Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

strategies for adjusting idle mixture screws with carbs on bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
strategies for adjusting idle mixture screws with carbs on bike

title says it all....those of you who adjust them with it carbs on the bike, what tools do you use?

they're slotted on my bike (thanks speedkelly) but I don't have any screw driver or tool I can fit in there with my hand.

adjusting them off the bike is unacceptably slow/inaccurate...

edit: google is my friend? found that motionpro screw driver...going to be useful for other crap I do on european cars as well so I went ahead and ordered one

Last edited by blamecanada; 06-05-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:50 PM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
Pixe's? Little Irish leprechaun folks. Very small childern (kind of like Nike slave labor?)

Idea's ???
Attach a slotted screwdriver bit to a thimble place on pinkie and turn??

Good luck! no really?
Old 06-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
You should like the MotionPro tool, I am happy with mine. I had another bike (inline 4) so it was very useful.

The tool will also help to make carb synch adjustments. It includes a 1/4 square drive socket adapter. Plug in a 7mm? socket and it works quite well for the synch screw.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:49 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
Yeah that Motion Pro tool is nice! I picked one up awhile back. I took the detent out of it as it kind of hampered the feel. The carb heater hoses are kind of in the way so I thought about getting rid of them next time I take the carbs off to make it easier to get to the screws. That kit also comes with the D shaped adaptor so you do'nt have to slot your screws.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:53 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
Do you have a link to the tool you bought?
Old 06-05-2012, 06:45 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Here is the only one that I think will work on our crazy carb dimensions. BUT you still gotta slot the screw with a dremmel fiirst.....Amazon.com: Motion Pro Pilot Screw Adjusting Tool 08-0119: Automotive

Before buying it I made this monstrosity from 1/4 sockets, a closed wrench, hose clamps and universal joints. It didnt quite work......But brilliant none the less
Attached Thumbnails strategies for adjusting idle mixture screws with carbs on bike-tool-004.jpg   strategies for adjusting idle mixture screws with carbs on bike-tool-002.jpg  
Old 06-06-2012, 02:30 AM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

The tool I have looks like this: Motion Pro 90 Degree 1/4" Hex Driver

When first purchased, the D shaped attachment was too fat and would not fit into the pilot screw bore. Some time spent with the bit in a drill, clamped on a vise (used like a lathe) and an angle grinder made the tool perform as it should.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:15 AM
Back Marker

VTRumble is an unknown quantity at this point
I made one a few years ago using brake tubing. I put a 90 deg. bend in it, made a 1" piece with a d shaped crimp to fit the pilot. Then put a piece of speedometer cable through the bent tubing, and crimped the small piece on the end, then crimped another short piece on the other end to use as a handle. Worked great, I actually have to dig it out, since I just ditched the k&n and re-jetted. Total cost, about $5.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:07 AM
MotoGP

Wow, beerhunter, for the $22 one I was willing to slot the screws (5 min job) but for $70 I woud've been very mad to have to do makeshift machine shop work to make it work.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:57 AM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Wow, beerhunter, for the $22 one I was willing to slot the screws (5 min job) but for $70 I woud've been very mad to have to do makeshift machine shop work to make it work.
I was not too happy about it either, but id does work very well now and is very useful for many other applications as well. In addition to the 5 included bits, you also can attach ANY 1/4 inch driver bit to the tool. I loves my tools.

The price is cheaper now than when I made the purchase years ago. I think I paid $100 for it back then.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:50 AM
MotoGP

Yeah I have sort of a cheapness gene. I always believe I can do it cheaper (and better). I searched for a couple days on that tool.

Even with 5 bikes I didnt figure I would use it often enuff and have only had bad experience with those d-shaped screws. If it was a viable drive system you would see it everywhere. Its actually a tamper resistant screw.

I got one hawk perfect but still tinkering with the other. Its 2.5 turns out right?
Old 06-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

I think 2.5 turns is a good starting point. I honestly do not know where mine are set since I tweak them until it runs perfectly. Pretty sure that the front is set a little leaner than the rear.