Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Clutch or ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 05:21 AM
Squid

Erion_squid is on a distinguished road
Question Clutch or ??

Ok so my girlfriend just recently learned to ride on my SH and now i am noticing a bit of an issue. When i accellerate in any gear from 3k to about 5k i will pop out of gear. If i forget about it...expecially in traffic...makes for an interesting ride and a beautiful overrev sound. So did we fry the clutch or is this far worse?

Thanks
Old 06-29-2006, 04:18 AM
Squid

:: Help Me
Old 06-29-2006, 09:00 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Doesn't sound good to me......don't you know never teach on your baby!! It sounds like a bent shift fork or ground gears, check this link for a little more info and maybe try and contact the member and see what they finally did. https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...highlight=pops
Old 06-29-2006, 01:01 PM
Superstock

Lefin102 is on a distinguished road
I had a 900rr that had a similar problem. The shift drum had a small piece missing out of the 2nd gear stop. It sounds like and internal problem.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:58 PM
Superstock

sprhawk neil is an unknown quantity at this point
plus one on the shift fork.I could be wrong but I think I read that ZZRsouth had the same problem and got rid of it?Read his post's to see that outcome I hope this helps
Old 06-29-2006, 06:08 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
For this to happen in every gear it doesn't indicate a bent shift fork. I'd be looking at the detent mechanism (my laptop shop manual is in the car and I can't remember what system is used.) I'll bet a hold down bolt came loose.

It wouldn't be the clutch either. But its probably the cheapest problem.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:47 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
You're right Jschmidt I forgot he said any gear for it to be the shift fork it would be all three. Acording to the manual you're looking at one of the follwing, 1) worn gear dogs 2) worn gear shifter grove 3) bent shift fork shaft 4) broken shift drum stopper arm 5)worn or bent shift forks 6) broken drum stopper arm spring 7) broken gearshift spindle return spring. By looking at it, it looks like if the shift plates somehow got loose it could also cause it to come out of gear.

Download the manual and you can see it all for yourself and do the repair yourself if your confident in your abilities.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:18 AM
Squid

ok well i dont know if thats a bad thing or a good thing but i have hope now. Do you know if this is covered or where i can get a diagram of how it should be. I am underway now, so i cant just tear it apart but i would like to get as much info as i can. This will be the first time i tear into anything quite this complicated.
Thanks for all your help
Old 07-06-2006, 10:14 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Good call on the detent mechanism. It is a roller on a spring-loaded arm that rides on a star-shaped cam on the end of the shift drum. If the bolt has come loose the roller can slip off of the cam. You should be able to feel a poitive detent when you run through the gears with the engine off.

You may be able to access the retainer bolt with a 5mm allen wrench without removing the clutch basket. I think it is directly visible when you remove the side cover. It is a shoulder bolt, so be sure the shoulder section is through the arm when it tightens. If the roller is off of the cam, it may be interesting to try and get it lifted back in to place with the clutch on. It may not be possible.

Then I would run through the gears again with the cover off (engine off, of course), to see if you are getting a positive detent.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:53 AM
Superstock

It makes more sence since the problem is in all gears. I think RCVTR is right and remember aftermarket gear selectors are available for some bikes. Its a good place to start.
Good luck
Old 07-06-2006, 10:56 AM
Superstock

http://www.powersportspro.com/partsfish/login.asp

Try to log on to this site and you will see the parts in the gearshift drum file.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:23 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
I have the stock detent arm and spring from my '02 if you find yours is shot, pay the shipping and its yours... I changed mine out with the factory pro arm/spring at around 600 miles. I had to remove the clutch basket to change mine out but if it happens to just be loose or not in the right spot you may be able to fix with removing the basket.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:08 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
The factory pro unit is very good. If the OEM is damaged it is a good opportunity to upgrade this part.