General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

A Newbie's Version Of The Superbike Kit And Sirius Radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 06:13 AM
Squid

DBLJ is on a distinguished road
A Newbie's Version Of The Superbike Kit And Sirius Radio

well i am new around here but i figured i would show you guy's my version of the superbike bar kit and my serious satellite mount for any one interested.i read the two posts on the superbike bar conversion and thought i could do it and not have to trim my fairing.so i ordered a zeta handle bar clamp and zeta enduro 1 1/8 bar from forrest at wheeling supply(great guy with awesome customer service)the top clamp was roughly $30 and the bars were $65 dollars.the reason i ordered a zeta clamp is i was looking for a top clamp that would hold 1 1/8 bars and be narrow enough to mount my cycle gadgets sirius satellite radio mount.the reason i ordered the zeta enduro bars is because i wanted very little rise but lot's of pullback.between the rise in the clamp and the rise in bar's this made a huge improvement in overall comfort(i bought this for sport touring)the install was pretty straight forward,i did unhook the carb cables at the carb to reroute them that was about the extent of the the labor.with a little tweaking everything fit and worked the way i had hoped.the bars clear the fairing on both sides and have plenty of room.so this is a version of the superbike bar kit anyone can do for about $100 and not have to trim your fairing.the serius i hooked up is a streamer gt with a cycle gadgets brake or clutch mount and i clamped it directly to the zeta top clamp.fits awesome and is easiy to read the screen.
Name:  P6240148.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  90.1 KB
Name:  P6240150.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  87.1 KB
Name:  P6240151.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  80.5 KB
Old 06-26-2007, 07:43 AM
Back Marker

bluevtr
Hey! Welcome to the site, first of all. Secondly, nice job choosing the fastest color Hawk : ).

I like the looks of this alot. Been thinking about doing this mod but didn't want to trim any body work. Can the bars go to full lock without hitting the tank? Any other helpful hints you can think to share? Are you planning on keeping the stock mirrors or going with bar ends?

Thanks for the idea...
Old 06-26-2007, 07:55 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by bluevtr
Hey! Welcome to the site, first of all. Secondly, nice job choosing the fastest color Hawk : ).

I like the looks of this alot. Been thinking about doing this mod but didn't want to trim any body work. Can the bars go to full lock without hitting the tank? Any other helpful hints you can think to share? Are you planning on keeping the stock mirrors or going with bar ends?

Thanks for the idea...
the bars do go to full lock and do touch the tank,but you would have to pull on them very hard for them to do any damage.and yes i am planning on keeping the stock mirrors on for now.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:00 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by DBLJ
.so this is a version of the superbike bar kit anyone can do for about $100 and not have to trim your fairing.the serius i hooked up is a streamer gt with a cycle gadgets brake or clutch mount and i clamped it directly to the zeta top clamp.fits awesome and is easiy to read the screen.
So basically you ended up with as much rise as a helibar or VFR bar mod but with more pullback. Cool. You can trim the handle bar ends down and add universal end mounts so you don't have to space out the controls and have those gaps.

BTW, the Zeta "top clamp" as you call it could be mistaken by many as the superhawks' top triple clamp. You should edit and refer to it as the bar mount to avoid any confusion. Pics of the mod without the receiver mounted would be great too.

Now get a bigger tank, corbin/sargent seat, and drop the pegs and you will have a serious mileage eater!
Old 06-26-2007, 08:04 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Has it been a month already since a fastest colour thread?
Old 06-26-2007, 08:06 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
the bars do go to full lock and do touch the tank,but you would have to pull on them very hard for them to do any damage.
Didn't see that part. Hmm. Since I use a tank bag, that would definitely cause issues.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:29 AM
Squid

this mod does not interfere with my motopak 8 liter strapped tank bag,you may have a larger one that may not work but i fitted mine last night with no issues.the bars are higher then the vfr clip ons or the heli bars would of been.from what i have read they only gain you about 1 1/2 inches,at the grip area i am gonna guess i gained about 2 1/2 -3". the reason this still works with that much rise is the amount of pullback in the bars. and im not concerned if it has gaps in between the controls because that is partly the reason you don't have to trim the fairing the fairing when turned goes in between those gaps with plenty of clearance.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:32 AM
Squid

btw... sorry i forgot to take pictures of just the handle bar mount with no radio on it.next time it is apart i will snap a few shots and add them on this post.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:24 PM
Back Marker

bowhawk is on a distinguished road
Looks great. Is the clamp one piece? Pictures would be great.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:29 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by bowhawk
Looks great. Is the clamp one piece? Pictures would be great.
YES THE CLAMP IS ONE PIECE
Old 06-26-2007, 05:01 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Details

Could you be more specific as to what clamp & bar you used; i.e., on the zeta racing site? Exactly which riser, height, bars, etc.?

thanks

http://www.zeta-racing.com/clamps/index.html

well i am new around here but i figured i would show you guy's my version of the superbike bar kit and my serious satellite mount for any one interested.i read the two posts on the superbike bar conversion and thought i could do it and not have to trim my fairing.so i ordered a zeta handle bar clamp and zeta enduro 1 1/8 bar from forrest at wheeling supply(great guy with awesome customer service)the top clamp was roughly $30 and the bars were $65 dollars.the reason i ordered a zeta clamp is i was looking for a top clamp that would hold 1 1/8 bars and be narrow enough to mount my cycle gadgets sirius satellite radio mount.the reason i ordered the zeta enduro bars is because i wanted very little rise but lot's of pullback.between the rise in the clamp and the rise in bar's this made a huge improvement in overall comfort(i bought this for sport touring)the install was pretty straight forward,i did unhook the carb cables at the carb to reroute them that was about the extent of the the labor.with a little tweaking everything fit and worked the way i had hoped.the bars clear the fairing on both sides and have plenty of room.so this is a version of the superbike bar kit anyone can do for about $100 and not have to trim your fairing.the serius i hooked up is a streamer gt with a cycle gadgets brake or clutch mount and i clamped it directly to the zeta top clamp.fits awesome and is easiy to read the screen.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:05 PM
SuperBike

Did you..

