Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Bike won't start any more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 08:53 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Chrisguilday
Yeah i have the spring. It goes in between the two plates right?
Yes, in the recess on the one on the left above, and around the ridge on the one on the right.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:06 AM
Back Marker

Chrisguilday is on a distinguished road
Ok so in this ebay ad, where does the o ring gasket go? My petcock does not have one as far as I can see. Honda VTR1000 Superhawk Petcock Repair Kit 1997 2004 | eBay
Old 05-05-2013, 09:29 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I'd advise against the rebuild kit. It has given people trouble in the past. You can order the Honda cover set which is already assembled:

Honda part# 16953-ML0-034

The o-ring is sandwiched between the petcock and tank when you re-assemble.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:37 AM
Back Marker

What does the ebay link include that the oem cover set doesn't?
Old 05-05-2013, 09:37 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Rwhisen you mentioned disabling the vacuum part of the fuel petcock. I really need to be able to ride my bike while I'm waiting for parts as this is my only form of transportation for work. Do I still need a intact vacuum Diaphragm to bypass the vacuum part of the petcock? Looks like I'm replacing it any way so I suppose it can't hurt.
I don't think it's a good idea as you run the risk of having fuel all over the place......

Buy the cover kit and fix it right.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:39 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by RWhisen
I don't think it's a good idea as you run the risk of having fuel all over the place......

Buy the cover kit and fix it right.
AND FILLING the cylinders with more than enough fuel to hydrolock the pistons, meaning bent rods.

Dont do it..
Order the parts, express ship if needed, 2 days time you'll be back up and running.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:14 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
AND FILLING the cylinders with more than enough fuel to hydrolock the pistons, meaning bent rods.

Dont do it..
Order the parts, express ship if needed, 2 days time you'll be back up and running.
Yeah there is that chance too....
Old 05-05-2013, 10:31 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
This is what's in the OEM cover set:

Name:  0811091202.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  100.6 KB

(image sniped from another member on this forum somewhere)
Old 05-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Back Marker

I know I should buy OEM but I have only found one user complaining that the rebuilt kit didn't fit.

If I buy a rebuild kit I don't have to wait for the manufacturer to ship it to the seller, and then the seller ship it to me. I can just buy it straight from the seller. Like I said right now I am hitching rides to and from work, I need this part as fast as I can and can't afford to pay $50 for 1-2 day shipping.

Does this part look good? Obviously the picture is wrong, but it is the same model number that was posted on this forum by another member and it says it fits 1998-2004 super hawk

K&L Supply Fuel Petcock Rebuild Kits 18-5015

OR this one since it looks to have better shipping options.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-97-05-...7c927b&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Chrisguilday; 05-05-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Back Marker

Now, pictures installed on the bike.

READ THIS

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ix-pics-19843/
I don't have a picture of it on the bike. Unless you want me to put it back on the way it was before. The petcock is sitting on my desk. The way it was before I removed it was with both needles pointing down. It looked like picture 2 from the link you sent me. Except his is pointing left, and mine was pointing down. (Same way as the fake one)

I am experiencing very similar issues as minispeed was having (OP in thread you linked)

1. Cruising is not smooth, inconsistent power. Kind of hesitant feeling. Acceleration will progressively get worst until it won't accelerate at all, then it will completely shut off like it is out of gas.
2. Revs fine in neutral but again sounds rich and not smooth. It will rev high in gear too, just not after I ride it for a few minutes.
3. Definitely is running rich. I can see a little black smoke come out of the exhaust. I can also smell gas immediately the second I turn it on

Except my bike is also a little bit weird when you first release the clutch to get going. Rpm likes to drop inconsistently. It likes a decent amount of gas when your getting it in gear.

But we never came to a conclusion if my petcock really was the problem. But from what I'm experiencing, what do you guys think? I know I have to replace it any way because after I reassembled it it started leaking.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:56 PM
Back Marker

So an interesting thing just happened...

