SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Rider's Gear (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/)
-   -   Satellite Radio (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/satellite-radio-18669/)

DocPigskin17 05-12-2009 01:50 PM

Satellite Radio

I was wondering if anyone has hooked up a satellite radio reciever to their ride. If so, how? (ie bracket, wiring, wireless headphones, ect...).
Thanks in advance
Ride on...

steve.g 05-12-2009 02:01 PM

Check out these guys, www.tss-radio.com They are very good and have motorcycle specific kits.

dakmatik 05-12-2009 02:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Save your money and just hook a car kit up on the bike. I have XM on mine. I just bought the radio with the car kit, and stuck the base onto the triple.
You will need to wire in a power outlet to the battery. I say the battery, because I tried wiring it into the lighting circuit and I got a tone of alternator wine. After you're wired up, just run the cables to wherever you decide to mount it. I set the antenna on top of my brake fluid reservoir, and have no troubles with it there. All in all you will end up with a little bit of extra wire to hide, mainly the antenna wire, but it's an easy installation.
Most carkits have a line out jack that you can either hook into a communicator, or plug a pair of headphones into.
Here's a picutre of mine all set up along with my gps.
Attachment 29434

RickB 05-12-2009 05:42 PM

Wow, you have everything on there :)

Originally Posted by dakmatik (Post 216217)
Save your money and just hook a car kit up on the bike. I have XM on mine. I just bought the radio with the car kit, and stuck the base onto the triple.
You will need to wire in a power outlet to the battery. I say the battery, because I tried wiring it into the lighting circuit and I got a tone of alternator wine. After you're wired up, just run the cables to wherever you decide to mount it. I set the antenna on top of my brake fluid reservoir, and have no troubles with it there. All in all you will end up with a little bit of extra wire to hide, mainly the antenna wire, but it's an easy installation.
Most carkits have a line out jack that you can either hook into a communicator, or plug a pair of headphones into.
Here's a picutre of mine all set up along with my gps.
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...Picture004.jpg

DocPigskin17 05-12-2009 06:37 PM

No doubt, you are all set up to put on some miles in style. How did you mount the car kit to the triple? Zip ties? Hard to tell from the pics. Also, double sided tape to mount the antenna to the brake resevoir?

dakmatik 05-13-2009 02:59 AM

I mounted the car kit to the triples with double sided sticky tape. For the antenna I used the double sided tape again and put a small, thin piece of galvanized steel cut to fit, so the antenna is held on by the magnet.
I'll take some more pictures tonight after work of the base and post them up.

5150 06-29-2009 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by dakmatik (Post 216301)
I mounted the car kit to the triples with double sided sticky tape. For the antenna I used the double sided tape again and put a small, thin piece of galvanized steel cut to fit, so the antenna is held on by the magnet.
I'll take some more pictures tonight after work of the base and post them up.

so where are the new pictures coming in? i been waiting to see this mount for a while now.

dakmatik 06-29-2009 07:11 PM

Oops! I forgot all about it. I got busy preparing for my trip down to NC I totally spaced it off. Now that that's all done with I'll get them done ASAP.

5150 06-29-2009 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by dakmatik (Post 224630)
Oops! I forgot all about it. I got busy preparing for my trip down to NC I totally spaced it off. Now that that's all done with I'll get them done ASAP.

awesome thank you. i have been eagerly awaiting seeing all your mounting tips and tricks up close. i am curios too about something. what do you do when it rains? just not use these items or have you found a way to make it all still work?

I was thinking about doing some kind of clear lexan box with you know a waterproof seal around the opening. any thoughts on these kinds of things?

5150 06-29-2009 08:44 PM

one more question. do you use jacked in earphones? or some other method to hear your tunes?

Chilly996 07-12-2009 10:56 AM

I'd love to see those pics as well!!!!!!