SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Rider's Gear (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/)
-   -   Thoughts on riding boots (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/thoughts-riding-boots-13502/)

divingindaytona 01-04-2008 04:48 PM

Thoughts on riding boots

I have been riding for years now, and I have never thought much of riding footwear.

Now don't get me wrong I am all about wearing a helmet, jacket and gloves. Up until this year I have never thought much about riding boots. I started thinking about it because new enough has had some great deals on boots.

When I ride I wear composite toe, 8 inch high boots.

I was just wondering does anyone have a better suggestion for riding footwear. I want boots that are comfortable for wearing and walking as well. I am not looking to spend a fortune, but I won’t buy crap gear.

Is there a distinctive benefit to using motorcycle specific boots? Or am I best off staying with what I have now?

viperkillertt 01-04-2008 06:25 PM

I wear SIDI racing boots every single time i ever even think about riding. I am a safety guy. I feel super uncomfortable if my ankles are not bound. I tried wearing my dress shoes once, it felt so strange. I never did it again. Also, they are blue. I really like them. :)

cliby 01-04-2008 07:06 PM

I think riding-specific boots usually offer a couple areas of unique protection properties; ankle protection (both crush and abrasion - very easy to slide along and wear through a simple leather boot right into the ankle bone), crush protection on the foot, and some protection against hyperflexion and extension at the ankle. All pretty unique things. Saying that, some boots are better in some/all areas than others. Most of the ones I've tried, even those suitable for racing are actually very comfortable to walk in. I have had several SIDI style boots, very comfortable - the vertebrae in particular is made primarily for a compromise road/track and is about as comfortable a boot as you could imagine. Puma makes a new one that is supposed to be an awesome boot for protection, but I haven't used or tried one on. Others on this site have. Next to a head, I think lower extremities is probably one of the more vulnerable points on the body on a road bike: worth getting some. After a few rides you really feel barefoot riding without them.

viperkillertt 01-04-2008 07:39 PM

I wear my SIDI boots up to 12 hours a day. I just slip in my running in soles and no complaints at all.

SlowHAWK 01-04-2008 07:49 PM

I have been wearing a set of Teknic Violator boots for the last 2 years... They aren't cheap, but I've been pretty happy with them. I can walk reasonable well in them after breaking them in a bit (stairs being the only awkward condition)... and they seem to be pretty good protection wise, although I'm sure some of what's giving the freedom for comfort and walking, comes form the saftey... but 300 times better than sneakers or hiking boots and if your mainly on the street and driving places, they are wonderful.

J.

Shmittay 01-04-2008 09:29 PM

I usually ride with my A Stars S-MX boots. If Im going to the office or I know I am going to be off the bike more than on it a particular day, I use my Rocket street style boots that still offer ankle protection and some hard rubber in the imporatant parts, but allow to be walk comfortably and not like space man.

newb007 01-05-2008 06:51 PM

boots

I have some of the oxtar boots (SS performance) from the new enough clearance and they are very easy to walk in and wear around if needed. I have another pair of boots made by oxtar for BMW and i sometimes where them all day at work since they are black and don't have the sliders on the toe.

oahu hawk 01-05-2008 07:49 PM

+1 for the Oxtar (now TCS) SS Performance 2s from Newenough...I have a wide foot and these fit perfect (Setup Gran Prix, A-Stars SMX-4 and Joe Rockets were all too narrow for me)...great boots for the price...

mikecronis 01-05-2008 08:31 PM

It's important to consider how that peg's gonna smash your ankle when you lowside. I recommend good leather and soles with very good grip that won't slip when you're at a stoplight in sandy conditions. A one or two inch lift adds confidence in shorter riders. Consider girl's boots in a very large size. They look unisex usually and will do the trick (er, if you're short of course).
Also consider something to keep water out when it rains but still ventelates. Most high-end boots in the $300+ range will do all of these things.. but closeouts can be had for half-price of last-year's models.
Consider NewEnough dot com. Returned gear unused.

Since I'm still Air Force active-duty, I wear my combat boots and they do the trick for now and look okay. Air Force is going to cyan suede.. ahem.. no comment. Let's just say I have 2 weeks left and I'm seperated.

superbling 01-05-2008 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by divingindaytona (Post 142053)
I started thinking about it because new enough has had some great deals on boots.

