Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Battery started smoking and whistling

Old 04-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Squid

seattletwin is on a distinguished road
Question Battery started smoking and whistling

I attended my first track day today and wow, how fun is that! That is a different post though. After my last session I got back to the pits and heard a very high pitch whistle, combined with the sulfur smell of dying battery. I pulled the seat off and the battery was steaming and whistling like crazy. I was able to get the battery out of the bike and get it away from everyone until it cooled down.
A little history on this battery. Its over 2 years old and is a regular maintenance free OEM battery. I use a trickle charger on it since my commute is quite short. Over the winter I noticed it would not hold its charge very well especially when cold. I figured it was time to replace it anyway.
When I prepped for my track day I just unplugged all the lights and blinkers to disable them per track rules. I didn't want to just cover them with tape, for fear of cooking the tape onto the lenses and also I wanted to remove as much stuff as possible in case I crashed.
So I am thinking the battery was just worn out and died? Or maybe unplugging all the lights caused a problem? Or maybe the regulator/rectifier is bad? I have to buy a new battery before I can do any diagnostics but was wondering if anyone has any experience with this and can suggest a place to start.
And one other thing the Superhawk is a riot on the track, lots of torque, handles great and sounds wonderful.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:06 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
I have had alot of trouble with reg rectifiers. The original one before honda made the stronger is weak to begin with so most likely by removing/ unplugging your lights it overloaded the capabilities of the regulator. Hopefully only your battery is affected. The regs are pretty easy to test. If you need to replace it though don't go aftermarket get the improved one from honda. I've also fried a battery before kinda stinky, and mine was new .

Drew
Old 04-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
Yeah, sounds like the battery got over-charged.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:21 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
That is exactly what happened to my battery when my R/R died. So I'd say you need a new R/R.

Be sure to either get a finned replacement, or do a mod to a R1 or GSXR unit.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:16 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
That's how I knew my r/r had gone out. 18volts at idle! Man, my headlight sure is bright (POP!). Oops.....

Yeah, unplugging everything thus reducing the load made the symptoms more obvious.

Last edited by superbling; 04-10-2008 at 06:19 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:11 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lazn
That is exactly what happened to my battery when my R/R died. So I'd say you need a new R/R.

Be sure to either get a finned replacement, or do a mod to a R1 or GSXR unit.

Those will work? That is good to know
Old 04-10-2008, 08:14 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
They not only work they are a shitload better than the stocker avail from Honda. And a shitload cheaper! Lots of posts in the archive about how to wire them up. Good luck!
Old 04-10-2008, 09:24 PM
WERA #44
Superstock

happytrack44 is on a distinguished road
I have a GS500E one on mine, Huge with big fins. Cheap too!
Old 04-11-2008, 02:01 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Your battery is being over-charged... Either because it has a dead cell or your charging system is pumping waaay to much juice, possible R/R.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:05 PM
roll through
Squid

vtrider is on a distinguished road
yeah I got a shitty aftermarket electrosport one that was charging my batt at 19 volts. My PU rep gave me a free battery though,which was cool of him
Old 04-29-2008, 09:26 PM
Squid

seattletwin is on a distinguished road
Did some testing and the R/R was bad it was feeding out 18+ volts at 5k, I picked up a the new version (mine was the stock 98) and now all is good. New Battery $90 and $160 for R/R. All better now. Now I wonder if the R/R killed the battery or the battery killed the R/R, or maybe they both just died of natural causes. The battery was 2 years old and the R/R was stock.
Thanks for everyones advice!