Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Satellite Radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Back Marker

DocPigskin17 is on a distinguished road
Satellite Radio

I was wondering if anyone has hooked up a satellite radio reciever to their ride. If so, how? (ie bracket, wiring, wireless headphones, ect...).
Thanks in advance
Ride on...
Old 05-12-2009, 02:01 PM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
Check out these guys, www.tss-radio.com They are very good and have motorcycle specific kits.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Squid

dakmatik is on a distinguished road
Save your money and just hook a car kit up on the bike. I have XM on mine. I just bought the radio with the car kit, and stuck the base onto the triple.
You will need to wire in a power outlet to the battery. I say the battery, because I tried wiring it into the lighting circuit and I got a tone of alternator wine. After you're wired up, just run the cables to wherever you decide to mount it. I set the antenna on top of my brake fluid reservoir, and have no troubles with it there. All in all you will end up with a little bit of extra wire to hide, mainly the antenna wire, but it's an easy installation.
Most carkits have a line out jack that you can either hook into a communicator, or plug a pair of headphones into.
Here's a picutre of mine all set up along with my gps.
Name:  Picture004.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  95.0 KB
Old 05-12-2009, 05:42 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Wow, you have everything on there

Originally Posted by dakmatik
Save your money and just hook a car kit up on the bike. I have XM on mine. I just bought the radio with the car kit, and stuck the base onto the triple.
You will need to wire in a power outlet to the battery. I say the battery, because I tried wiring it into the lighting circuit and I got a tone of alternator wine. After you're wired up, just run the cables to wherever you decide to mount it. I set the antenna on top of my brake fluid reservoir, and have no troubles with it there. All in all you will end up with a little bit of extra wire to hide, mainly the antenna wire, but it's an easy installation.
Most carkits have a line out jack that you can either hook into a communicator, or plug a pair of headphones into.
Here's a picutre of mine all set up along with my gps.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:37 PM
Back Marker

DocPigskin17 is on a distinguished road
No doubt, you are all set up to put on some miles in style. How did you mount the car kit to the triple? Zip ties? Hard to tell from the pics. Also, double sided tape to mount the antenna to the brake resevoir?
Old 05-13-2009, 02:59 AM
Squid

I mounted the car kit to the triples with double sided sticky tape. For the antenna I used the double sided tape again and put a small, thin piece of galvanized steel cut to fit, so the antenna is held on by the magnet.
I'll take some more pictures tonight after work of the base and post them up.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:09 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

5150 is on a distinguished road
I mounted the car kit to the triples with double sided sticky tape. For the antenna I used the double sided tape again and put a small, thin piece of galvanized steel cut to fit, so the antenna is held on by the magnet.
I'll take some more pictures tonight after work of the base and post them up.

so where are the new pictures coming in? i been waiting to see this mount for a while now.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:11 PM
Squid

Oops! I forgot all about it. I got busy preparing for my trip down to NC I totally spaced it off. Now that that's all done with I'll get them done ASAP.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:44 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

Oops! I forgot all about it. I got busy preparing for my trip down to NC I totally spaced it off. Now that that's all done with I'll get them done ASAP.
awesome thank you. i have been eagerly awaiting seeing all your mounting tips and tricks up close. i am curios too about something. what do you do when it rains? just not use these items or have you found a way to make it all still work?

I was thinking about doing some kind of clear lexan box with you know a waterproof seal around the opening. any thoughts on these kinds of things?
Old 06-29-2009, 08:44 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

one more question. do you use jacked in earphones? or some other method to hear your tunes?
Old 07-12-2009, 10:56 AM
Squid

Chilly996 is on a distinguished road
I'd love to see those pics as well!!!!!!