Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

cam chain tensioner help ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 04:39 PM
Squid

ashmash69 is on a distinguished road
cam chain tensioner help ?

I recently got my first vtr and its been playing up I think its cam chain tensioner if you rev the bike its like a rattle like a bag of nails being shook and is running really poor hard to set off and poor power ect rear cylinder not firing properly as pipe is not getting as hot as front but power will kick in sometimes when in a high gear its not plugs, carbs, air filter and valves are all good some advice would be great as this is my first v twin bike and its new to me thanks .
Old 08-17-2015, 05:50 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
It shouldn't sound like a can of nails being shaken. That can be a very expensive noise. Do you have stock cam chain tensioners or manual ones? Can you provide the year and mileage of the bike? Is the vacuum line to the fuel tap connected to the back of tap or is it on the spout that points down? Who determined that the plugs, carbs, air filter and valves are good? How was that determined? There are lots of people here who would like to help but providing more information would make doing so easier.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:02 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Cadbury64 is on a distinguished road
VTR1000's are known to suffer catastrophic camchain tensioner failures. If that happens, the chain can jump teeth on the cam sprockets and so the cam to piston timing goes out. This can result in the valves hitting the piston and getting bent. If your bike has this problem, DON'T RIDE IT!

I would suggest as a quick check that you pull the back cam cover off and check the valve clearance, when valves get bent the clearance goes way out of spec.