Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

all four intake valve guide seals bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 07:38 AM
Squid

gpzturbo is on a distinguished road
all four intake valve guide seals bad?

Well superhawk fans I scratching my head here. I started investigating why I'm burning oil when I stop aggresivly. I pulled the carbs to see the tops of the intake valves to see which one had oil residue, and they all had significant oil on them. Both spark plugs had oil all over them. I ride my hawk everyday, and I've been living with this problem for awhile now. Bike makes great power and performs well, other than randomly stalling when I start off from a red light. The random stalling i'm chalking up to spark plugs being fowled from the oil thier burning. And when I have to break harder than normal I get a big plume of smoke out the tail pipe. I wouldn't have been worried if I had one valve seal maybe two, but all of them? What would cause this? I've been riding bikes all my life and never had a valve guide seal go bad. Never had a v-twin though always I-4s. My hawk has 30000 miles on it. It's a 2002 and I've had it since about 10000 miles. And those were hard lived 20000 miles. I ride hard and brake hard daily....Anybody got any ideas on what might cause this?
Old 09-01-2008, 07:42 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
First, carbs flood on hard braking on a SH
Is there oil inside the airbox ??
Are you sure it's oil on the valves or soot ??
When was the last valve lash adjustment ??
Are you measuring your oil height bike straight or on the stand (sry got to ask) ??
Are you doing stoppies ??
Old 09-01-2008, 07:47 AM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Are you sure it's seals? Could it be rings letting oil up into the combustion chamber. That might explain the braking thing, the angle of the front cylinder could be letting more oil in under a hard brake.

Also how much is the oil level going down between changings? Are you even sure it's oil being burned, it might just be running rich.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:57 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

I was thinking of the oil splashing trough the timing chain gallery and filling the valve cover, while the engine is running the two pistons go down at the same time pushing a lot of air out the PCV, it could swallow gobs of oil trough the airbox, back in the carbs throats.
Or a simple oil overfill.
Or as you said past the rings and partly spitted back trough the intakes from tight valves.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:42 AM
Squid

Love the quick replies.
I'll try to answere all of the questions: No oil in the airbox. I check the oil when it's standing up not on the side stand. Valve lash was done less than a year ago when I installed ape CCTs. Zero stoppies. I live for the twisties not the tricks. I'm sure I'm not putting in too much oil. I have had to change oil types more than I would like. (fully syn, syn blend, brand, conventional, all 10w40). Oil level does go down inbetween oil changes. I then add a splash of oil when needed. As far as oil vs soot on the tops of valves. I only use chevron, and in the past with prior bikes I've had, my intake valves have always been very clean. I've always attributed that to chevron and occasional techron concentrate treatment. And it looks to me like oil and not soot. Oil smoke vs richness smoke. The smoke is blue white and smells like oil, and not black like fuel. I also thought it might be my rings leaking, but due to the fact it dosn't smoke ever during accleration, which I would think with rings it would.....What about my ape ccts. During installation I was questioning the amount of cam chain tightness. I adjusted and checked a number of times before I was satisfied. Even brought in a friend for his take before I called it good. I never had second thought about it again due to great perfomance of the bike after the installation. Does anybody think too tight of a cam chain could blow valve seals?....I think I got all of your questions aswere. let me know if I missed one.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:51 AM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
I don't think a cam chain would hurt the seals at all. Unless the brackets holding in the cams were loose, which would cause a lot more problems. If you already have the valve covers off just remove the cam chain guide on the top and measure chain slack in between the cams. I can't remember the exact number, but it's in the manual.

It is possible for the seals to be bad, I just can't figure in the hard braking part. Unless your not down shifting, just pulling in the clutch. That could cause a little valve float if the rpm's were high enough when you did it. I'm just guessing though...
Old 09-01-2008, 09:34 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
have you checked compression? might tell if its seals or valves themselves. be unusual but worth checking so you can move on to other possibilities. Do you still have the PAIR system connected? Not sure where you are located, do you have a california model with EVAP and is the crankcase vented properly so you are getting high crankcase pressures?
Old 09-01-2008, 09:59 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

Well pale blue smoke on decel points toward valve seals as you first stated, the vacuum rise and draw oil trough the seals. It should smoke after a long idle then clear up after a bit and on on decel. Oil past rings should not make it to the intakes, will stain everything in the chamber tough, as cybly said, a leakdown test would rule out the rings thing and badly sealing valves.
You pointed that you used many brands of oil, I would check the engine for sludge, clogged drainback holes may cause some problems.
Also is there a possibility that the pistons have kissed the valves from improper adjustment not enough to bend the valves but still enough to cause abnormal wear on the guides/seals. It's unlikely since it would have to happens to both cylinders at the same time, could be resulting from improper cam alingment. A leakdown test would tell also is there are slightly bent valves.

Last edited by gboezio; 09-01-2008 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Squid

I do have the pair system disabled and I'm in northern alabama without a california model....What would indicate engine sludge? how would I check for that? Used oil looks ok during oil changes. And under the valve cover looks ok, no sludge....Leakdown test? Is that the same as a compression check? That was the next thing I was going to do, if I didn't see oil on the valves....I ruled out improper cam alingment due to no loss in performance. If anything the hawk has improved over time.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:30 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
leak down is more involved than compression test (actually measure rate of loss of compression) and give more info, but compression is a good first start. Neither will tell about the seals but will about the valves or rings and possible carbon build up on the piston which could raise the compression.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:51 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

Well, if you have access to an air compressor you could try to build your own leakdown tester, you could get there for 40 $
Here's the link of one of my writups on the subject
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=680940
As for the reference hole a .035 wire welder tip would work just fine
The smaller the reference hole the more sensitive the tester will be, you could even use a .025
I would check the sludge last but you could pop the rear valve cover to have a look in there (it's the easy one)

Last edited by gboezio; 09-01-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Make sure your crankcase breather is not plugged. Also, are you checking oil with the bike running or off? I gotta ask. Sorry if that seems a little simplistic, but I've seen some strange stuff. I highly doubt the seals are bad. That would be highly unusual.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:08 AM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
I've obviously been searching for an answer to this question, but I'm confused.

I'm getting a puff of light blue smoke out the exhaust after revving throttle past 4-5K RPM (when I let off throttle). It only lasts a second, then goes away. I don't see the smoke if I just rev to around 3K and let off. No visible smoke any other time, which is what's making me think it's the seals. I am burning a little oil, but not very much (maybe 1/2 liter in 1000 miles at most). Other than this, the bike seems to be running fine.

My oil level is correct. I had the bike on the rear stand in neutral when I noticed the smoke (I just put it to bed for the winter, so not riding it at the moment). I'm not sure how long it's been doing this since I wouldn't normally be behind my bike. I have noticed that I smell like exhaust after a ride, but that was more likely due to a leak in my exhaust header that I just fixed.

So is it the valve seals causing the smoke, or could it be something else? And is this something I should be worried about, or just let it go as long as it doesn't get worse?
Old 11-07-2010, 09:27 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
On carbureted engines you will get a rich mixture on deceleration due to increased intake manifold vacuum. Closing the throttle while piston speed is high causes the vacuum to bump up to as high as 25 inches of mercury. So what you may be seeing is actually black smoke from the decel rich mixture.

My VTR uses about the same amount of oil as yours, and has since it was new. I wouldn't worry about that.