I just put the old petcock back on and started it up one last time before storing it until the new one comes. Gas starting shooting out of the right exhaust pipe (Not the can, the actual exhaust PIPE underneath the bike) This is the rear cylinder.

Gas was coming out of a little hole thats in the exhaust pipe right below a metal tensioner. I realized this was probably because when I put the petcock on last night it was leaking the whole night and gas probably dripped into the exhaust pipe some how. I started the bike up and it just started spewing gas out of the exhausts. After about 15 seconds of it running it stopped shooting gas and just smoked real bad. I turned it off and took the tank back off because I noticed the petcock was still dripping.

Could I have caused any damage?
Old 05-05-2013, 02:44 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
The float(s) are sticking or the float valve(s) are bad.

You have more than likely filled the crankcase with gas also.

If so you need to drain it and put in fresh oil.....and filter as you have run the engine.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:47 PM
SuperBike

Sounds like your cylinder may have filled up with gas which could be bad if it hydrolocked. You wouldn't have been able to start it if that was the problem. Pull your plugs, put a towel over the heads and crank the motor. Turn off the petcock.

Order the petcock kit and rebuild it properly or you will create more problems for yourself. Drain the oil and change oil filter.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:15 PM
Back Marker

I don't think my carb floats are stuck. When I took the tank off this morning I saw a lot of gas around my petcock. It was clearly leaking the entire time last night. I'm also missing a considerate amount of gas in my tank. I think the gas leaked down into the exhaust pipe. But when my petcock arrives I will check the floats.

Bike didn't hydrolock. Still turned on and it ran for a good 30 seconds before I turned it off. It was having trouble running though. But I think it was having a rough time staying on because my vacuum in my petcock doesn't work at all. I don't think any gas got into my pistons but I am going to flush every thing out and put new oil in when I get the new petcock before I start it again.

When I first got the bike I noticed a strong gas smell the second I turned it on. I think the petcock has always leaked and gas had always been getting into the exhaust pipe. I think that's why it always smelled when I turned it on initially.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:19 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
So how exactly can the gas go from the tank to the exhaust without going through the float bowl?
Old 05-05-2013, 03:54 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

I don't think my carb floats are stuck. When I took the tank off this morning I saw a lot of gas around my petcock. It was clearly leaking the entire time last night. I'm also missing a considerate amount of gas in my tank. I think the gas leaked down into the exhaust pipe.
Again still.... You can not have THIS and not have THAT

The only way for gas to get from tank to exhaust is through the carb. Sitting still over night .... the carb floats, the needle seat o ring, or needle and seat allowed gas to flow from tank to cylinders.... That can happen with a leaking O ring, bad needle / seat with or without a working petcock .. but with a bad petcock..... it's a for sure.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:12 PM
SuperBike

This is extremely difficult.....

Name:  forehead-slap.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  3.9 KB
Old 05-05-2013, 04:45 PM
Back Marker

Ah that makes more sense now. For some reason I was thinking you guys were assuming the petcock had nothing to do with it. I was positive the petcock was the culprit which was why I argued it. It didn't occur to me that the float bowls overfilled because of the petcock lol. Was having a dumb moment there.

By the way the gas can get into my exhaust pipe without going through the carbs / engine etc. There's a hole where a bolt used to be. That's why I thought maybe it dripped in there.

Last edited by Chrisguilday; 05-05-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:03 PM
SuperBike

Ah that makes more sense now. For some reason I was thinking you guys were assuming the petcock had nothing to do with it. I was positive the petcock was the culprit which was why I argued it. It didn't occur to me that the float bowls overfilled because of the petcock lol. Was having a dumb moment there.

By the way the gas can get into my exhaust pipe without going through the carbs / engine etc. There's a hole where a bolt used to be. That's why I thought maybe it dripped in there.
We are saying the petcock is the FIRST thing that needs to be fixed. If there is no vacuum (bike not running), fuel should not flow if the petcock is working as it is supposed to work.

