Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

1998 with backfire issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a real pain in the posterior. You seem to have a plausible theory to go on.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:09 PM
been there crashed that
Squid
Squid

new2thehawk is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a real pain in the posterior. You seem to have a plausible theory to go on.
its like CSI follow the evidence,

it is always more difficult to trace back the work/thought pattern of someone whom you don't know.

while it is disappointing to me that I picked up a lemon, it is very satisfying to be able to trouble shoot it down to the root problem, repair and ride again.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:14 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by new2thehawk
.....it is always more difficult to trace back the work/thought pattern of someone whom you don't know......
Have you tried to figure out women?
Old 10-06-2010, 07:19 PM
Squid

trident00 is on a distinguished road
I know you obviously have a ton of issues with your engine/bike etc. But i Just cant help thinking that alot of what you said sounds like the issue I had with my bike recently. I was getting alot of backfiring etc. It was mainly in the low and mid range. I had a heavily carboned front plug. What I ultimately found was that the slow jet in the front carb was quite a bit plugged. The bike ran better with a bit of choke etc, but just overall ran like crap.

I have owned this bike for like 6+yrs and put maybee 1k miles on it. I started it up regularly etc., but with what I was going through in life, the bike was fairly much ignored. I just recently got back into the bike, and it didnt take me too long to decide that it was a carb issue. I pulled the carbs, and pulled both low speed jets. Looking at them into the light showed the problem in no uncertain terms. I sprayed the jets with carb cleaner, soaked them, and then hit them with high pressure air, and it didnt do squat. I finally reamed it out with some very fine copper wire, which did the trick. After finishing cleaning it up, and installing te jets, the bike ran like a raped ape. I just dont think these carbs like to sit idle for any length of time. these are some of the biggest carbs ever put on a production bike. Look at your low speed jets just for kicks and giggles.

Cheers, Walt
Old 10-06-2010, 07:50 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RWhisen
That is an impossible task.

new2theHawk,
When you get it back together and running right, you will love this bike.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:32 PM
been there crashed that
Squid
Squid

new2thehawk is on a distinguished road
Cool

no comment lol

Look at your low speed jets just for kicks and giggles.
Hey Walt thanks for the insight, i too thought it may have been the carbs so I tore them down to nothing and soaked them, cleaned out completely just as you did with the small wire to ream out the slo jet. all back together and the problem persisted (like my wife) see above comment lol.

I have a second hobby that will for this weekend take me away from the bike, however tonight I will be ordering all the needed parts depending on what I find here, someone offered a complete set of heads with valves that would save me a ton of time so i have to check into that, then new cam chains and gaskets, ape cct's and a few misc items like the superbike bar setup i can sneak that in under the wifes radar while i am ordering and buying parts!!

hope to be able to get it back together next week

thanks again everyone for the help!!!

Last edited by new2thehawk; 10-07-2010 at 03:42 PM.