Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Carb swap question

Old 01-18-2012, 05:27 PM
Squid

Scott is on a distinguished road
Carb swap question

I have a '98 SH and a carb question. I foolishly let a couple and their kid stay in my spare bedroom while they saved up to move back to So Cal. I didn't know the dad was a meth smokin dick head until too late. Seems free room and board is something to be despised by the turd so he put something in my take that ate it, the aluminum in the petcock, and the carbs. Tried evaporust, POR 13 ect. before giving up on the tank and getting a new one. (red tank, yellow bike now). Also replaced the PC and carbs. The carbs are from a stock '03 whereas my originals are jetted for a Erion exhaust, KN filter combo. When I took the carbs apart I noticed two differences. The slide spring is WAY longer on the '03 which doesn't concern me but the needle taper is different also. I'd like to swap the jets as opposed to buying new ones but wonder if anything else might be different inside the water bearing beasts. Any thoughts, Thanks, Scott
Old 01-18-2012, 05:38 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
stock springs are long, the short springs are aftermarket.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:50 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
The old carbs have a dynojet kit in them.

If whatever it was ate the carbs, i don't know if I would want to use the jets and needles out of them.

I wrote a carb set up thread that you might want to try instead of swaping over all the dynojet bits.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:51 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I want to know what chemical did all that. Also, whats water bearing beasts? (you lost me there). Are there actual differences in the carbs year to year? I put 98 carbs on a 05 motor with good results.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:58 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
+1
The "carb set up thread" that 8541Hawk referred to can be found in the "Technical Discussion" subforum. It's a superb piece of work. You'll find it to be enormously helpful.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:41 PM
Squid

Water reference is due to the fact that they are plumbed into the cooling system. I'd also like to know what was used. It turned into a hard, yellow, cakey mass in the float bowls. I had to chisel it out with a screw driver to free the floats. It also swelled the plastic on the in tank filter screen so much that I had to destroy it to remove it. I switch to inline filters and forgot to flush the fuel lines with solvent so when I put on the new carbs it ran until I shut it down to finish reassembly the floats were stuck again. I pulled the carbs again and when still wet it looked like yellow gelatin. I just replaced the float covers to realize I forgot to remove the pilot screws and clean them so here I go again. I also just checked the TPS on the new one and it's at 872 ohms so I need to deal with that also. I hope I cross paths with that dillhole some day. F-n with my Pitts or my bike is a sure way to get hurt. I also have to find someone that wants to trade a red for a yellow tank dang it. NO cop will miss this paint scheme.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:17 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Is it possible the demented freeloader attempted to hide his drug stash in your tank?
Old 01-20-2012, 09:56 AM
Squid

I doubt he'd do that. He was so paranoid that when they left while I was at work I had to climb in the bedroom window because they chiseled out the door moulding to screw on a gate lock. He also turned off the mains so my garage door opener wouldn't work. Super glued the front door keyholes as well. i guess free room and board, HD dish and internet, and a new bike for the kid at x-mas was just too cruel. That **** ruins your brain. I found out that his gravy train (wife) left him when she found out what he did so maybe karma does exist. Homeless in LA should give him a check up from the neck up!
Old 01-20-2012, 11:17 AM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
I've got a semi complete set of carbs if you want them. I know it needs a slide, thought there was something else but can't remember now.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:29 PM
Squid

Thanx Jay and everyone else. I think I got nugget wrapped around it. Just gets frustrating to the point of clouded thinking when something so friggin' senseless like this happens. Wish I could say that I'll never help anyone out again but that won't hold up. I've owned everything from xl125, to Kaw triples, to v4 Hondas and everything in between and this is by far my favorite bike and motor. She'll fire as soon as the rain in NO. CA. passes. BTW I have the Honda service manual as a .pdf if anyone needs it. Peace.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:31 AM
Squid

WAYNEHAMMER is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Scott
Thanx Jay and everyone else. I think I got nugget wrapped around it. Just gets frustrating to the point of clouded thinking when something so friggin' senseless like this happens. Wish I could say that I'll never help anyone out again but that won't hold up. I've owned everything from xl125, to Kaw triples, to v4 Hondas and everything in between and this is by far my favorite bike and motor. She'll fire as soon as the rain in NO. CA. passes. BTW I have the Honda service manual as a .pdf if anyone needs it. Peace.
I do if you wouldn't mind emailing it to me. 1lowluv@gmail.com thank you
Old 01-30-2012, 11:05 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by WAYNEHAMMER
I do if you wouldn't mind emailing it to me. 1lowluv@gmail.com thank you
Or you can just download it from the KB part of the forum:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...-manual-11365/