Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

bike just died, complete loss of power/electricity

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Full Fledged Member
Squid

jeremyabbott is on a distinguished road
AJA, couldn't you have said I was stupid and wasted my money in a nicer way? Have you had experience with them before? Like do they have a shorter life then the OEM units?
Old 06-25-2012, 02:51 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Bandit400man
UPDATE!!

So I tested the battery...
Key off, at the terminal- 12.55VDC
Key on, lights on, all that- 12.0somethinVDC

So this is telling me my battery may have been spared? 12V seems spot on for a 12 volt battery...

Also, I may spring for this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-SHIND...624e04&vxp=mtr

It's pricy, but would give me a warm fuzzy knowing it would work AND look sexy doin it...
Did you notice if the voltage dropped consistently with the key on? I personally wouldn't waste the money on the r/r when I could get a unit that would work just as good for half the cost, and not to mention its hidden so looks wouldn't matter. I'm cheap though.

Jeremy, I don't like calling people out directly over the internet because it starts senseless arguments, so I tend to passive-aggressively make my point without knowing it. My cousin bought a r/r from them for his Dyna, it was inferior quality and a cheap China knock off, they wouldn't accept a refund or exchange, so that gave me my opinion on them. If you have good luck with yours maybe its hit and miss with that company.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:09 PM
Superstock

Bandit400man is on a distinguished road
aja- I can check that soon...but since I copied it from fireblades.org already...

"From my service manual for a '97 CBR 900:
(number on OEM part is SH633-12)
To check the regulator with a meter, looking at the reg/rec connector with the three pins on top, they are the yellow wires, the bottom right is the green and the bottom left is the red/white. Ohms between the red/white and each yellow should be between .5k and 10K Ω with the positive lead on the red/white. It should read open with the negative lead on the red/white. Between the green and the yellows, should be the opposite, negative lead on the green = .5k to 10k Ω, positive on green, = open to yellows:"

On mine using that test, the lead on the far right is open. (others @1.5ohm) No resistance. And coincidentally thats the same lead on the connector that looks burned and brown/black...fried Reg/Rec if I ever saw one before LOL

That said i'll now check for voltage drop...
Old 06-25-2012, 03:10 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by aja
Stay away from regulatorrectifier.com, they sell junk and over price it.

Do a search for local motorcycle salvage yards, you may find it cheaper there
Well I don't know why you have such a bad opinion of them.... I've had one of their R\Rs in my bike for about 5 yrs now with no issues.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:19 PM
Superstock

Everyone should know ANYthing you buy is hit or miss...if you look hard enough there's somebody that dislikes/loves just about everything

SO!...checked for voltage drop over a thirty second time period (long enough?) and 'key off' was a steady 12.60~.61. 'Key on' was steady 12.04~.05...over thirty seconds.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:43 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
I just bought a Kawi ZX10 reg/rec off fleabay for $60 and free shipping last month. Now I just have to mount that mother it's huge!
Old 06-25-2012, 03:56 PM
Superstock

IMHO, holes/vents/slots covertly put into the side fairing near the seat would look sick...put some mesh/screen from the back or even have the heat sink exposed (would you burn your leg??)...though I'll admit I'd be scared to cut up the beautiful blue paint job just to have it look like poop.

So whats the verdict on the battery? any other way to test it?
Want to make sure: 1) that I dont have to buy another one and 2) that when I get another Reg/Rec I wont fry anything by using a possibly faulty battery.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:28 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
If that battery was mine, I would keep using it.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:15 AM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
The battery sounds like it's fine. I would continue to run it. What happens is if the r/r goes bad it either starts sending A/C voltage to the battery if the rectifier goes bad and if the regulator goes bad it quits charging and runs the battery dead deep cycling it which is really hard on it, or it overcharges it and burns it up which could be potentially dangerous.

As far as replacing the fuses and testing you can go to most any autoparts store and get a reseting circuit breaker. This way you can replace it and if it pops again you're not going through a ton of fuses trying to diog the issue.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:27 AM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
Like the others said, if the battery was bad you would notice an immediate drop in voltage, when mine went bad it dropped around 1 volt per second.

When you replace it be sure to replace the burned connector, you may need to cut the wire back a little too.

Sounds like you got lucky, but keep an eye on lamps and lights once you get it replaced. My headlight and dash lights were blown as well and I didn't realize until I went to ride home and had nothing up front but the cyclops light haha
Old 06-26-2012, 07:59 AM
Back Marker

ascothawk is on a distinguished road
There is a connector under the seat near the battery box that should be checked.It's where the stator ties into the wiring harness.My plug was starting to burn,not as bad as the plug at the R/R. I cut the plug out and soldered & used heatshrink on the splice.A pain in the *** because theres not a lot of slack. If your plug is good just use some dielectric grease and you should be ok.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:31 AM
Superstock

Awesome...good things to check for, thanks guys! I'm still tryin to get one of FH series regulators on the cheap...people on fleabay seem to be tight lipped about it cause the MOSFET ones demand a premium...a lot of the cheaper ones I find out to be SH...same as stock.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:02 PM
Superstock

Oh and just an update. Checked all the other related wiring...nothing really burned or brown. Guess I'm lucky...thanks again for all the help guys!
Now back to my search...ugh...at least I still got the bandit.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:05 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, but that's a 400, man!
Old 06-26-2012, 03:33 PM
Superstock

EH! it still rips...just gotta wind er out to 9K. And honestly, unlike the hawk, I can flick the **** outta that thing..its gets dicey and fun
Old 06-26-2012, 05:07 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I was just joking 'bout your screen name