Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

APE's - Clicking

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 09:53 PM
Squid

mikenap is on a distinguished road
APE's - Clicking

Is the CC clicking noise obvious to a person that has never heard it before?

I was due for a valve clearance check and figured it would be a good time to swap out the stock CCT's with the APE's. Since I had the valve covers off I set the APE's to give 1/4" slack on the CC as indicated on the package.

Then I got the bright Idea to tweak them by backing off until I heard a noise. I went out 1 and 1/2 turns and never heard a noise...instead of turning out more I chickened out. The noise should be obvious right? Just for kicks I turned the rear in past my original setting and the RPM's dropped. This makes me think I have them set to tight but I'm so afraid to back them out too far.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:02 PM
Superstock

denmah
what are you asking again, lol.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:56 AM
Squid

Hey denmah, I remember your post on CCT's.....I found it a little easier not to take the motor out of the bike to change them.......lol.

Seriously did you measure the cam chain slack between the cam sprockets when you set your APE's or did you wait until you had everything running and then adjust them by sound? I've never heard what a loose cam chain sounds like. I got scared when I backed the adjusting bolt out a turn and a half and didn't hear any difference (yes - the bike was running...lol).
Old 06-28-2006, 06:15 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

99Hawk
mikenap
Are you talking about a 1/4" slack 'between the sprockets' ?? If so that's a bunch of slack.
With the cyl at TDC I tightened the bolt as far as I could 'finger tight' and then backed off 1 turn. This closely matches the plunger pressure of a stock CCT, (which I measured to be close to 5 pounds).
Old 06-28-2006, 07:53 AM
Squid

Yes I set 1/4" between the sprockets at TDC. The instructions on the APE package said set slack between 1/4" to 3/8". I even backed the bolt out one turn l but never heard a ticking.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:55 AM
SuperBike

EngineNoO9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by mikenap
Hey denmah, I remember your post on CCT's.....I found it a little easier not to take the motor out of the bike to change them.......lol.
he had to drop it to check his valves and pistons because his cam chain skipped a tooth and he thought he smashed the pistons and valves. removing the front head is impossible with it in the bike
Old 06-28-2006, 09:49 AM
Squid

I know....my post was a lame attempt to be funny.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:01 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

99Hawk
I remember reading that instruction of 1/4" slack now, personally I think that's BS. If you were to check the 'slack' with a stock CCT in I think you'd find it to be basically zero. The stock CCT plunger is putting a constant pressure of about 5 pounds in the middle of the cam chain. If you removed the valve cover and chain guide at TDC the chain between the sprockets would be tight. If there was 1/4" slack between the sprockets then there would be much more slack in the longer run between the crank and the sprockets .... no way that's going to happen with the constant plunger force in place..
I back my APEs off 1 turn, with a 16 tpi APE plunger bolt that would be about 1/16th inch slack 'in the middle of the chain', or less between the sprockets.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:45 PM
Squid

I measured aprox 2/10" between the sprockets with the stock CCT in place so 1/4" seemed reasonable. Guess I was worried about having them too tight for no reason. Sounds like the APE recommended setting are on the loose side. If I don't here a noise guess I'm good to go.