Did you use the OEM top triple clamp & drill it to accept the Zeta risers (which exact part #s) or did tyou buy their "kit" http://www.zeta-racing.com/clamps/clamp_kit/index.html (which one) and find a way to mout the ignition switch? I guess picture w/o the radio would help understand better.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:50 AM
Squid

i used the rx clamp kit #w-90 and the sxseries bars #ed low black(enduro low in black) and yes it does bolt directly to the stock triple clamp and i did not have to move the stock ignition switch.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:54 AM
SuperBike

Bar ends & vibration

What did you use for bar ends (and how will trimming the length effect them) and how is vibration compared to the OEM bars? How angled inward are your wrists compared to the OEM position and control feel? Was it difficult drilling the new bar for the control pod pins and finding the right position for the pins? Did you reinforce the bottom of the OEM top triple clamp and where exactly did you drill the holes in it? Is the steering stem hole blocked by the kit's bar one piece bar cross clamp, and could not the 2 separate bar top clamps be ordered instead of the 1-piece bar top clamp? You stated that trimming the bar will keep the bar ends from contacting the tank; how much needs to be cut off to do that?

It appears you used the RX Clamp Kit W-90, were the bolts very long; did you have to use a lot of wasgers or shorten and re-thread the M-12 bolts? What height to the bare CL are the W-90 risers compared to the "Lower Bar Clamp" (height TBD); which appears could be used with their separate riser clamp caps so as not to block the stering stem hole a(nd expose the middle of the bar for standard pipe bar GPS or other mounts)?

Thanks.

i used the rx clamp kit #w-90 and the sxseries bars #ed low black(enduro low in black) and yes it does bolt directly to the stock triple clamp and i did not have to move the stock ignition switch.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:07 AM
Back Marker

bluevtr
Wow, we have a lot of questions for you, huh. Are you sorry you posted? Seriously, it really looks good, quite tempting, and I'm sure everyone here appreciates all the advice.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:45 AM
Back Marker

Besucher98
Don't forget the Double-Bubble or Touring windscreen before you do that Sport-Touring!

Good job and good luck.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:06 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
Is that sirius radio waterproof? I get caught out in the rain a lot... seems like an expensive piece of equipment to lose to water damage... I have speakers in my helmet.. and an MP3 player ($30, 512m) that I hang of it... no big loss if it gets wet, and no cables flapping in the wind or running up my arm..
Old 07-17-2007, 10:09 AM
Back Marker

DocPigskin17 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Sirius..ly

I guess I am apparently the only one who is digging the sirius satellite radio mount. I have sirius in the car and love it. If I took more long distance trips with the bike, it would definetely be a must. Looks great, and very functional which is always important. How do you hear the sirius? Wireless headphones?
Old 07-17-2007, 11:31 AM
Back Marker

bluevtr
I've got XM on the 'Wing, and it is indeed a sanity saver on long days. But I never really spend that much time on the Hawk to bother. But I am seriously looking at those bars. Gotta do something about the hand numbing or it's gonna be trade time.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:38 AM
Back Marker

bluevtr
Ok, maybe I'm just having a dumb day or something, but I've been on the Zeta site, and although I see the RX clamp kit, I don't see any mention of r-90 or anything similar. Do you happen to know the actual part #? Or could you post up pics of the top triple clamp area so we can see exactly what you've done?

Thanks in advance...
Old 03-04-2008, 09:52 PM
Squid

jim2000VTR is on a distinguished road
DBLJ- any chance we could get you to provide more detail on this conversion... the Zeta p/n's and some more detailed pics? I am thinking of buying a second upper triple and starting down this road, but need more detail. I like the fact that your mod does not require trimming the fairing, of course. But did you mount to the existing upper triple clamp, or replace it with one from Zeta, or does the one from Zeta clamp above it? I for one am still not comprehending all of this, even tho it appears simple.

Inquiring minds want to know...

thanks!

jim
Old 03-05-2008, 09:53 AM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
DBLJ - nice mod. I won't ask any questons, but I will subscribe to this thread.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:05 PM
Back Marker

StoneJrW is on a distinguished road
I would like more info also. P/N's and how to for the bar conversion.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Squid

jim2000VTR is on a distinguished road
OK... any ideas how we can scare DLBJ out of the shadows to answer this? Or would Kai (as I recall) or someone else who has drilled their upper triple comment on this? I wanna buy another triple and get the drill press in action... this is interesting.

Anyone know how much hassle it is to get longer cables/brake lines for such a thing? Special order and $$$ I presume?

jim (full of questions..)
Old 03-05-2008, 06:24 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
when I put the spiegler superbke kit on a few years ago, the only cable option needed was longer brake lines. I used the excuse to upgrade to braided still and think they were 2 in. longer but you could check the spieglerusa site to verify. they carry them obviously.