I got a pair of these about 6 months ago and think they are some of the best bang-4-buck gear I've ever bought:

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/b...cle_boots.html

Extremely comfortable walking, riding and waterproof tested (low water crossings in Texas; we don't always build a bridge!). If they still didn't look brand new, I'd order another pair for backup.

radbikers 01-06-2008 01:50 AM

Another vote for Sidi boots. I have a pair of race boots as well as a pair of all-weather (TRULY waterproof) Sidi Sympatex touring boots. I can walk all day in either pair of them. A little pricy, but how much do you value your feet?...

captainchaos 01-06-2008 06:20 AM

Buy the best you can afford period...The lower leg protection is priceless. Many good deals for lightly used stuff on ebay too if you know your size-so no excuse to cheap out. Another thing no one really thinks of is that lightweight racing boots also put much less stress on your bones and knees should you god forbid ever hit something, unlike a heavy pair of say steel toed work boots which can really weigh your lower leg down and create some momentum. I also like to wear a pair of fox mountainbike shin/knee guards under my pants which have enabled me to walk away from a lowside-pretty good for $30 on ebay. They also do a killer job of eliminating the wind blast in cool/cold weather. You should never be worried about what you look like when it comes to proper protection on your bike.

captainchaos 01-06-2008 06:28 AM

WARNING-GRAPHIC

3 Attachment(s)
Here...nuff said. Oh and this is a full week after the accident too so believe it or not these look alot better. This and a year's worth of learning to walk again could have been at least greatly reduced for a few hundred bucks in proper gear (instead of almost $100k for just the initial weeks stay in the hospital). Yes that's me from a long time ago when I wore all the upper body gear but with just pants and regular shoes. Yeah if you buy the neon orange blue and white mick doohan replicas they look silly, but I own a pair of all black alpinestar gp techs with a carbon shinguard and my pants over them so they're not too noticeable. All I think they do if someone sees them is lets them know I got there on a motorcycle. Sorry for being gross but trying to prove a point and maybe save someone some grief when shit happens.

ghopki1 01-07-2008 10:06 AM

That sure drives your point home.:eek::eek:

MUHerdFan 01-07-2008 10:41 AM

CaptainChaos....thanks for the pics during lunchtime! It's a good thing that I also have the ability to eat cheeseburgers while performing necropsies on fish, otherwise, I'm pretty sure that I'd be singing over the toilet. Wow, that really illustrates why I always wear my gear.

In addition to a helmet with a reflective halo, an armored jacket and gloves, and Bohn Under Armor pants worn under kevlar jeans, I have these..

http://www.newenough.com/boots/sport...cle_boots.html

I was running skinny on cash, otherwise I probably would have bought a better pair. I was wearing hiking boots on my first bike, a Hawk GT, when I put my feet down on some oil at a stop sign and nearly fell over. I would have felt like a douchebag more because it was my own fault.

L8RGYZ 01-07-2008 11:20 AM

Thanks for making the point 'chaos. Easy to forget the results of poor gear or riding mistakes.

captainchaos 01-07-2008 01:06 PM

You're welcome :) anytime... in case you're wondering that's five broken toes (two smashed), torn knee, ankle, and leg broken in a couple places. The four holes-foot, ankle, and two on the leg took four months to close and were still bleeding at work two months later...just trying to drive the point home and help somebody out-eat ramen noodles for a few weeks and buy good stuff.

Kendrick 01-07-2008 01:25 PM

+1 on newenough. I got the Sid B-2's, not race boots, but a lot better than dress shoes. It doesn't matter much here these days, but I still have two extra pairs of dress shoes in my desk. I can ride in, take off my aerostich, change shoes and pretend I'm normal until it's time to go home.

Oh wait, I don't think I have any of these people fooled.

Condor 01-07-2008 01:28 PM

I just googled "motorcycle accident" the other day and chose images and just looked at the pictures. i do that every so often to remind myself that im not on a toy and i need to keep my head out of my ass and wear all of my gear.
just got a pair of these.... http://www.newenough.com/boots/racin...ace_boots.html

to replace my old boots and i really like them for the price.... and i bought a new set of Icon leg armour the other day (I usually do not buy Icon products because of their usual "DAZZLING ARRAY OF BLING!!!! WOOT, WOOT!!!" style, but the leg armour was pretty bad ass)

seems like we just forget that our feet are so vulnerable....i live in a college town, so i see A LOT of people riding in the uniform of shorts/tshirt/and friggin SANDALS when its warm out.....i always think to myself "i hope that guy catches a pebble to the top of his foot at about 60, then i bet he will put the Reefs away"

