Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

busted rearlink mounting point

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Squid

acarp is on a distinguished road
busted rearlink mounting point

hey guys i was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to repair the mounting points for the rear link on the case my girls gramps and i stgarted tearing the hawk down some more to do some closer inspections and noticed that on the right side the hole for part of the rear link mounting point is busted. Or should i just get a new case. have been talking to someone about a short block already just curious if this would be salvgable possible even as a spare block
thanks ardie
Old 09-28-2009, 11:54 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
It's not a place to experiment on if you know what I mean... So I'd probably advise against it...

Buut a really good welder with good experience and the right kind of "busted" yeah... possible... But probably cheaper and easier not too...
Old 09-28-2009, 03:44 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
Is this the one with the really long bolt that goes over to the kick stand. If so, I found a crack in the same place about a year ago. It has probably been there since I bought it two years before that. I never had any reason to snoop around that area for anything until investigating an oil leak one day. The leak was from the rear CCT not the crack.

I explored every possible solution including having it welded. Nobody wanted to touch it with the motor in the frame. What I came up with may seem a little "Micky Mouse" but I'm happy with the result.

I smeared two packages of JB weld all over the thing. Not just the crack, much of the surrounding area as well. My intention was to tie as many surfaces and contours together as possible with the JB. I figured it had been cracked for quite a while so strength didn't seem like a huge concern. I also tried to understand the forces exerted on the linkage in that spot and as near as I can there is mostly pressure and little tension. So it shouldn't have the tendancy to pull apart. I do check it often for any sign of failure.

I must say that I don't particularly recomend this technique. It is somewhat of an experiment on my part. But the JB weld seems to have accomplished what I asked of it. I used to worry about it coming apart but that feeling has faded over the last eight or so thousand miles. Just thought I'd share my experience.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:59 PM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
would you post a picture of the crack, failure point? im interested in seeing if anyone else has ever experianced this problem.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:17 PM
Squid

mboe i dont think jb weld willl do the trick for the damage present for me but good info.

s far as pictures cameron ill have them up as soon as i can get a free minute tog et out to the garage..... hopefully i get a short block soon thanks for the help guys/gals
ardie
Old 09-28-2009, 09:27 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
JB Weld can do wonders, but I wouldn't trust it for a suspension mount or any other stressed part.

Has anyone else had a problem with this part of the case cracking? That sucks.

A good welder could probably repair it out of the bike using TIG. Should be as strong as new if done properly.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:59 AM
Squid

here are some pics sorry they of my blackberry
Attached Thumbnails busted rearlink mounting point-sh1.jpg   busted rearlink mounting point-sh2.jpg   busted rearlink mounting point-sh3.jpg   busted rearlink mounting point-sh4.jpg   busted rearlink mounting point-sh5.jpg  

Old 09-29-2009, 09:05 AM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
bet that bolt was incorrectly torqued
Old 09-29-2009, 10:42 AM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
That's exactly where my problem was. Mine was only cracked and not missing any pieces.

I am also curious if this is a common issue. When I noticed my crack I did some searching around here and didn't come up with any info on it. I thought I was the only one till now.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:05 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Here in the UK, due to salty winter roads, the rear suspension linkages can get heavily coroded leading to seized bearings.

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewto...p?f=31&t=11809

Though I suspect as hawxter996 suggests that it has been overtorqued at some point. However it came about, dropping a new secondhand engine in and recouping your losses by selling the old one as is, would be an easier option than the hassle of installing new cases IMHO.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:59 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Oh my! I've never heard of anything like this happening before today!
Old 09-29-2009, 05:09 PM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
thanks for the pics. after seeing the pics i went to check my bike. and mine looks good but i can see how the parts could break they look awfully thin and easily broken. i will be sure to lube this joint from now on during maintenance. thanks again.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:23 PM
Squid

no problem thanks for the info guys/gals yea over torqued and possibly also a result from the bike being in the accident it was in before i picked it up ill get a used short block and most likely to a fresh rebuild to play it safe