Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Thoughts on riding boots

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 09:05 AM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Sgt Rock
I was wearng the Infinity boot at the time. I have to agree about staying warm or dry in the Oxtar TCS EVO Ti Racing Boots.

what was the cause, etc? I'm still looking into it. Probably the lug nuts backed out on the rear tire. I tightened it to the 77 pounds required in the service manual but then in the online manual it stated 107 pounds.
Lug nuts? Do you mean axle nut or sprocket nuts? I thought the axle nut torque was 69 ft lbs and I've never had mine loosen, as its a metal hy-loc type nut. Also, if it loosened, would you not have heard the chain slapping? What "on-line manual are you referring to?

The Infinitys don't have much protection if I recall correctly. How is your recovery going?
Old 01-10-2008, 09:15 AM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Hit Again

I just got hit again on my Hawk 2 days ago. Another rider T boned me as I was turning. Luckily I was wearing Alpinestars SMX-4 boots. My foot got a little pinched somehow and was sore for a day but thats it. The other guy was wearing work boots and his foot is broken and his bike is totaled. I got hit back in the fall and the other rider took off the peg my foot was on and I never felt a thing. I will NEVER ride without boots again. Insurance should be picking up the bill for my boots this time and I am going to get another pair just like them. They are comfortable especially after they have been broken in, but most of all they are comfortable when I am riding (and crashing haha). I picked them up brand new for a little over $200. WORTH EVERY PENNY!
Old 01-10-2008, 03:36 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Exciting times, eyeyeyyeye.

So, I bought the boots. The oxtar ti racing ones. I figure it is good insurance, and they look sweet.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:01 PM
SuperBike

Oxtar TCS EVI Ti Pre-Ride review

Originally Posted by autoteach
Exciting times, eyeyeyyeye.

So, I bought the boots. The oxtar ti racing ones. I figure it is good insurance, and they look sweet.
If you mean the Oxtar TCS EVI Ti I got my black 45 pair today (in 2 days reg shpg from mc closeouts) and am sitting hear at the pc wearing them. A little flashy for me due the silver pleated instep & white Oxtar logos on shin & heel but if I keep em black magic marker should tone them down. I wear 10.5~11 EE and these fit pretty true and are wider than most Italian boots, though thick socks would never make it. I walked around a it and they were audibly loud (creaking & squeaking) but I used the Dupont Multi-Purpose Lubricant with Teflon (safe for plastics and O-ring chains) instead of the little bottle of silicone provided. I carefully shot it in, worked it in between the triple heel and double ankle sliding planes, immediately wiping away any run-out. The Dupont snot really quieted them down. They are a bit tight in the instep and I could use a bit more width but the toe box is not overly restrictive and the length is groovy. Sitting here I grabed a handy 1.25" dia. wood dowel and I am resting the arches on it like footpegs. They are snug but should break-in and be acceptably comfortable, even though the uppers are not real leather (Lorica is maybe a good thing). The steel mesh covered vents are supposed to give a bit of venting and they seem very well made. The front of the heel is a 90 degree rather than chamfered, which I sometimes prefer but I knew that. I considered the A*s SMX+s, which are very similar excluding the internal speed lacing and including the pleated instep albeit black (versus silver, yech) but for $60 less than the *s and only $10 2-day shipping. I don't know how internal lacing could make the Tis any snugger, as the velcro flap and TCR hinges really make them feel like ski boots. Break-in may be extensive but nothing like Aerostitch-Sid Combat Touring Boots (my much loved but heavy "other" boot). IMO, only the Sidi Vertigo Corsa (a 44 on closeout from Motonation ebay @ current $174 bid + 15 normally $425) and Gaerne G-RS (a best buy @ $263 + 13) offer better protection unless you go really high end with the Dianese boots Val wears. With the weather here I'll have to wait for spring for a true ride report...
Old 01-15-2008, 01:16 AM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

Condor is on a distinguished road
GOt a set of Icon Field Armour boots. like them but they are almost impossible to fit under the shifter...i had to move it p almost all the way....but i really feel like my feet/ankles will be protected in the event of a mishap.....

EDIT: Took the Icons back and got a set of Alpinestars SMX boots. THe bulk of the Icons was too much for me. I couldnt feel the shifter and i was sometimes having to consciously look at my foot in relation to the shifter....not good. I am enjoying the hell out of these SMX boots.....

Last edited by Condor; 01-23-2008 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:33 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
i read this thread and thought: you bling your bike but ride in 6" work boots? so i got some of these :

http://www.newenough.com/boots/water...cle_boots.html

along with some textile pants:

http://www.newenough.com/protective_...overpants.html

should be better than jeans and reasonably comfy. hope the FG pants zip to the ancient Hein Gericke jacket I have. boots are already here, seem to be adequate for street usage.

ps I'm tall, 6'3" so needed a long pant (36" inseam) but have small feet and am sensitive to the half size (10 is too small, 11 is too big) so nice to have the specific sizing
Attached Thumbnails Thoughts on riding boots-default.jpg  

Last edited by LineArrayNut; 04-24-2008 at 12:41 PM. Reason: add an a and sizing
Old 04-24-2008, 03:07 PM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Sgt Rock
I got some new riding boots at a great price from here

www.motorcyclecloseouts.com
I live about 30 minutes from that store...I've been in their retail outlet a bunch and they always have pretty good selection & prices
Old 04-24-2008, 05:30 PM
Squid

PRTSMN is on a distinguished road
i have had a hard time finding boots. size 15 is hard to come by
Old 04-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Squid

fishface is on a distinguished road
i have sidis comfy but squeak like a pig when walking
recently tho im started wearing MXboots more protection especialy the ankle n shin ....
Old 04-25-2008, 04:48 AM
Back Marker

Tom Blum is on a distinguished road
I second the growing move to MX boots.

