Starting

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 08:59 PM
Back Marker

Dave Wicks is on a distinguished road
Starting

Hey Guys

Question..
I have a 2000 Hawk...shimmed needles..bafflectomy..tps adjusted... I'm finding that with the shimmed carbs...very touchy about starting..used to need tons of choke..real cold blooded..but now...if I choke too much or open throttle too much..pretty much instant flood..had to dry both plugs tonight...
Any hints on the starting drill.???? I'm thinking don't touch throttle ..little bit of choke and should be fine...Comments???

Thanks
Dave.............
Old 04-10-2007, 09:10 PM
Superstock

nineighthawk
Mine needs choke only to get the bike started and once it's running immediately shut off the choke or it will foul a plug.

I never have to touch the throttle.. sometimes I turn up the idle manually till it's warm and slow it down once she is warm.

GL
Old 04-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Seņor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
I would say not to use the throttle until it's fired a few times. Maybe add a blip at the end, and then see what different choke positions get you in terms of idle rpm.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:59 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Hell, I have to go full choke for like 30-45 seconds, then back it down to half for like 2 to 3 mins, then either less than a quarter for another 30 sec or so, then off and let idle for 3 to 4 mins....then she runs great...if I skip those steps, she bucks and pisses and backfires,and is just a down right bitch!!

Don't know why I have to do all of that, and it's only the first time I start her for the day...after that even if she sits for an hour or more, there are no issues....
Old 04-11-2007, 06:13 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
First time start on days colder than 65 I'm just like Kickinchicken.... need the choke to keep the bike idling for a minute or so, then after that, i can back it off....

J.