Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

back lighting for tach and temp gauge not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 06:36 AM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
back lighting for tach and temp gauge not working

The back lighting for the tachometer and temperature gauge is not working on my 1998 Superhawk. The back-lighting for the speedo is still fine, and the gauges are still working otherwise. There are no other electrical issues with the bike. Is this a burnt out bulb? If so, anyone know how to replace it?

I'm not sure where to begin with this.

Edit: I think it's probably a bulb, but is it two separate bulbs, one for each gauge? And how do I get into the cluster to change the bulb?

Last edited by evines; 01-30-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:46 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
If all lights are out, I’d be looking at the gang plug on the back of the cluster.. with a VOM/ Ohm check for continuity to ground and power..on the plug side.. if that’s there, then possible a path what on the printed circuit inside the cluster is open.

if you do not have the service manual, go to the knowledge section here and down load it. The wiring diagram is section 20
Old 01-30-2012, 07:17 AM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
Pull the 3 bolts holding the tach housing on to the frame. Carefully move it so that you can see the back of it, but don't pull any wires out. You will see a single wire with a rubber boot in the top center of each gauge. Pull on the boot and the bulb will come out. Replace it with the standard bulb or a T10 LED. I would tighten up all of the connections while you have it flipped around, just a Phillips screwdriver on all the screws.

All of my lights went out and I only had 2 LED's so I put one in the speedo and one in the tach and they both give enough lighting so that I can see the temp gauge.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:24 PM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by aja
Pull the 3 bolts holding the tach housing on to the frame. Carefully move it so that you can see the back of it, but don't pull any wires out. You will see a single wire with a rubber boot in the top center of each gauge. Pull on the boot and the bulb will come out. Replace it with the standard bulb or a T10 LED. I would tighten up all of the connections while you have it flipped around, just a Phillips screwdriver on all the screws.

All of my lights went out and I only had 2 LED's so I put one in the speedo and one in the tach and they both give enough lighting so that I can see the temp gauge.
Sorry to jack the thread...but,

aja, are the T10 LED's brighter than the standard bulbs and are they direct (no re-wiring, no adapters) replacements?
Old 01-30-2012, 05:26 PM
aja
SuperSport

Yes and yes. They are WAY brighter and plug directly into the existing wires.

As for the fit, they will not fit through the holes in the cluster as they are. The corners of the top board that the top led sits on won't fit on the circle hole. I gently rounded the corners off on cocrete and they fit fine. There are different colors availabe also.

Here is what I got for mine. $1.90 shipped for two is a great deal, same seller I bought from and I had them in 4 days from Hong Kong.
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=43087923820

Sorry about the mobile link, I'm on my phone.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:28 PM
aja
SuperSport

Actually I had 10 leds per bulb, that is only 5 and looks like it will fit no problem. The bigger bulbs need to be rounded off