The second part is that if there is vacuum the fuel should flow but the floats should meter it and not let it overfill the carburetors. When the carbs overfill, fuel flows into the engine filling it up. You'll have to trust us on this one, it does happen.

If you don't check this and what we suspect is true, ALL sorts of bad things can happen and you'll be walking or bumming rides for a considerably longer time.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:07 PM
Back Marker

We are saying the petcock is the FIRST thing that needs to be fixed. If there is no vacuum (bike not running), fuel should not flow if the petcock is working as it is supposed to work.

The second part is that if there is vacuum the fuel should flow but the floats should meter it and not let it overfill the carburetors. When the carbs overfill, fuel flows into the engine filling it up. You'll have to trust us on this one, it does happen.

If you don't check this and what we suspect is true, ALL sorts of bad things can happen and you'll be walking or bumming rides for a considerably longer time.
Yeah I understand and agree. I was just not seeing the whole picture before. It makes sense. I had a dirt bike that did the same thing with a faulty petcock which caused the bowls to overflow.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:25 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

What?? Huh??

You have a hole in your exhaust header that a bolt is missing from and gas can leak into it????

Are you talking about an exhaust clamp?

Or?????? Where on the header is this hole? Almost sounds like a threaded bung for an OT sensor to read air fuel ratios

Picture please
Old 05-05-2013, 05:31 PM
SuperBike

What?? Huh??

You have a hole in your exhaust header that a bolt is missing from and gas can leak into it????

Are you talking about an exhaust clamp?

Or?????? Where on the header is this hole? Almost sounds like a threaded bung for an OT sensor to read air fuel ratios

Picture please
Stop acting surprised....LOL
Old 05-05-2013, 06:07 PM
Back Marker

I can't tell if hes being serious or not lol. There's a hole where it looks like a clamp used to be.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:16 PM
SuperBike

Please post pictures. He's serious.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:23 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

I can't tell if hes being serious or not lol. There's a hole where it looks like a clamp used to be.
And with that Im out of here.

Best of luck with your bike.. Hope you find the help you desperately need.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:30 PM
Back Marker

And with that Im out of here.

Best of luck with your bike.. Hope you find the help you desperately need.
Alright, thanks for your help.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Back Marker

For any one who still cares, here is the picture of the hole. This is where gas was squirting out of.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:35 PM
SuperBike

OK If you remove that clamp you will see that the "hole" is actually part of the cut out for relief to clamp the pipe. It shouldn't be able to leak air much less gas and I assure you the gas did not go in that way.

You need to get on Ron Ayers website and look at the parts drawings that are on the site. It is up to you to learn about your bike and no better time to start than now.

Look at this to identify which gasket on your pipe is leaking:
Ronayers.com Microfiche Honda>Motorcycle>1998>VTR1000F>MUFFLER

You might as well order a new bolt and clamp because I doubt you'll be able to get yours free of the threads without breaking it off.

Last edited by RWhisen; 05-05-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:39 PM
Back Marker

Yeah I thought it might be that. They are like flaps right? So the metal can bend a tiny bit to make a more secure fit? I just saw gas literally dripping on that part of the exhaust when I first took a quick glance and thought maybe it had made its way in there some how. But the carbs over flowing defintely makes a lot more sense.

It isn't actually a hole, the exhaust pipe slides past that "Hole" but gas was still managing to squirt through it some how. Maybe its not tightened enough.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:50 PM
Back Marker

I don't see a gasket for the that part of the pipe. #8 says rubber, but I don't see anything else.

Also, how important is the gasket / bolt / clamp? I paid $1600 for the bike. I just put $100 into it, and I have about $200 left in savings haha. $120 of that goes to a new front tire, and the rest to new fluids / possibly break pads etc. I understand bikes cost money, and some times a lot of money. But if it is some thing that is not going to kill me to wait a week or two then I'd rather get it after I buy every thing that I "must" have.

Last edited by Chrisguilday; 05-05-2013 at 07:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Bike won't start any more.