Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Clicking sound on my hawk (new to forum)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 06:40 AM
European Member
Back Marker

RoadManiac is on a distinguished road
Clicking sound on my hawk (new to forum)

Hi all i am florian aka roadmaniac
not really a maniac on the road its just my name on other forum aswell
not that you would care because i drive al the way over the pond here in holland,
but anyway i came to this forum
because my local bike forum doesnt give nearly enough info as this forum does so hope you can help me :

my hawk is from 00' its got 47,000 km about 30,000 miles on it
previous owner crashed it and the clutch cover was complety friction schratched open en leaking oil off course,
and the fairings were smashed
bought for next to nothing fixxed everything its al in working order
it starts fine, runs great,
but it backfires quite alot but recently it got better maybe to much choke ?

but only on like low cruising speeds around like 50 km/h it makes a clicking sound like every 4 of 8 seconds random ticking with higher rpm and around on low rpm but only in neutral,
when in gear at that rpm the noise comes back en sometimes when i almost stop or just pull away

i was guessing its gotta be the ccts, but they look like there recently been replaced because the alloy doesnt have the same color as the engine case, the front one has a visible mint gasket on it, and the rear one has a white dot on it, here is a clip at idle and like 10% throttle hope some of you experts can hear past the noise and here something wrong or hopefully not
DSCF3122 - YouTube

greetings roadmaniac
Old 03-14-2013, 06:52 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Greetings Flatlander!

Have you checked for airleaks in the exhaust/headers esp the rear header. There should a compressible copper ring gasket where the header joins onto the cylinder head. And depending on your exhaust set up, where the header connects to the link pipes, either a graphite seal and clamp, or a good tight interference fit and clamp.

As for CCTs, replace factory OEM with manual CCTs before it implodes!! - This guy is relatively local to you ;-) and is shipping in shortly some Krieger CCTs

Another thing is to replace is the standard OEM unfinned R/R with a later upgraded finned version.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:48 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
+1 sounds like exhaust leak from the video, but hard to tell online. Put your hand near the headers to see if you can feel any pulses or smell any exhaust in those areas.

If you don't know the history of the CCT's it's recommended that you replace. Manual ones won't fail but are harder to install, OEM ones will need to be replaced again as a wear item.

And the R/R is likely ready to be updated like Wicky said, but may also want to look into a MOSFET unit.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:54 AM
European Member
Back Marker

those links on the pipes where my idea to but how can i tell when the gaskets failed on th seam is it goin to be black or something, i will make a close up pic of the seam ia have a good camera so hopefully you can see,
but how can a exhaust leak sounds like a click,
some poeple also say it can be the cam chain slapping on the case is this the case ,

greetings florian
Old 03-14-2013, 11:14 AM
Squid

captainoi666 is on a distinguished road
Hi Florian,

from the Netherlands you can also try the automatic CCTS from Mr. Higgens in Germany.
The Higgens CCTS will automatically tighten itself. No manual action required. Once installed, they work forever without attention.
They are much more expensive than the manual CCTS. A pair of them will cost you about € 260 less the German VAT of 19%.
If you don't send him the old one back, you additional have to pay 35 €.
I have them on my Superhawk since a long time. No problems with the CCTS, no attention to them.

Look here (sorry, only in german language) Higgens Shop Bereich - Alles rund um die VTR Firestorm und SP1/SP2

Cheers Buk

Last edited by captainoi666; 03-14-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:29 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
You'll need to put your ear near to the source of the sound. The rear header pipe will be awkward as it's buried behind the rear shock.

CCTs mainly fail without any warning, if it loose enough to slap around then it means the camchain will have already jumped off the timing sprockets, generally causing valves to meet piston - the sound will be like the proverbial bag of nails, only worse.

Originally Posted by RoadManiac
those links on the pipes where my idea to but how can i tell when the gaskets failed on th seam is it goin to be black or something, i will make a close up pic of the seam ia have a good camera so hopefully you can see,
but how can a exhaust leak sounds like a click,
some poeple also say it can be the cam chain slapping on the case is this the case ,

greetings florian
Old 04-27-2013, 05:44 AM
European Member
Back Marker

hi guys few weeks ago i did my cct replacement to the krieger manual ones everything went well , and the clicking sound is gone but not completly, when the bike is cold you will hear it 1 time in 4 miles or so
when the bike heats up it clank/clicks maybe 4 times in 4 miles,
did have some damage on the cilinder housing on the rear cilinder but the oem ccts where fine and the mccts have the right amount of slack about 6/7mm or 1/4

but i noticed that the rubber clamps on the carb / header mounts where loose i tightend them off course maybe tighten them more ? or is the sound the exhaust ?
the bike runs and starts great has good power, so im assuming the sound is not that much, also i did damage my front pipe going in to my garden wich has a nasty hump maybe the gasket has moved or something

greetings from across the pond
Old 04-27-2013, 08:22 AM
Superstock

zxbud is on a distinguished road
Firstly, it doesn't sound too bad. I'd take a compression test before doing anything else. 165psi is good. If that's ok I'd next set the TPS to 500ohms, take out the carbs and set up as seen below in the sig. Put new float valves in, also.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:57 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by zxbud
, take out the carbs and set up as seen below in the sig.
I wouldn't recommend that set up..... I tried something simalar and didn't get very good of results from it. Though YMMV.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:50 PM
Superstock

zxbud is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
I wouldn't recommend that set up..... I tried something simalar and didn't get very good of results from it. Though YMMV.
Hawk
Do you think it's set up is too rich? It runs super from bottom to top with no issues at all. It now has one vent hole in the slides and it seems to lag for a brief moment if snapped open from say 7k in second, but that's the worst I can say about it. Cruising mpg is about 40 and the 48 pilot jets may use a little more gas but the gasahol around here is bad so that may be the reason it dropped from 45-46mpg. If I go in there again I might change pilots back to 45s but that's about all. None of the 40 or so bikes I've had, some injected, run any better than this one.