Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Anomaly Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Superstock

bass4dude is on a distinguished road
Anomaly Starting Problems

Yesterday night/today morning I go out to start the SH and she won't catch.

I installed an H.I.D projector kit with some cool little LEDs around it, and made sure to wire it all in correctly. I'm running it off of the stock circuit right now but I have a relay harness under the seat set up but the charging system is too high and sets off the high voltage circuit in my ballast so I can't run it till I get a secondary regulator for the headlight.
(Just a little details about the electrical work done)

She was sitting for maybe 4 hrs (tops) and ran okay before I parked; went down a bumpy highway and thought maybe there was a connector that got bumped loose, but no such.

Checked carbs, there's gas in the bowls, so I don't think it's a gas problem.

All lights function and the engine spins fine, but I'm not getting even a sputter.

Speedo light doesn't come on and tach doesn't move when starting, sounds like a R/R problem to me (from some searching) but it was replaced about 2k ago (prob less) so for some reason I doubt it was that?

Any input or similar problems with anyone else that could help?
Old 02-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Back Marker

Stixx is on a distinguished road
Check the kill switch. Don't ask me how I know.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:46 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Like Stixx said, with the starter moving the engine, but no happy noise, check the killswitch (and if that don't work, check the sidestand and clutch cut out switches...)

But once you have fixed that problem, you need to adress another... I'd say if the charging system sets off the high voltage circuit in the ballast that's a big friggin clue that you got something wrong... A ballast meant for a car/bike will handle anthing up to 14.5-15V... If the voltage goes above that the R/R is toast, and likely killing of other components like the battery in short order... If you have peak voltage around there, but the ballast still cuts out, it's crap... Go get another one...
Old 02-03-2011, 02:04 PM
Superstock

I checked and cleaned all connections and there were no problems with the kill switch (0 resistance) and same with the sidestand and clutch.

I also checked the resistance on the coils and its the same 0.7. Grounds on coils were good too, but I haven't checked for spark yet, gotta make a quick trip to autozone because my last checker....... is indisposed.

Tweety, to correct what I said, it's an undercurrent problem when starting the engine. The relay system mirrors that of the stock system but it picks up before the battery has gotten back to full charge/amperage after starting so I just need to install a switch relay wire and turn it on after I've started the bike. I had the same problem with the ballasts on my '84 VFF so it's just the cheap ballasts. I'm gonna upgrade to nice Denso ballasts once I get all the kinks worked out.

(edit) the charging system is at 14.6v, I checked that 3 days ago.

So if it's not the spark (assuming the coils are firing correctly since there was no problem), grounds are good, gas is in the bowls, any more ideas?
Old 02-03-2011, 02:26 PM
Superstock

Okay, so I rechecked my values at the coils and I'm kinda a boink here, the secondary coils are reading 0.7, and the primary for #2 was reading 17k, and the front was 0. So would having only 1 coil firing stop the bike from even sputtering at all on the rear cylinder?
Old 02-12-2011, 09:27 PM
Superstock

Replaced coils with stick coils and still no joy.
Both coils read proper resistance but I checked spark against engine and there's nothin' happening.

any directions now?
And yes, I did double check all the switches...

and sorry about all the questions, I'm used to 80's bikes and I don't quite understand all this new fangled stuff
Old 02-13-2011, 09:06 PM
Superstock

edit. I've check the res. through both primary and secondary coils using both the wire connectors and the frame, so I don't think I dropped a ground somewhere, or I wouldn't get a reading there, correct?