Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

99 sprhawk Only one cyclinder running other wont even manual crank around help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 02:35 PM
Squid

Faithful_Lie is on a distinguished road
99 sprhawk Only one cyclinder running other wont even manual crank around help please

I am new to the forums. I would like to start off by telling you I am no mechanic. Ive changed my own oil, and flushed my fluids but other then that I don't know much. Quick learner and don't have the money to pay 3 grand they wanted to fix my 99 honda superhawk with around 48,000 miles.

Start from the beginning took the bike out for a ride about a year ago got to a red light the bike stalled, i cranked it back up and noticed it sounded very bad. Super loud clanking every other half a second or second. Didn't have as much power as before road it home very slow about a mile and half down the road. The bike sounded like it was gonna blow up!

Took it to a mechanic they said one of the cylinders wouldn't manual crank over? They assumed something broke off into the cylinder and was preventing the piston from moving. Wanted 3 grand because of all the labor to take apart the whole engine and put it back together.

Would love to try to fix the bike my self! If i mess up along the way and it can't be fixed I am at no loss as it does not already run. Would love to be able to fix it but if i cannot I will probably just part it out any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Also I downloaded this VTR1000F Honda Service Manual OCR.pdf is this the right service manual for a 1999 honda superhawk?
Old 02-03-2015, 03:17 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
One possibility: OEM auto CCT let go, timing jumped, piston hit valves & one broke off. If so, you've got a lot of damage on your hands. Do you have access to any type of inspection camera so you can look through the spark plug hole to see what's going on in the bad cylinder?
Old 02-03-2015, 03:24 PM
Squid

No access to a inspection camera :/. Plan is to take the whole thing apart assuming I have a lot of stuff that is going to be need replacing.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:29 PM
Squid

If anyone has any questions please ask! I need any help I can get! I am about to start taking my bike apart piece by piece and I don't really know what I am doing I just have a service manual and youtube!!!!
Old 02-04-2015, 09:03 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Faithful_Lie
If anyone has any questions please ask! I need any help I can get! I am about to start taking my bike apart piece by piece and I don't really know what I am doing I just have a service manual and youtube!!!!
I say go for it. Like you said you have nothing to lose. If you are methodical, organized and educate yourself you don't have to be Smoky Yunick to do a project like this. That said there are a couple of primary requirements that have to be in place before attempting a project like this. First and most important is a secure, enclosed place to work on the bike and second the tools to do the work. After that it's going to be up to your brain power and your ambition.
As recommended you need to look inside the suspect cylinder first. You might be able to rent a camera. Milwaukee makes one that is sold at Home Depot. Maybe an HD that has a rental store attached has one for rent.
Starting from where you are and where you want to go is going to flex your ingenuity.
My $.02
Old 02-04-2015, 09:23 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Sounds bad! Esp after you continued riding it after what sounds like CCT failure where valves have met the top of the piston after timing cam chain has skipped off the cam sprockets. Usually its the front CCT that goes so start from there.

As mentioned poke one of these down the spark plug hole > Flexible Snake Scope Camera | Maplin to see the extent of the damage. Usually new valves and guides are needed to rectify the damage / or a second-hand head transplanted on - that's if your lucky. If is more damaged (bores/ piston) then a replacement engine will be on the cards.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:54 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
From my reading, it seems pretty common for jumped timing with a failed CCT to bend valves without piston damage, but if something broke and is bouncing around in there, then, what Wicky said.

If the thing won't manually crank over, that's not good I'm afraid, but you've nothing to lose (but time) by pulling the offending head if that's what it takes to inspect and determine the extent of the damage.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:03 AM
Not Realy A Squid
Squid

waltr is on a distinguished road
"Took it to a mechanic they said one of the cylinders wouldn't manual crank over?" I would find a different mechanic. They share a crank so one can not turn without the other.

Don't start by taking the whole thing apart. Find out what is wrong first. CCT failure has already been mentioned and that is the most likely. Start by pulling both valve covers and checking for timing chain slack. If it seems okay and the crank will turn in either direction then pull both plugs and get a small wooden dowel and put a piece in each plug hole (make the long enough that there is plenty sticking out). Now while watching the dowels rotate the crank back and forth. Be sure both dowels move up and down at the same rate. Do not try to rotate all the way around. You are just verifying that the pistons are still attached to the crankshaft. If one does not move evenly or only one way stop and return to the forum to place your part out add in the classifieds. That means you are screwed and a rod is broken.

If that checks out then pull the heads starting with the front one. You should be able to fix it without tearing it down any further. If not it is probably not worth it.

See Big_Jim59's thread on his engine adventure.

Walt
Old 02-08-2015, 02:26 PM
Squid

Thanks everyone for the advice! Gonna be trying to get some work done on it today. Will probably have some questions later.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:38 PM
Superstock

Big_Jim59 is on a distinguished road
My advice is to find a friend with a little experience in this area.