Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Track Suit problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 11:32 AM
Back Marker

rooster is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Track Suit problems

I am in the market for a leather one piece track suit. The problem is I cant seem to find one that fits my size. I am 6'2", 210lbs, wear a 48 to 50 in a jacket and a 34" waist in pants. The problem is if the suit fit in the shoulders it is way too big in the waist (42"). Does anybody know of brands that have a more athletic cut to their suits? PS Joe Rocket and Alpinestars will not let you mix and match their 2 piece suits between jacket and pants.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:17 PM
Back Marker

cscrawford is on a distinguished road
I just spent the morning at one of the largest motorcycle leather dealers in the country, looking at two piece setups. I walked in pretty much decided on a Vanson custom fit jacket for similar fit-issue reasons, but after trying on, feeling leather etc., I gravitated toward the RS Taichi jackets even before I talked with anyone. (they also carried Dainese, Cortech, Firstgear, Joe Rocket, Vanson and others). I was told that RS Taichi (Japanese) WILL do custom sizing, but ONLY in the suits. So I was out of luck, but you may not be. I was also told that they seem to "get it right" on sizing, where with other companies the final fit is often wrong relative to what was ordered. Many unhappy customers with one of the big names on custom orders.

IF I were buying a suit, based on my research this morning I'd look hard at the RS Taichi. That being said, I think the big issues/negatives will be:
a) small dealer network in the states...few places to try on
b) $$$/bank/coinage. I think I was told they only do custom on the $1400 suits, and then a couple bills more to make it custom.

Disclaimer: I do not own a track suit! I'm sure some of the track guys can steer you to the right skins, I just had my perception changed this morning after trying on several jackets.
Hope that helps.
-Chris
Old 05-26-2007, 01:52 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
You could always go for a custom suit from Kushitani, Syed, Vanson, or ZLeathers (to name only a handful). I have a custom suit from Z, and it rocks. It's like having a custom-tailored 3piece suit on. Depending on what you choose to put on the suit, you'll be paying anywhere from $700 to +$3000.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:51 PM
Back Marker

gssbmm
your best bet if you want a one piece is going to be custom and I would recomend http://www.komodogear.com they have great costermor sevice. and I've seen there suits live through many a crash. if you want a two peice go to some where like cycle gear where you can try on a differnat pants and jacket. and just order them as seperate peices. the frank thomas would most likely be the best cost efficianat option.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:47 PM
Back Marker

steener is on a distinguished road
Talking

Originally Posted by marmaladeboy
You could always go for a custom suit from Kushitani, Syed, Vanson, or ZLeathers (to name only a handful). I have a custom suit from Z, and it rocks. It's like having a custom-tailored 3piece suit on. Depending on what you choose to put on the suit, you'll be paying anywhere from $700 to +$3000.
You wouldn't happen to wear a Duhamel Dragon helmet and like dancing to "My Humps" would you?
Old 05-26-2007, 05:47 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by steener
You wouldn't happen to wear a Duhamel Dragon helmet and like dancing to "My Humps" would you?
No, sorry. My lid is a yellow/blue Daijiro Kato. And I only dance to Freek-a-leek.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:01 PM
Back Marker

rooster is on a distinguished road
Thank you for the advise. I have heard good things about Vanson, see if I can find a dealer nearby.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:43 AM
Superstock

pigwings
Barnacle Bill's
Guaranteed fit, very reasonable price.
http://www.racingleather.com/