Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

SuperHawk Shuts Down Sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 04:58 PM
Superstock

RoofCleanPhenom is an unknown quantity at this point
SuperHawk Shuts Down Sometimes

Right, I'm probably an idiot for asking, but I just found this great site and was hoping to find some suggestions, or maybe some insight on just WTF is going on here...

I just bought a '98 SuperHawk from a good friend of mine, it has 15k miles and seems to be in great shape. It was dropped a couple times (2, I think) a few years back. I noticed the front signals are gone, so I'm replacing them, and I noticed some fairing damage, which I'm also taking care of. Nothing cosmetically horrible, but enough to make me want to fix it

One problem I can't seem to figure out:
While riding, my bike just shut itself off. It's NEVER done this at high speed, but once at 20mph, and once at about 15 mph, it just shut down. It did NOT stall, and it indeed started right back up. It also did it three times right as I was coming to a stop (but I never killed the engine).

Could this maybe be a fuel system problem? I'm thinking maybe clogged fuel lines?

I thought to be creatively technical, possibly the kickstand switch somehow was being affected by a loose spring or something, but as I looked into it, it doesn't seem to be the case.

It makes a hard to describe "click" before it does it, and if I rev when I hear the click, it won't shut down.

I don't know too much about the mechanics or electrical on bikes, I would sure appreciate any help anyone may be able to offer.

Thanks,
~Mike
Old 04-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Back Marker

synaptik is on a distinguished road
has it sat for a while?
Old 04-11-2008, 05:48 PM
Superstock

LOL syn...I can see you know your stuff!!

Sure has. I paid it off, over a period of about 6 mos. Under MY request, and him being a great friend, he didn't ride it at all while I paid. Also, it sat for appx. 3 mos. before I even started paying on it.

Any ideas?

I had the oil changed today, and the brake fluids & coolants were flushed also while at the shop. Other than the wierd shutting down, I haven't had any problems with it.. Other than the freakin' gas light didn't go on and I ran out today. But that's my own fault. My guess is for the same reason the signals aren't there (just wires), and the temp guage doesn't light up, the gas light didn't come on

Last edited by RoofCleanPhenom; 04-11-2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:04 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Mine does it too, just depends on the temperature outside. I've heard people complain about this before. I think my bike is doing it because it's running rich, but I could be wrong.

It's just a VTR quirk. I'm sure people know more than me, but I've just learned to deal with it.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:10 PM
Back Marker

synaptik is on a distinguished road
well i learned a thing or 2 when i had to clean my carbs last weekend :-)

mine was acting like a clogged fuel filter and turned out to be some water in the carb float bowels .....

the gas light is seperate from the one on the temp gauge (at least it is on my 01)
the temp gauge has a bulb underneath it (i just replaced mine) and the fuel light has a line that connects at the back of the fuel tank under the seat it may just be disconnected
Old 04-11-2008, 09:26 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Mike,

Does it stall when slowing with the clutch pulled in? If so then it's normal for the VTR - something about the way the ECU is programmed. Basically the answer is don't coast to a stop. Always have the bike in a gear until you are just about stopped, THEN pull in the clutch. Raising the idle speed will help some but will not completely alleviate the problem.

Here I am going on like I know exactly what the problem is.... So does it only do it with the clutch pulled in and coasting?
Old 04-12-2008, 01:07 AM
1998 SuperHawk
Squid

xDayan is on a distinguished road
It happeneds too me. Under 30 with under 60 Temp with clutch pulled in. Its normal I think (I hope :P)
Old 04-12-2008, 04:29 AM
Superstock

It does it sometimes when the clutch isn't pulled too, but yes, I don't think it's ever actually done it while the bike's engaged or in neutral.

I had a good stern talk with my bike last night. I was like "listen here, you..." lol
I've heard of it happening before with other Hawks, but was hoping there wasn't anything drastically wrong going on. In this case, since the bike seems to respond well to throttle (ahem...VERY well) & the engine braking is strong, I couldn't really see it being something "huge".
Syn-
Thanks! I'll get on the bulb today, hopefully it will fix the situation. I'm putting the carbon fiber front signals on Sunday, and being up close and personal with the wiring might tell me if it's anything other than the bulb.
You guys are great, thanks so much for the input, and PLEASE, anyone feel free to post in this thread if this problem is on your VTR also, because I've learned alot from the posts here, and it's always helpful to have suggestions on how to improve my bike's attitude.

Thanks everyone, much appreciated!!

~Mike
Old 04-12-2008, 06:46 AM
Back Marker

Hammer7205 is on a distinguished road
Pilot jets on carbs??? If she's been setting for awhile, I assume you've cleaned your carbs and gotten some fresh gas into that girl, right??? Years ago, I had a '92 VFR that kept cutting out, anywhere over 55 MPH - Dealer had the bike for over 3 weeks trying to figure out the problem. Finally, we found a wire in the harness running down the frame w/ some insulation gone. Apparently when the bike started vibrating, the bare wire would arch out on the frame, shorting the bike's ignition system. Not saying that you're having a problem like that, but just illustrating the crazy sh_t that can sometimes go on w/ these bikes. I'd look in to the carbs. I think alot of these guys will tell you that the carbs are a little finicky on these Hawks. Good luck..
Old 04-12-2008, 09:33 AM
KindredGhost
Back Marker

KindredGhost is on a distinguished road
yeah, that happens to me to... engine shuts off with the clutch pulled in usually between 15 and 40. My bike starts right back up though without any hesitiation. It's happened to me maybe, 4 or 5 times. Slightly annoying, but it hasn't put my life in danger... yet...

