actually was going to ask the mileage of the bike, just for (somewhat useless) reference. I've got 23000+ kilometers on mine.

I'm confused though - first it was inconsistent clutch engagement, then a slipping clutch and now a clutch lever that doesn't return to the same place. Wtf!?!?!?!

I have more questions than anything else now - gotta start a new thread so I don't screw this one up on you, Nuhawk.