Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Any good way to lift front without stand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 04:26 AM
Superstock

archaicguy is on a distinguished road
Any good way to lift front without stand?

I need to change out my front tire and would like to do it without paying the rediculous prices that shops want. I don't have a front stand so I want to see if there are any others that have lifted it with an engine picker or other means and how you did it.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:01 AM
Squid

Skidmarkart is on a distinguished road
Growing up in the mountains of North Carolina, there was always a distinct lack of proper tools. A strong tree branch and a securely tied nylon rope to each handle bar served me for many a front tire service. If you have access to joist in your garage they will work too.

I don't recommend using the plumbing.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:00 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road

or get a headstock stand >

or use a stepladder to hoist the front end up
Old 05-21-2013, 06:04 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
You said you do not have a front stand.. Do you have a rear stand and a flat top jack like found in MANY small cars? If you have the rear stand but no jack, go to your nearest used wrecked car pick and pull, buy a jack for $2.00.

Place bike on rear stand, use a small section of 4x4 wood next to the oil filter, on the oil pan.. Jack up the front this way.

If you do not have a rear stand.... removing the seat and tank and doing the overhead lift (tree, sturdy rafters, A frame) is another option.

And of course... Go buy a front lift
Old 05-21-2013, 06:17 AM
Superstock

I do have a rear stand and a couple hydraulic floor jacks, I think that may be the best way to go. I guess there would be more weight towards the rear of the oil pan then. Sounds like the way to go.

I do have an engine hoist that I quickly hooked up by straps under the front of the frame but it seemed to apply pressure on the bars forward that I didn't like.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:46 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
You can use two straps of equal length, cinched around the frame rails and lifting from the center, so that the bike is stabilized. I did this whenever I had the front end off the bike. do not lift from a single point in the front. Make sure you are triangulated, so the bike is completely stable.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:29 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by archaicguy
I do have an engine hoist that I quickly hooked up by straps under the front of the frame but it seemed to apply pressure on the bars forward that I didn't like.
I bet you could work out something better with this! Tie it to the triples instead of the frame. You're just needing the wheel off, yeah?
Old 05-21-2013, 08:53 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by 7moore7
I bet you could work out something better with this! Tie it to the triples instead of the frame. You're just needing the wheel off, yeah?
Right... off with one and back on with another. I wasn't sure what components on the front of the bike were strong enough to hold the load and not get damaged/

By triples do you mean the upper clamp where the key goes is strong enough or strap it lower?

Last edited by archaicguy; 05-21-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:59 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

The rear stand or wheel vice on a lift and a jack under the oil pan is how just about every shop will do a front end removal or tire removal.. It simply works..

Hanging the bike from overhead ... sure, that works as well as long as the attachment point are not in the way, or attached to something you're trying to remove.

Reinventing the wheel is a fun pastime, if passing time is the goal.. Otherwise, select a tired and working solution and get back to riding.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:34 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree. But I've never liked the idea of jacking from the oil pan. It is a lot of weight resting on a thin, aluminum casting. If you get the load distributed on a 2X4 near the edge of the pan, it's probably fine. I would definitely not do it without the rear stand in place.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:49 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by archaicguy
Right... off with one and back on with another. I wasn't sure what components on the front of the bike were strong enough to hold the load and not get damaged/

By triples do you mean the upper clamp where the key goes is strong enough or strap it lower?
That's a good point. I honestly don't know the answer to that question... although I think if it were my bike I would do it. It's a similar force to what the triples are put through in riding except it's pulling from the top instead of pushing from the bottom... and that's without human weight or wheelie slamming. But my track record isn't perfect for not breaking things

I've also had the whole bike on the oil pan and sat on it and it felt stable. It was on a metal stand with a piece of carpet to protect it. So I would be comfortable with Marquez's way as well.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:02 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by 7moore7
So I would be comfortable with Marquez's way as well.
Thank you for the vote of confidence .. But please don't give me credit for this..
and that was my point,, for the 40 or so years I've been involved in motorcycles, from TZ250's of the 80's I grew up around, to the street bikes of the same year and every bike along the way today.. it's how it has been done successfully.

Im not a "Do it that way cuz the other guy seen it done that way once" believer,, many folks get away with something once.. without breaking stuff, but that does not make it a good idea.

but lifting from the bottom of the engine in addition to supporting the rear on a stand of the wheel in a vice is so common place and done daily..in every shop and paddack across the US.. Im a believer in the procedure as safe, fast and effective.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:09 AM
Superstock

Very well, I shall lift at the oil pan then. Sounds good. Thanks Guys
Old 05-21-2013, 02:23 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RCVTR
I agree. But I've never liked the idea of jacking from the oil pan. It is a lot of weight resting on a thin, aluminum casting. If you get the load distributed on a 2X4 near the edge of the pan, it's probably fine. I would definitely not do it without the rear stand in place.
Am I mistaken that I actually remember reading in one of the service manuals that it actually TELLS you to jack the bike up by the oil pan? I remember because I thought doing such a thing was ridiculous until I read it. I've done it a bunch of times with no problem. I always secure the bike so it's stable and have a thick rubber pad I put between the jack and the pan.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:45 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
A few ways. For one, tilt the whole bike onto a pile of tires or old mattress. Just lay it down like a horse. Do it all the time at the track.

Two, put it on the sidestand and prop a 2x4 uner it on the other side to tripod it on the rear tire, stand and 2x4.

Also the jack under the oil pan use a piece of wood to dissipate force.

If you havent seen these videos, watch them now. They are real gamechangers. I have done it this way 20 times.

Oh yeah, you can put two jackstands under the bottom of the fork legs.

But the real honest anser is. BUY A FRONT STAND. You own a bike and its a VITAL tool. If you use it ONCE it has just payed for itself 5 times over.

Plus you can get a used one for $40 and turn around and sell it for the same $40. So its free, and you didnt drop you bike and incur injury or damage.

Last edited by smokinjoe73; 05-21-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:42 PM
MotoGP

The month long wheelie:
Name:  PC190577.jpg
Views: 4203
Size:  89.7 KB

The front wheel may look like it's touching but it's off the ground... I used that little dolly thing to wheel it around (and ratcheting the straps for the rear wheel).

Pay no attention to the messy garage... I was sharing it and most of the mess and tools were beyond my control...
Old 05-22-2013, 05:34 PM
Superstock

Worked great with the rear stand and 2x4 with a job. Thanks guys