Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Aftermarket oil cooler fitment?

Old 02-23-2010, 07:22 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Aftermarket oil cooler fitment?

As I continue planning my forthcoming rebuild with high-comp JE pistons, I am trying to look ahead and work out any potential problems that may arise. One issue that concerns me a bit is that of cooling the mill properly once it gets the new jugs (and resulting higher output and heat production). While the idea of adding a center-mount rad is interesting, it is also surely complex and expensive. I am, therefore, looking at using the oil to act as more of a cooling agent as well. I am currently running a larger oil cooler from an EX400 ATV (same as RC51 unit) but would like to possibly upgrade further come rebuild time. So, with all this in mind, is anyone aware if aftermarket oil cooler kits (the kind that use adaptors where the oil filter mounts) can be used on the VTR. Have a look at the link below as an example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oil-C...Q5fAccessories

Here is an example of just the adaptor (choose any cooler to fit):
http://cgi.ebay.com/M20-P1-5-OIL-COO...item2eab475330

My hoped-for scenario would be to eliminate the existing cooler set-up completely and replace it with such a cooler (more area for better cooling). Additional (minor) benefits would be possible (slight) weight reduction (eliminate long stock lnes) as well as drop the cg slightly (new rad would be positioned just above filter instead of up near the steering head, also exposing to better airflow and having less of a warming effet to incoming air going into the airbox).

Your thoughts?

cheers

Last edited by mikstr; 02-23-2010 at 07:26 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:36 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
I think the RC51 cooler should be adequate. One thing that is often overlooked is the amount of heat that radiates to the oil from the front exhaust header. Some header wrap there and next to the rear shock will help keep those items cool.

I never had cooling problems with my engine with the stock radiators. The cooling fan only came on when it was really hot out and I was stopped in traffic, which wasn't very often. Air scoops to help pressurize the front side of the radiators seem like a good idea and they have been shown to drop RC51 temps substantially at speed. Rick has a set and will likely chime in.

If you go with a larger oil cooler, be sure to drop the nose, by taking the fork top caps off and check clearance.

Last edited by RCVTR; 02-23-2010 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:40 AM
MotoGP

I used exhaust wrap on my stock header for a few years for this very reason. I have not, however, since buying my Akra system (although made from stainless, it is quite a bit thinner and I don`t want to risk damaging it with wrapping). I am looking at getting it ceramic coated (either this spring or at re-build time) to take care of radiant heat issue as I think the VTR is particularly prone to the sump getting heated by the headers.

Thanks for the input though Randy as your bike had a state of tune that was very close to what mine will be.

cheers
Old 02-23-2010, 08:25 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by mikstr
I used exhaust wrap on my stock header for a few years for this very reason. I have not, however, since buying my Akra system (although made from stainless, it is quite a bit thinner and I don`t want to risk damaging it with wrapping).
My Moriwaki system is thin-walled as well. For that reason, I only wrapped the sections next to the shock and sump and left the rest exposed for air cooling.

Last edited by RCVTR; 02-23-2010 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:38 AM
MotoGP

I have read in a few places that heat wrapping tends to cause problems over time due to heat retention (especially with titanium or thin walled stainless, less of an issue with the stock set-up). Considering the cost of the Akra full system, I certainly don`t want to ruin it. I will either be painting the exhaust with VHT paint this spring or get it ceramic coated, which will contain the heat and protect the exhaust without damaging it. As I now have a remote reservoir on my rear shock (mounted under the sub-frame where it gets cooling air), I am slightly less concerned with the heat getting to the shock (will put up with it until ceramic time anyhow).

cheers
Old 02-23-2010, 09:19 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
If you have a few extra Canadian nickels laying around the scoops work great!
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket oil cooler fitment?-05-15-09-air-scoops.jpg  
Old 02-24-2010, 04:20 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by FL02SupaHawk996
If you have a few extra Canadian nickels laying around the scoops work great!

They are nice. I just find he is asking a whole lot of money for them....