Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Any tips??

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 07:46 AM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
Any tips??

I'm going to be replacing my alternator cover and gear shifter when I get off work today. Are there any tricks to getting it off, reinstalling it? Anything I should know? And also do I just sandwich the new gasket or do I need to put any sealant type stuff on it? Just looking for tips and how to go about this. Thanks guys
Old 10-11-2013, 08:23 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Just sandwich the new gasket, and clean any other gasket material left off from the old one. A small $1 wire brush goes a long way for this I've found.

Sometimes they're hard to get off, but don't give in to temptation to wedge a screwdriver and pry... that'll dent the aluminum and your new gasket won't seal.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:40 AM
Superstock

VTRDarren
I've also used a razor blade to gently scrape off old gasket material. When removing the bolts, sometimes I'll get a piece of cardboard and poke holes in it to copy the location of the bolts as they are removed. I don't recall if some are different lengths and this helps upon reassembly.

Also be careful not to over tighten when putting back together, try to do the criss-cross tightening pattern so as to evenly tighten the cover.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:48 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
http://www.bojodownloads.com/downloa...rapersTest.pdf

A placcy scraper, A pan scourer and a can of gasket remover work wonders.

When sticking the new gasket on use some liquid gasket* on one side and lightly grease the other, so if you ever have to take the cover off again it'll cleanly release.

* Liquid Gasket latest type Yamabond Hugh bottle | eBay
Old 10-11-2013, 08:53 AM
SuperSport

Rubber mallet perhaps? I attempted to get it off the other day with no success. Does the middle bolt need to be removed before I can get it off? It seemed like it wasn't gonna budge
Old 10-11-2013, 09:25 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Middle allen bolt is a timing cover access. Go with gentle taps with the soft mallet...
Old 10-11-2013, 09:26 AM
Superstock

VTRDarren
Originally Posted by jscobey
Rubber mallet perhaps? I attempted to get it off the other day with no success. Does the middle bolt need to be removed before I can get it off? It seemed like it wasn't gonna budge
The middle bolt (center of cover) doesn't need to be removed. Some gentle taps with a rubber mallet can be helpful, I've done that.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:30 AM
SuperSport

So it seems like patients and slow progress are the key to this. Good to know cuz I'm usually the type to start jamming screwdrivers in there when it doesn't come off th first try
Old 10-11-2013, 09:51 AM
Superstock

VTRDarren
Also, I haven't looked in a while (and i'm at work), but check the seam for some excess overhang on the cover, usually near a bolt hole, that would be a good place to get behind with a little tap of that mallet. I don't recall if the vtr cover has this, but some covers I've had to budge free do (hope this makes sense).
Old 10-11-2013, 10:34 AM
SuperSport

Yea that makes sense vtrdarren. Thanks ill check it out. I'm gonna have to jimmy it somehow cuz the other day it wa like the bolts were still in it when I tried to get it off
Old 10-11-2013, 11:47 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRDarren
Also, I haven't looked in a while (and i'm at work), but check the seam for some excess overhang on the cover, usually near a bolt hole, that would be a good place to get behind with a little tap of that mallet. I don't recall if the vtr cover has this, but some covers I've had to budge free do (hope this makes sense).
I know it has those on the clutch side cover, can't remember if they're on the stator side as well, but they likely are.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:50 PM
SuperSport

looked for the excess to tap onto. cant find any. i cant seem to get it off no matter what i do. keep in mind im taking it off to replace it with a new cover because the current one was punctured in a recent lowside. let me know if you guys have anymore ideas. thanks!!
Old 10-11-2013, 05:09 PM
SuperSport

okay i got it off. i have gasket sealer. do i need it or should i just sandwhich the gasket in there?
Old 10-11-2013, 06:27 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jscobey
okay i got it off. i have gasket sealer. do i need it or should i just sandwhich the gasket in there?
Use the sealer. Make sure everything is good and clean