my new suit arrived! fieldsheer cyclone tour/commute suit >

my new suit arrived! fieldsheer cyclone tour/commute suit

Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Old 10-25-2010, 09:15 PM
Superstock

thefauxnarchist is on a distinguished road

some of you guys are familiar with these suits, typically 1 piece, ballistic nylon, armored, EASY TO GET IN AND OUT OF, and last but not least, provide you with excellent protection while you commute to work through traffic during rush hour. aerostich is the biggest name among these products, but i decided to give fieldsheer a second try...

anyways, some of you might recall that i picked up a fieldsheer highlander II a while back, in size XL. it was an excellent suit, good build qual, excellent protection, weather proof (for the most part), and extremely easy to get in and out of. i wore it over my work clothes without a problem. however, i made the mistake of buying a size XL which ended up being WAY too big for me. too long, and the shoulder to crotch length was way too long also. made it extremely awkward to walk in and also to ride with since it would balloon really easily.

i finally pulled the trigger and bought the updated version of this suit, the fieldsheer cyclone. this time, i got it in L and im so glad i did--fit's me PERFECTLY. i could possibly use a tiny bit of a hem up, but thats honestly not too big of a deal. fieldsheer left a little bit of extra material by the ankles, without zipper, to do this.

this is my preliminary review, i will do an extended review soon once i get some seat time with the suit. dont worry, ill snap pics too

first impressions: material quality isnt QUITE as good as the highlander II--the armor is a little cheesier (foam instead of normal plastic armor on the hips), and the material isnt as heavy. honestly though, were talking minimal here, but enough to notice. the benefit of slightly lighter material is that the suit will be more comfortable to wear in warmer temps, especially since ill be wearing my work clothes underneath. the pockets and mesh were redesigned, vents seem to be decent, and it includes a removable cold/wet weather collar that will pretty much turn the suit into a turtle neck. the most important areas are still reinforced well--knees, shoulders, elbows.

my favorite part so far though? it fit's FANTASTIC. i should have gotten this sooner when it was $50 cheaper. for reference im 6'0, ~200lbs, 34 waist, 32 inseam (damn i cant believe im a 34 waist...). i do however, miss the single zip, neck to ankle, definitely not a deal breaker though...

for $250+shipping, i feel that it was a damn good deal. so far i would definitely recommend this suit to everyone, especially if you're looking for a budget suit. competitors would be the clearance joe rocket survivor and the olympia phantom. my suit is approx. $150 less though. aerostiches are the de facto standard in this category, but will run approx. $1000 brand new. stiches however are built with visco elastic armor and slightly heavier cordura all around, rather than just in the impact zones.

(had a bunch of soju earlier so if i dont make sense, i apologize* :3

anyways, here is a stock photo of the suit:

stay tuned!