Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Glazed Rotor what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 01:03 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
Glazed Rotor what to do?

Hi all, so on my dad's cb750 he has some brake pad that has glazed itself on to his rotor, which is now causing brake grab at slow speeds. Kinda producing an on the brakes off the brakes type feeling. He probably needs to replace the pads, but is there any way to remove the glazing off the rotors? Anyone have any tips for that. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
I would clean the rotor with some steel wool and take the glaze off the pads with emery cloth.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:24 PM
SuperBike

ok I will let him know to use steel wool. The reason it glazed is because it is only contacting about a half inch of the pad so it was too much force for the surface area. Think he should replace the pads?
Old 05-05-2009, 03:34 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Yeah, probably a good idea to replace the pads. Is the rotor warped at all? There's no cure for that cause motorcycle rotor material is harder than the iron used for cars. I think they are stainless steel.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:42 PM
SuperBike

there wasn't much if any heat marks, just the pad material being built up enough to feel. It looks like a greese smudge on the rotor but is actually pad residue, very strange if you ask me.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
You can try to renew the surface of the pads by grinding off the 1\16" surface of the pads with an angle grinder, but for safety's sake, I'd say just get new pads.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:30 PM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Circuit_Burner is on a distinguished road
That piston is seizing inside the bore of the caliper.
You will need to order a packing kit for that caliper from honda or aftermarket(good luck) and rebuild the caliper.
All those old single piston calipers do this when they get old and crusty. To test theory, when its binding while you try to roll the thing, take a rubber mallet or small hammer and whack the outside of the caliper toward the brake rotor. Bingo, the bike rolls good until you grab some brake again.

Rebuilding isnt too hard, but you need the piston seals and any other o-rings as these ancient rubber parts usually destruct upon cleaning or servicing. Hone or just steel wool (2000 grit paper) the inside of the piston bore nicely and evenly to clean it up. Do the same on the piston surfaces that arent clean. If theres bad scoring on the parts, may need to replace some metal parts.