Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

brake and clutch fluids

Old 09-16-2010, 11:14 PM
Superstock

Mattaua is on a distinguished road
brake and clutch fluids

Haven't had my SH that long but I know as a general rule when the fluids get darker its time for a change. Question is, what could cause the fluids to turn dark so quickly. The previous owner who I still chat with once in a while (he's got lots of parts and goodies he hooks me up with) supposedly changed the fluids just before he sold it to me. I'm pretty sure I remember them being fairly clear. Now, just a few months later they are almost black. In my limited experience that fluid change isn't some that you change that often.

I'll try to get some picks up when its light out.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:40 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Well the first 2 questions would be what year is the bike? and does it still have the stock lines or have they been replaced?

The reason for these questions is that if you still have the rubber lines (which actually allow water to migrate through them) and the fact of the high humidity\ moister where you live could be the reason for the rapid color change.

If you don't have them yet, replace the lines with SS braided lines and do a good flush of the system. Also plan of completely changing the fluids at least once a year.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:43 PM
Superstock

Mattaua is on a distinguished road
year is 1998, and I am not sure if the lines are stock, but they are just rubber lines.....and yes there is LOTS of humidity down here...Thanks
Old 09-17-2010, 03:19 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
If they are rubber, they are most likely the stock one's... 12 y.o and rubber... That's your dark fluid all right... I'd say it's worth the money to get SS lines...
Old 09-17-2010, 04:24 AM
Squid

lylesvegas is on a distinguished road
Where would you buy you're ss lines ?
Old 09-17-2010, 06:12 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
I think there is an additional reason that causes the brake fluid to look dark quickly. On my bike I noticed that six months after a fluid change the rear resevoir still looked clear and pristine but the front would go dark in a matter of months - clutch too but to a slightly lesser degree.
In the front resevoir a large portion of the volume is taken up with a black diaphragm. Because of that diaphragm I think even a slight darkening of the fluid appears much more significant.
My theory anyway...
Old 09-17-2010, 06:36 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Actually that diaphragm is like all other rubber... It's a good idea to swap it for a fresh one after a few years since it starts "leaking" more moisture, just like old lines...

But yeah, it migth add to the visible darkness somewhat...
Old 09-17-2010, 12:02 PM
‹ber Member
Superstock

justinity is on a distinguished road
This reminds me I want to change the clutch and brake fluids.
What would you recommended a synthetic or plain dot 4 brake fluid?
Old 09-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
It all depends on how much you want to spend and what makes you sleep the best at night.......

Actually any DOT 4 will work. Now I have gone to using Motul RBF600 as I am a pretty hard braker and it is the best compromise between cost and performance that I have found. http://www.amazon.com/Motul-RBF-Raci.../dp/B000AURZ08

But if you really want the very best, then you want Castrol SRF Racing Brake Fluid but you will have to pay to play in that league.......

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?tp...action=product