KG
Old 04-12-2008, 09:03 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
it's to do with trans oiling

it does not oil the trans unless the motor is engaged - i read it somewhere but can't remember where
Old 04-13-2008, 09:21 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Not true. The tranny is splash oiled. There are no pressurized oil ports that go to the tranny.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:30 PM
One Wheel Wonder
Squid

speedhawk is on a distinguished road
well, i bought my bike last may and put 8 - 10 thousand miles on it, ( it has 22,000 now ) and that has never happened to me at all. ( then again, i am broke down as of this year )
Old 04-14-2008, 11:56 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Mine doesn't do it either, but enough people do have the issue that it is real. I can pull my clutch in at any time and any speed and it idles just fine without stalling. (unless it is cold and I pushed the choke in too early) Mine is a 2000 if that makes any difference.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:43 PM
Squid

BenjaminVFR750 is on a distinguished road
PoP PoP quit

This happens to mine also, I used to ride my buds' VLX 600 Shadow like everywhere around town for commuting while he was in Iraq. This was a brand new bike and it did it all the time when slowing or under 20 or so.

When I got my hawk I noticed it doing it to. I never really looked into it but manage to deal. I figured since a new honda does it the 02 probly does it sometimes too.

Reving or a quick blip of the throttle usually helps me
Old 04-14-2008, 02:00 PM
Superstock

Ditto Ben, I noticed that a rev will keep it from stalling.
LOL----BUT, knowing the inner-beast of the VTR, I found that revving it up and even slowly letting out the clutch throws my front end in the air (YES!!!!)

I've been able to identify the "click" when I hear it, and it allows me to keep the bike from shutting down. I sure am glad to see this happens with the VTR's, I'm so in love with my new bike that I probably wouldn't get rid of it even if it WAS something specific to my bike..
Although, now that I'm convinced the SuperHawk 996 was practically built for me I was considering lookin' into getting a newer model. There's no way I'd find the deal I found with the '98, nor will I find someone who would let me make payments. But with only 15, going on 16k miles, I know I have tons and tons and tons of life in this one. Frankly, if my new VTR was a woman, I'd figure out a way to put a ring on her left handle grip and find a way to make love to it's Two Bros. exhaust system

KG:
I've also found between about 15mph or so and around 25mph or so is when it likes to show off (by showing off, I mean shut itself down, so people look when it's restarted. Yea, she's such a looker lol).

Hammer:
Yes, I put a potent carb cleaner into my fuel and ran a full tank. Should I repeat the process? Is it not enough? I'm not sure if I should have my mechanic take them off and clean them. What do you think?
Also, anything else I should look into after the bike's been sitting for 2/3 of a year? I am going to polish the forks because it's got some very small rust spots (don't want them to end up busting my fork seals). I'm going to shine up everything I can, because a bike this awesome (like ANY VTR ) deserves to look top-notch.

I'm not a mechanic, but I have a great one. Any ideas that I should put into action, I'll jot down immediately and give the list to my bike-guy. Thanks again, I'm so happy I found this place!! I was getting worried, I thought I was the ONLY guy COMPLETELY in love with the SuperHawk!! lol

~Mike
Old 04-14-2008, 10:57 PM
Squid

Shortlived99 is on a distinguished road
I just got a '98. Ran for 3 days never did it. Soon as I installed a blinker regulartor it started happening. Mainly just at idle.

But, my old cbr used to do it alot, the vibration at idle would make wires touch on my front blinkers. Im gonna replace all my blinker wiring (none of it is stock and all nasty) cause it fixed it on my f3.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:48 AM
One Wheel Wonder
Squid

speedhawk is on a distinguished road
i say my 98 has never stalled like that... im also used to giving a slight twist to the throttle when i come to a stop light... those d&d's just sound so good!!!
Old 04-15-2008, 09:35 AM
Squid

whipit
the "click" is probably a little backfire through one of the carbs, muffled by the airbox, air filter, tank, etc.

You guys would probably benefit from 48 pilot jets, especially if you are running pipes with stock jetting.

I have run stock jetting and a jet kit with pipes, the bike seems fine either way at larger throttle openings when it is fueled more by the main jet. That is to say I dont think they need a lot more fuel on top...but they are cranky, slow to warm up, harder to start, etc with the stock 45 pilots.

I would not even bother with a jet kit if I were just messing around with a superhawk that had just pipes, I would just put 48 pilots in and make sure everything is clean and flowing properly.

that should stop the "flame out" (cough and stall) from happening
Old 04-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
Same here. Always done it on occasion. You get used to the bike and learn how to keep it from flaming out, but everry once in a while....

I'm just quick to hit the starter button and it fires back up. That's the price you pay for riding a big carburated v-twin.