Best brake Line style??

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 04:08 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
Best brake Line style??

So I've seen some brake lines that go from the left to right caliper, then another that goes from the right caliper to the master cylinder. Then I've seen a lot that have a separate line that goes from each caliper all the way to the master cylinder. I'm just curious what's everyone's thought on either way?
Old 07-04-2012, 10:21 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
I have Galfer braided lines on the front. There is a separate line for each caliper and both run directly to the master cylinder. At first I was skeptical, but once installed I was pleased with the setup. There are fewer connections = fewer possible leak points, and less weight without a junction block.

My opinion is that this is a better setup.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:19 AM
Squid

stormingjoe is on a distinguished road
Twin lines are generally regarded as a race setup, single line for road/manufacturer some line kits are of this type most are of the twin line.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:43 AM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
Yeah I've noticed most are twin line. It's the same amount of connections either way, just less line on the ones that have the one line go from the left to right caliper so that'd actually be the lightest way. I've noticed that the dual lines is considered the "race" option. Though I'd be curious as to why. The only thing I can think of is that there is more fluid in the lines so it'd take longer to heat the fluid up.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:19 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
It's easier for me to bleed a brake line that goes directly from a front caliper to the MC than a brake line that arcs over the front wheel from one caliper to another or which passes through a junction.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:01 AM
Superstock

Upland111 is on a distinguished road
Talk to Mike or anyone of the technitions at HEL Brakelines, they are very helpful and will go out of their way to assist. He reccomended two seperate full length lines for the reasons listed above. I was impressed with their service and they made custom lengths, at no extra charge. Quick shipped to.

Home Page
Old 07-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Dual lines are used for racing for a number of reasons, the main ones are just down to common sense... Like you said yourself, the amount of fluid takes a while to heat up, dual lines makes it possible to move the calipers a bit, to swap the wheel "on the go"... And you get exact equal pressure... On a single line system, the last caliper gets a tiny little less pressure, down to line expansion and heat... As well as being easier to bleed, since there is no highpoints to catch bubbles...

Best performance is dual lines, easiest to cleanly route is a single line... It's that simple...