ADV Rider has had a rash of broken ankles lately. All wearing good gear. In some of the cases, the Doctor stated that , with MX boots, a sprain would have been the extent of the injury.

I'm shopping now.

Tom

Last edited by Tom Blum; 04-25-2008 at 04:48 AM. Reason: spell
Old 04-25-2008, 01:52 PM
JAMES
Superstock
Superstock

Pimpsterbim1 is on a distinguished road
I hear that PRTSMN... my 14's wont fit with the lower cowling on it, unless i wear very thin shoes..
Old 04-25-2008, 04:15 PM
SuperBike

Avoidance Vs Survival

Originally Posted by Tom Blum
I second the growing move to MX boots.

ADV Rider has had a rash of broken ankles lately. All wearing good gear. In some of the cases, the Doctor stated that , with MX boots, a sprain would have been the extent of the injury.

I'm shopping now.

Tom
Besides my yet untested Oxtar TCS EVO Ti's (which are true kick-*** racing boots with anti-twist, heel, toe and shin protection), I have been wearing the Aerostitch Combat Touring Boots (CTB) made by Sidi for many years. They are a cross between a heavy street boot and MX boot but don't give much anti-twist resistance (despite an internal speed lacing system) and have no true armor or a water-resistant membrane. However, they have a padded shin and plenty of heel & toe box protection and a VERY stiff and heavy sole (which can do much to save your foot). I also have an old pair of Teknic Violators I'd rate a 6 out of 10 for features and protection, along with a flashy old pair of Bieffe racing boots that maybe also rate a 6. Back in the day, I started with steel toe'd Engineer boots, then Bates racing boots (which now would be rated on par with slippers), and eventually a fairly good pair of Motoport street boots among others.

The problem with MX boots and even MX Lite boots is the loss of feel that I believe can be just as important as how much anti-twist/armor resistance a boot brings to the tarmac. Even my CTB lack a fair bit of feel a thinner soled and more sensitive true road racing boot provides. Shift accuracy, peg input and rear brake feel can keep you alive, never mind if you survive but have a broken ankle. If MX boots were so good for street and track, then the semi and full-on professionals would be wearing them. Also, do not forget about the rest of your body, particularly your hands. We could go on and on about the merits of one helmet over another, full suits, 2-piece suites, etc. Get what is comfortable and provides the best protection you can afford.

But wearing a Super See-Me Vest (dorky but effective), sticking reflective bits on you and your steed, and running a headlight modulator and some type of rear auxiliary brake and tail light system will keep you out of a mishap. Which is much better than worrying about surviving an "accident" (i.e., there is no such thing as an accident). Avoidance Vs Survival
Old 04-28-2008, 03:16 PM
SuperBike

Even the pro's suffer with the best gear

Tommy Hayden Update
by dean adams
Monday, April 28, 2008

According to his manager, Steve Dictarow, Suzuki rider Tommy Hayden had surgery last night on a badly dislocated left ankle suffered in his crash at Fontana. Dictarow said that efforts to manually put the ankle back into place (ouch!) were not successful and Hayden had to have it done surgically.

The prognosis is good for Hayden's ankle; he should have full range of motion and strength, according to Dictarow. He also said it was far too early to be predicting when Hayden would return to racing action.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:54 PM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
Wow, I hadn't heard that. Bad streak for the Hayden's I guess.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:38 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
Wore the boots this weekend slabbing to ATL. Reasonably comfy. Good feel and walkable at gas stops. Had rain coming back to TN this AM. Socks stayed dry.
Originally Posted by LineArrayNut
i read this thread and thought: you bling your bike but ride in 6" work boots? so i got some of these :

http://www.newenough.com/boots/water...cle_boots.html

along with some textile pants:

http://www.newenough.com/protective_...overpants.html

should be better than jeans and reasonably comfy. hope the FG pants zip to the ancient Hein Gericke jacket I have. boots are already here, seem to be adequate for street usage.

ps I'm tall, 6'3" so needed a long pant (36" inseam) but have small feet and am sensitive to the half size (10 is too small, 11 is too big) so nice to have the specific sizing
Old 06-03-2008, 08:29 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Not intending to jack this thread, but has anybody else noticed that the Suzuki B-King in full frontal view looks like the motorcycle monkeys in the movie "The Wiz".

Check out the Suzuki web site, go to gallery on the B-King and check the full frontal view photo. Would Michael Jackson ride one?
Old 01-17-2009, 08:07 AM
Back Marker

Fish is on a distinguished road
Added security.....was told that when I was riding after dark the first thing someone coming up behind me saw was the reflective dots on my Alpinestars.

Fish