Sgt Rock 01-07-2008 04:36 PM

I got some new riding boots at a great price from here

www.motorcyclecloseouts.com

skokievtr 01-08-2008 04:33 AM

Even though I can't afford them, I just ordered these http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/s...i+racing+boots in Black / 45 because I've never been happy with my Teknic (older version of the Violators) supposidly waterproof "sport" boots that are hot, tight, leak like a sieve, and for the $130 I paid for them at least 6 years ago, offer little protection. I researched everything available and the Oxtars came up the best for the money. They supposidly squeek and creak when you walk (they come with lube but a post on another forum said vaseline works better) and are kind of flashy but maybe if I keep them a black magic marker can tone them down. They are supposed to fit true to size and be cut for wider feet (like mine), and be surprisingly comfortable, run pretty cool but leak due to the vents (a pair of overboots pack small). I still have my pristine and re-soled Sidi-made Aerostitch Combat Touting boots for cold weather and extended rides; they are heavy, a bit warm, somewhat clumsy and without control feel but almost waterproof, comfy and good in cold weather and for on-off riding. I wanted something like the A*s or Sidi Vs with better feel and significantly better protection for "sport" riding (if you can call how cautious I ride anymore that).

Sgt Rock 01-08-2008 08:32 PM

I bought the same pair and when tried on the right one it fit awesome. Once my cast comes off I'll put them both on

redman 01-09-2008 05:31 PM

I crushed my left ankle going down at Sear's Point and immediately shopped for full leathers and proper boots. Local Craigs got me Fieldsheer with complete armour in perfect shape and fit me like a custom set for 165bux. Ebay got me used but in fine shape Sidi Vertabraes for 65bux.....you don't have to spend a lot just spend it smart. btw, The ankle is 95% better but still hurts after three months. Wish I'd bought the Sidis before track day..............

viperkillertt 01-09-2008 05:41 PM

I agree, i got my sidi's for about 150, but they were like over 300 originally. Also they are blue, you don't see too many blue pairs of boots.

junocdx 01-09-2008 08:53 PM

Sorry for the slight threadjack...
How do the Sidi boots fit? There is a closeout pair in size 46 which is supposed to be 11-11.5. I wear 11.5-12. I'd hate to get boots that don't fit well.

Sgt Rock 01-09-2008 08:54 PM

I loved my Sidi's but they needed to be replaced. The sole was coming off. I picked up the Oxtar's since I've been wearing the Oxtar Infinity boot to commute with. My feet never get cold in the winter or wet in the rain. I wrecked three weeks ago on the interstate going about 65 mph and the Oxtar's did their job, but the BMW landing on my leg is what fractured my Fibula. I have a ton of faith in the Oxtar's and besides if Jake Zemke can wear them so can I.

skokievtr 01-09-2008 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Sgt Rock (Post 142911)
I loved my Sidi's but they needed to be replaced. The sole was coming off. I picked up the Oxtar's since I've been wearing the Oxtar Infinity boot to commute with. My feet never get cold in the winter or wet in the rain. I wrecked three weeks ago on the interstate going about 65 mph and the Oxtar's did their job, but the BMW landing on my leg is what fractured my Fibula. I have a ton of faith in the Oxtar's and besides if Jake Zemke can wear them so can I.

Sorry to hear about your crash, what was the cause, etc? Which Oxtars do you have or were you wearing? Unless you are a real caveman, your feet won't stay warm or dry in something like the Oxtar TCS EVO Ti Racing Boots.

Sgt Rock 01-10-2008 07:27 AM

I was wearng the Infinity boot at the time. I have to agree about staying warm or dry in the Oxtar TCS EVO Ti Racing Boots.

what was the cause, etc? I'm still looking into it. Probably the lug nuts backed out on the rear tire. I tightened it to the 77 pounds required in the service manual but then in the online manual it stated 107 pounds.

superbling 01-10-2008 07:43 AM

Not to hi-jack a good thread but Rock do you know abour BMW rear end failures? You probably do.

Sgt Rock 01-10-2008 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by superbling (Post 142968)
Not to hi-jack a good thread but Rock do you know abour BMW rear end failures? You probably do.

yeah I do, and after my accident I don't plan on jumping on a BMW anytime soon. I know they're great bikes but my personal experience with them I'll most likely not own another one. I have been looking for a replacement for it and I'm really leaning towards either a V-Max or the new Suzuki B-King. I need another commuter bike.