Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

So.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 09:25 PM
Squid

Mrredline05 is on a distinguished road
So.....

does anyone else's taillight stay lit all the time or is it just mine?
Old 05-22-2013, 09:56 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
You kidding?

It's the running light. Every motorcycle made has this.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:05 PM
Squid

Ok... let me clear that up. Does it stay bright all the time, as if the brakes are always being applied somehow. Cause i have no clean different inbetween applying or releasing the brake
Old 05-22-2013, 10:11 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Mrredline05
Ok... let me clear that up. Does it stay bright all the time, as if the brakes are always being applied somehow. Cause i have no clean different inbetween applying or releasing the brake
Check the rear brake light switch adjustment, most likely that would be the first cause. See if it's seats in the right place as well.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:13 PM
Squid

checked it, and disconnected it to see if it would go off, and its still bright. So i wonder if it the front break, but i cant seem to find where the front break adjustment would be.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:25 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Just so you know...

Brake

Break

Got it?
Old 05-22-2013, 10:31 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Mrredline05
... i have no clean different inbetween applying or releasing the brake
Are you sure it's the brake light you are seeing? It couldn't possibly be the running light? What tailight are you using, stock, aftermarket, LED?
Old 05-22-2013, 11:51 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I'd suggest taking a multimeter, and checking the three wires to the tail light... The wiring diagram tells you which one is tail light, brake light, and ground... If you have voltage to both, then you have an issue to fix...
Old 05-23-2013, 05:35 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
The stock front brake light switch is a paddle type mounted in the master cylinder right at the brake lever.

And it has no adjustment.. It's either closed (off) or open (on)
using a multimeter, check the front switch pins.. you should have no continuity when the lever is closed and you should have continuity when the lever is squeezed.

Oh and G/Y (Green / yellow) is brake lights, G (Green) is tail lights.

Last edited by E.Marquez; 05-23-2013 at 05:41 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:47 AM
Squid

yes, i do know the different in brake and break, i just didn't go back and correct myself before i posted it.

Its not the daytime running light, i pulled the fuse for the brakes and it went dimmer, but was still on. So there is a clear difference in daytime light and brake light.

Ill have to run to autozone or something and see if i can get a multimeter and check the front brake.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:03 AM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
Ill have to run to autozone or something and see if i can get a multimeter and check the front brake.
Seems like a good excuse for new tool Very useful one to have as well, you will make good use of that.

The rear switch works of a spring attached to the rear pedal. It connected to the switch that is threaded, so Turn it clockwise (down) to release the pressure and the opposite for for more. You want this set so it's not permanently on and the switch only comes on as you apply the brake. That would be my first port of call and then go onto testing the wiring.

(:-})
Old 05-23-2013, 08:23 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cybercarl
Seems like a good excuse for new tool Very useful one to have as well, you will make good use of that.

The rear switch works of a spring attached to the rear pedal. It connected to the switch that is threaded, so Turn it clockwise (down) to release the pressure and the opposite for for more. You want this set so it's not permanently on and the switch only comes on as you apply the brake. That would be my first port of call and then go onto testing the wiring.

(:-})
+1. Multimeters are awesome. I'd highly recommend a digital one... it is something that you can use in your home, on your motorcycle, cars, small electronics and such so it's worth getting one that is more fun to use.

If you disconnected the rear and it's still "on" then you have some hunting to do.