Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Bad signal relay??

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 09:55 PM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Bad signal relay??

Okay, I'm still dealing with a mysterious electrical problem having to do with my turn signals delaying to the point of uselessness. The mystery is that when I start the bike and it's sitting there warming up, the signals respond instantly. After about 20 minutes of riding, though, they are delaying as much as 10 seconds. The battery is getting a charge, all of the connections, even the signal switch, look good. I dropped by a local shop yesterday and we brainstormed a bit.... we only came up with replacing the signal relay. Has anyone else been down this road??
Old 05-11-2008, 05:38 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Well, electrically, what changes after 20 minutes? Let's see...coils get warmer, reg/rect gets warmer, all engine electrical components get warmer. How do they interrelate? Electrically, they really don't. You say the bike is charging fine so it must not be a charging problem. Let's think about the physical location of the signal components then. The signal relay is located next to the reg/rect and we know that gets hot. Maybe try physically moving it away from the reg/rect and see if that helps. Also, check/clean the connector to the relay.

There's also the possibility that as the bike heats up a ground wire is loosening. Check those too.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:18 PM
New to the *****
Squid

luv2insanity is on a distinguished road
Mine completly died after I bought it. One day my blinkers wouldn't come on and they wouldn't even flash on the cluster. I took out the relay and just been dealing with it for about a month. I found one on Ebay for like 16 bucks or something, but the dude (Dewight H.) is kidn of rude...haha. There is a thread about it and it has a couple of numbers for ebay. I think it is called Blinker relay or something.

Last edited by luv2insanity; 06-04-2008 at 12:28 PM.