Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

busted cam chain

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 10:03 PM
Squid

superchicken is on a distinguished road
busted cam chain

super sad today, down shift from 3rd to 2nd and cam chain snapped (or I think) almost in tears as I have sought after this bike for years and only recently purchased a used one with way too many miles(20K). I only have $3K invested and do not know what to do??? Local shop wants a four hundred to assess damages, then what? I have ridden all my life, now at 35YO with wife and kids tons of work and no time to tinker. IS MY BIKE WORTHLESS NOW? Anyone have this problem? SH has tons of torque and I am not surprised that cam chain broke as I have put 5K of very hard miles on it. Please reply experienced unfortunates.

Aloha,

Eric

Very few hawks in Hawaii and parting out would not be very beneficial.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:13 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Unless you're doing the motor work yourself it's probably going to be cheaper even with shipping to buy an entire good running used engine off ebay. The bike's not worthless but you really can't expect to sell it for much with a blown engine. Sorry to hear about your troubles. And I just noticed you said hawaii so I'm not sure by how much that will affect your shipping costs. Ask a few people selling engines on ebay for a shipping price so you know where you're at vs fixing what you've got.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:16 PM
Squid

superchicken is on a distinguished road
Thanks captain. I'll have to think about this one for a while, just can't let it go. The good news is my wife feels bad and I'm going to check out a 2003 RC51 tomorrow morning. YEAH BABY!!!

Aloha,

new RC