Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

95 VFR Clipon's

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 06:44 AM
Back Marker

StoneJrW is on a distinguished road
95 VFR Clipon's

I recently got a pair of 95 VFR Clipons and have been searching/reading threads involving installation. I have a question. Do I need to replace my stock lines with longer ones. Ive found some say you need to and some say you dont. Which is right?
Old 04-14-2008, 08:11 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by StoneJrW
I recently got a pair of 95 VFR Clipons and have been searching/reading threads involving installation. I have a question. Do I need to replace my stock lines with longer ones. Ive found some say you need to and some say you dont. Which is right?
Stone, I'd take the opportunity to put on some braided lines if it were me bro. I have braided lines now with stocker brakes and they are strong!

Rick C.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:10 AM
Back Marker

Besucher98
I agree. You may be able to get away without but the fit may end up being tight without and re-routing. I changed to braided afterI already changed becuase I experience restricted movement in stock trim. After re-routing it was OK but I still wanted to change for my own piece of mind.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:21 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
It should only take a matter of minutes to find out. I all ready had SS lines too so I can't say for sure if the stockers are fine.

If it's very close you can look at re-routing the line or removing any tie down points that can restrict free play. Another thing I've done on other kinds of bar mods is to change the cable route at the master cylinder to a more downwards path. On one particular setup, I even ground off the m/c tab to get the best angle but that's something you shouldn't have to do on this mod; just pointing out there is more than one way to skin a cat.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:59 AM
Back Marker

StoneJrW is on a distinguished road
OK Thanks. I'll Do the braided line upgrade. Searching it looks to be many choices. What type do you guys have. Length? Are there supposed to be caps on the bleeders? I dont have any. My fluids are DARK!!!!!!!
Old 04-14-2008, 08:01 PM
Deus vult!
Back Marker

Mr Toad is on a distinguished road
I just completed the VFR bar mod and with stock lines I had to unbolt the square brake line junction box from the lower triple and adjust the two throttle cable guides. With that done there are no clearence issues turning the bars lock-to-lock. Good luck.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:51 PM
Superstock

102dals is an unknown quantity at this point
I concur with Mr Toad....No need to change brakelines, just unbolt the junction box. I noticed a slight difference with Kevlar lines, but not enough to spend full price (I got mine on Ebay really cheap).
BTW, 94-96 VFR bars are the best ones for the $$...did you get end weights with them (stockers won't fit)? Solid aluminum & oh so pretty. Honda should've put them on to begin with.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:25 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by StoneJrW
OK Thanks. I'll Do the braided line upgrade. Searching it looks to be many choices. What type do you guys have. Length? Are there supposed to be caps on the bleeders? I dont have any. My fluids are DARK!!!!!!!
Bleed those brakes and clean out reservoir if needed and refill system with new fluid....you'll notice the difference