Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

clicking in carb intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 10:13 PM
Night Rider
Squid

Apocalypse is on a distinguished road
clicking in carb intake

So i got in a crash a couple of weeks ago and i finally got my bike up and running again but my front carb seems to be making a slight metalic clicking sound and i think that the float is stuck on it as well. What could be making the clicking sound and whats the best guide for getting a float unstuck?
Old 07-18-2014, 05:06 AM
Deals Gap is a Hoot!
Back Marker

SIRR1 is on a distinguished road
Well there are only a few moving parts on the Hawks carbs, the linkage that opens and closes the flap, the slide, choke and the float and needle valve.

I doubt if you damaged the flap and slide because you would have to had bent the carb body and neither would move if damaged.

Same goes with the choke mechanism you would have had to really damage the carb body plus this part does not move when the throttle is turned.

So this leaves you with the throttle body linkage and the float and needle valve.

I am going to bet your crash bent the throttle body linkage in the accident since the float and needle valve do not move when the throttle is turned.

So I would do a visual inspection of the linkage and see if it's bent or broken.

As far as accessing the float and needle valve the entire carb assemble must come off the bike in order to get to the needle valve.

Pulling the carb assembly might not be a bad idea since your having issues with an add noise when the throttle is opened and snapped closed.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you figure out is the problem.

SIRR1