Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Adjusting Fuel/Air mixture

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 12:31 PM
Super Byrd
Superstock

Byrdman is on a distinguished road
Adjusting Fuel/Air mixture

I need to adjust my mixture screw and was wondering what ya'll have found to be the best way and/or tool. I have one that is made to adjust ones on cars, but the flex is to long.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:33 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
Motion Pro makes two kinds of mixture screw adjustment tools. The expensive 90 degree gear drive one has a "D" adapter for the Honda mixture screw. Some people remove the mixture screws, dremel a slot in them and use the cheaper Motion Pro cable drive adjustment tool. A member of this site posted plans for a homemade tool that some have had success with. I wasn't able to find the posting in the course of a quick search. Factory Pro provides an adjustment tool with their jet kit. Other people take it to a shop. I didn't find the cheaper Motion Pro tool to be very precise. It's just a cable drive, the mixture screws are a bit tight and there's a fair bit of flex in the cable. I had difficulty using the expensive Motion Pro tool on the front carb. The clamp on the front carb boot interfered with access. I was having trouble getting jetting right so I took the VTR to a shop with an dynomometer and an exhaust gas analyzer. The shop didn't do the work but gave me some guidance about which way I should go with jetting. I adjusted the mixture screws with the Factory Pro tool when I had the carbs off the bike. I ended up with 1.5 turns out with 48 pilot jets. YMMV. It was close enough, I was po'd after fiddling with it and I wanted to ride.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:15 PM
Super Byrd
Superstock

http://www.pitposse.com/po90de14inhe.html

were you talking about this one. I thought about getting, but not if you had trouble.

Last edited by Byrdman; 04-25-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:21 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
Byrdman, that's the one I'm talking about. Another member of this forum just rotated the clamp that was interfering with the adjuster. I guess the tool could be ground for clearance as an alternative. It's a good product. Maybe I'll try it again.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:34 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
IIRC, the Motion Pro tool is too big to fit in the small space allowed. The only tool I've found is the stock Honda tool. The little bitch costs $125. That's too much for me, especially for a "one time use" tool. It's more economically feasable to speak to your service manager at the dealer, ask if they have the tool, and bring over a dozen or so donuts on Friday morning in exchange to use the tool for 10 minutes. They guys at the shop sure appreciate it!
Old 04-29-2009, 08:38 AM
Super Byrd
Superstock

Thanks greg for the info. I'll see what I can do.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:02 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
i have the motion pro tool and it works ... with a little help.

the MP tool comes with 5 bits including the D style bit, which doesn't fit well.
the Factory bit that comes with the jet kit is a LOT better. i decided when i did a cleaning tear down to just slot the A/F so now i just use the flat blade bit in the tool.

i adjust the rear from the left side and the front from the right.

tim
Old 04-29-2009, 03:29 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
I bought the cable driven MP carb tool eons ago from JCW. When I got my VTR, I cut the end of the FP "D-bit", ground a notch in the opposite end and epoxied it onto the flat blade on the MP tool. Works like a charm and both carbs can be adjusted with the tank on from the right side. Total cost $20.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Super Byrd
Superstock

would this one work?

http://www.pitposse.com/mopropiscadt.html
Old 05-05-2009, 06:29 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Byrdman
thats the tool I grafted on the D-bit onto; works just fine